Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Dt466 / hx40

Hi folks,

I see lots of talk about replacing the turbo on the mechanical DT466s with HX40 turbos, but I don't see anyone who actually did it I'm looking at this turbo from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141611196444

It's really cheap. My concern is mainly the turbine outlet flange. On our OEM turbos, the flange is really just a straight tube that clamps to some flex hose that feeds the engine. The HX40W has a flange that requires a V clamp. Hell I could just take a grinder and grind it down, I suppose. Does anybody who's installed an HX40W have a pic or description of how you handled that? Also, any commentary on HX40 vs HX40W would be welcome too. I understand the W means wastegate, but I don't see how that's a problem. Otherwise, a straight HX40 like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/4035235-Turbo...9311987&sr=8-8

Looks to be a reasonable option, if the W is undesirable. Thank you for any and all comments

ster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Dang. I shoulda put this in the Navistar / Int'l forum. My bad!
Old 08-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Chinese turbos are cheap for a reason. Fit and finish is typically subpar, and the assemblies are rarely balanced. With something that's spinning 100k rpm you need it to be balanced, or expect it to be short lived.

What's wrong with your current turbo? What's your goal with the swap? I don't know how much an upgrade an hx40 would be over what you currently have without knowing which specific turbo you're looking at and which specific turbo you're replacing.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I’m going to be cranking up the fuel pump and the 466 is known to run high EGTs with that. So a little bigger turbo to keep the EGTs down and give er a little more boost is the plan. The HX40 is going to be a little slower to spool up, but the additional fuel and timing will accommodate for that, I’m thinking. My primary goal is to pull the mountains around here a little better. That thing is never going to go 70, or be anything but the slowest turkey on the road, but just a tad more oomph on the grades would be nice.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'll say it again. I don't know how much an upgrade an hx40 would be over what you currently have without knowing which specific turbo you're looking at and which specific turbo you're replacing. The Dt466 was made in some version for nearly 50 years with all matter of turbos, intercoolers, pumps, etc.

I'm asking for your current turbo model and specs. What year and HP dt466 are we talking about.

The stock turbo on the later higher hp dt466's and dt530's was a gt3782, and were good for over 300 hp. The gt3782 is similar in size to an hx40, and will offer similar performance. So an hx40 wouldn't be much of an upgrade per se. If you're looking for more HP then 300, go with an s400 based charger. That's if your engine and bus is capable. You'll need a good radiator, fan, and intercooler to keep this thing from melting down like chernobyl if you go real high.

But 300 hp in a school bus would be more then adequate I would assume. Most come with 250 or less.