Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 01:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Engine swap to different engine, vt365 for dt466 or dt466e

I have a 2005 IC bus with a vt365 and an allison 2500. The bus body and frame and interior are in great shape. The engine doesn't run.

I am considering trying to put a different engine, perhaps a mechanical dt466 or dt466e, in place of the vt365. I have some questions:

- does the allison 2500 have a stand-alone controller, or is it integrated with the engine controller?

- the accelerator pedal is electronic. Would it be practical to fab up a cable to connect to it so that it can also control the engine throttle for a dt466?

- would I be able to tie in and use the tachometer and gauges? I assume those are electronic. Is there any reasonable expecation that I would be able to use them with a different or non-electronic engine?

- would it be better to use a dt466e or dt466?

- if I did use a DT466e, would it almost be a direct swap, and just change the computers? Would wiring connections be the same?

Basically I would like to make something out of this bus. If it would be worth it, at all. I understand that it would not be simple. But it would be great to have a double-overdrive transmission behind a great engine. So perhaps it could be worth it?

wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:18 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
A guess

The transmission may perform better with dr466e. This will not be a direct swap. Considering that both engines have a front mount near the pulley the rear will further back . Drive shaft, engine/transmission mounts will be in a different place. Placement of alternator, air compressor, fuel line, radiator hoses, radiator fans, all are likely to be in different places, and that means different connections. Then, I suppose there might be a different engine cover if this is a front engine bus.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:24 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The DT466 is a physically longer engine than the VT365, you'd have to cut the firewall.
Easier swap would probably be to a T444E, which is about the same length, though for the cost involved, you could just as cheaply, and much more easily buy a bus already equipped with one.
If you are determined to swap engines anyway, why bother with a DT466 if you can move on up to something even more powerful than that, like an M11 Cummins, a 60-series Detroit, a 3406 Cat, or an ISX Cummins?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for the wiring to be a direct swap youd need an EGR 04+ 466E as the ECM-II connectoirs are different than the pre EGR.. a swap i wouldnt make..

a DT swap needs all kinds of new stuff.. the radiator and CAC are different, coolant system, esp if you go to a pre 04 466E now you need complete new harnesses .. a mechanical 466.. youll need a throttle box to run the trans.. and it will be mediocre..

the allison runs best when fully integrated to an engine computer.. you can ake them work standalone but its a crappy integration..

whats wrong with the 365? is it blown up was it a bus bought as a non-runner?

you can build anything you want like brad says but how much fab and custom integration are you willing to do? and how much $$? if you are thiunking an engine swap is a money saver? Wrong..

if you want to build a cool as hell rig then build it and be ready for some fab and $$ and fun. if you are looking to just get on the road then either fix the VT or scrap the bus and buy another one
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote