Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #1

Engine won't start, please help

I have a 2002 international diesel shorty. It has worked fine in the past. Now when i put the key in and turn it a light turns on saying "wait" (it also did that in the past), and there is a loud whirring under the dashboard. the whirring gets worse when i depress the brakes. And then...nothing. I can't turn it on. The battery reads as having juice, but it doesnt even try to turn over. What am i missing? thank you!

seldomseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
I have a 2002 international diesel shorty. It has worked fine in the past. Now when i put the key in and turn it a light turns on saying "wait" (it also did that in the past), and there is a loud whirring under the dashboard. the whirring gets worse when i depress the brakes. And then...nothing. I can't turn it on. The battery reads as having juice, but it doesnt even try to turn over. What am i missing? thank you!
Having trouble figuring out what kind of whirring. Obviously it is not trying to turn over at the starter, so the issue can be narrowed between the ignition and starter. It could be a number of things, So I would like to see a video with this sound.

Mind not any "Wait," "Wait to Start," "Plugs," or "Glow Plugs." Diesels that use glow plugs, must cycle them before starting. Starting while they are on can damage the glow plugs. And it will also be more difficult to turn due to the huge power draw glow plugs have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
The sound under the dash that gets louder when you step on the brake sounds like the electric brake booster. No relationship to the no start.
Check all doors for interlocks, check the starter solenoid, wiggle the shifter, wiggle the ignition...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
What's the actual battery voltage?

What engine?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
What's the actual battery voltage?

What engine?
Yep- fill in your vehicle profile if you expect the experts to chime-in.

And come-back and report what the issue/fix was is good practice.

Welcome !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #6

It's a DT444 with an alison 545...
Old 08-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #7

The voltage is 12.9 as read by a volt meter.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #8

It looks like in the battery box there was a ground canle that is no longer attached to anything. Could that be the issue? What was it supposed to be attached to?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
It looks like in the battery box there was a ground canle that is no longer attached to anything. Could that be the issue? What was it supposed to be attached to?
well, on my bus, one end goes to the frame, the other to the negative battery posts.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
If your engine is a T444E the wait to start light is a normal function when starting. It lights up when the glow plug controller starts to work and goes out when it finishes the cycle. You won't start that engine when it is cold without the glow plugs.

If you have hydraulic brakes you will have an electric override safety feature. Basically it is an electric motor that creates hydraulic pressure to pressurize your power brake system. When the engine is running you get pressure from the power steering pump.

If nothing happens when you turn the key to the start position one of several things is going on. The most common is the gear selector is not in neutral. Cycle the shifter between forward/neutral/reverse and back again a couple of times to make sure it is actually in neutral.

The next most common problem in regards to the starter not engaging is an interlock is keeping the starter from working. Vandal locks not in the open position, emergency exits/door/hatch not all the way closed and latched, lift door not closed and latched, etc. If everything that is supposed to be closed and latched is and everything that is supposed to be unlocked is unlocked then the other options become more of a problem.

Knowing which engine, transmission, and bus body you have will make diagnosing the problem easier.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
12.9v is a freshly charged battery so your charging system looks fine. Touch one tester lead to the positive battery post and the other to a clean spot on the body or frame. If you read 0v or low voltage your ground connections need cleaning. If you see 12.9v you need to look at the stuff Cowlitz mentioned.