Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2023, 08:26 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
For new diesel owners: Tips if your bus suddenly won't start.

Hiya, all. I've had quite a few questions this winter, from folks whose bus won't start. In most cases, the engines seemed to be mechanically sound...they worked fine when parked but now they won't start, after sitting for some time.

It's cold out, so the issues might be related to that. But they may have also lost prime in the fuel system.

One case in particular prompted me to make a video, because I was trying to explain what to look for at the tailpipe while they cranked the engine. So, I shot some video clips of two tailpipes during cranking...one with fuel (lots of white smoke) and one that's not getting fuel (almost no white smoke). It helped that I had an engine in one vehicle that wouldn't start. And...this project morphed into making a long (possibly too long) video to help new bus owners in the same situation.

https://youtu.be/3XkAU-iiNpM

And yes...I fumbled the description of the Pitman arm and steering linkage...I should have re-shot that portion, but it wasn't relevant to the no-start issue and I didn't want to go back and shoot that all again. Color me old and lazy!

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote