Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Me
Engine: Series 60
Getting rid of old fuel tanks

Hello,

So I've been trying to get rid of these spare fuel tanks that I got from auction. Every scrap yard I've called have told me the tanks needs to be cut in half, I ask them if they do it or if they know of any place that does it and they've told me no.

I dont get how I'm suppose to properly recycle these things if no one wants to take them? I don't have the necessary tools to cut into one, so any ideas?

the7exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
what size and how many?
could be repurposed with someone with the know how?
auxiliary fuel tank for a generator or APU and so on?
in the farming construction industry and an auxiliary fuel cell and so on?
repurposing is still kind of recycling.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You really only need to cut holes in them to scrap them. I had a deal with a local propane company. I would cut the bowl ends off them and make fire pits from them. I would return the tube to the propane company and they lt me keep the bowls. I thought they were losing money because the bowls are the heaviest part. Thats when they told me they had to hire a welder to cut holes in them before they could salvage them, what they loose in weight they save on welder. I would run a hose from my exhaust pipe into the tank for about 20 minutes to neutralize the fumes. You can imagine my anxiety the first time I put that plasma cutter tip to the tank. Called my exwife and said if you hear a big boom, hang up and get 911 heading my way.

Site not letting me post my Photobucket pics, been posting them all week. WTF
Old 05-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
what size and how many?
could be repurposed with someone with the know how?
auxiliary fuel tank for a generator or APU and so on?
in the farming construction industry and an auxiliary fuel cell and so on?
repurposing is still kind of recycling.
About 9 feet and 2 of them. I got 3 from auction and only needed one. They were diesel fuel tanks off scrap buses.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

empty diesel tanks with a hole in that has been open for months?
thats not a size i need?
sorry.
diesel fuel require's alot more than a spark to ignite if any fuel at all left in the tanks.
you will need the tools to cut the fuel tanks in your bus construction so might as well buy and learn how to use them on your old fuel tanks instead of a learning muck up on your bus.
diesel is flammable but not compared to others of its kind or gasoline?
if your tanks are not opened then open them and drain whatever residue and let them sit in the drain position for a few days and then cut away.
marc was talking exhaust purge method and it is a thing but normally on gas tanks but not really needed with diesel tanks especially if dry.
keep a fire extinquisher handy if you get scared from a flare up from fuel impregnated in the metal of the tank.
everything i just listed and sometimes full strength vinegar in the tanks especially gas before i cut them up with a torch?
could just tell you i hold the torch over the hole and let it flash but that wouldnt be promoting safety.
for that length of tank i would find a welder that has a full setup on a trailer that is tired of refeuling twice a week?
i added a fuel cell to my work truck just to keep up with the welder and excavator in the same trip?
they can be repurposed just gotta promote them in the correct area and not specifically yours
Old 05-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Site not letting me post my Photobucket pics, been posting them all week. WTF
Marc,
I thought I was the only one with pic problems. I would use my google photos link to try to post the pics in between the [IMG] (link goes here)[/IMG] tag and though I could see the text in the pre post edit nothing would show up. I finally gave up and added the links without the [IMG] The links are visible and can be followed to the pic. Certainly not elegant but at least I can share the pictures.

If you figure out a better solution I'm on the list of those anxious for an update.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
thats not a size i need?
sorry.
diesel fuel require's alot more than a spark to ignite if any fuel at all left in the tanks.
you will need the tools to cut the fuel tanks in your bus construction so might as well buy and learn how to use them on your old fuel tanks instead of a learning muck up on your bus.
if your tanks are not opened then open them and drain whatever residue and let them sit in the drain position for a few days and then cut away.
marc was talking exhaust purge method and it is a thing but normally on gas tanks but not really needed with diesel tanks especially if dry.
keep a fire extinquisher handy if you get scared from a flare up from fuel impregnated in the metal of the tank.
everything i just listed and sometimes full strength vinegar in the tanks especially gas before i cut them up with a torch?
could just tell you i hold the torch over the hole and let it flash but that wouldnt be promoting safety.
for that length of tank i would find a welder that has a full setup on a trailer that is tired of refeuling twice a week?
i added a fuel cell to my work truck just to keep up with the welder and excavator in the same trip?
they can be repurposed just gotta promote them in the correct area and not specifically yours
When I was a young Marine at El Toro MCAS I saw the guys from airframes flushing a couple of wing tanks with water. Jet fuel is essentially diesel with antigel and antifungal components. I asked them why they were doing it. They said a couple of hours of water flush makes them safe to weld. Welding is a lot more heat than cutting.
Just a suggestion: If you want to cut a fuel tank and are afraid of fire or explosion, fill the tank with water and go after it with a 30 dollar Harbor freight grinder with a cut off wheel. No chance of fire or explosion. So what if the water spills out?
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:52 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
Marc,
I thought I was the only one with pic problems. I would use my google photos link to try to post the pics in between the [IMG] (link goes here)[/IMG] tag and though I could see the text in the pre post edit nothing would show up. I finally gave up and added the links without the [IMG] The links are visible and can be followed to the pic. Certainly not elegant but at least I can share the pictures.

If you figure out a better solution I'm on the list of those anxious for an update.
I don't understand why it just started. I've been posting pics all along. I tried to post them the same way as always and all of a sudden it won't take them.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
i welded lots of diesel and gas tanks. dont be fooled thinking diesel is safe as it hard to ignite the liquid is but the vapor is just as bad as gas. just fill it with water and dish soap or as suggested above run some co2 or exhaust in it then cut away. if the tanks are good try to sell them
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
Almost There

Would anyone even want a 9 foot Diesel tank? Where would I even put it up for sale?
Old 05-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Plug them and use them for air storage.
When I was searching ways to prevent explosions people were coming up with all kinds of non useful methods. Fill it with sand or water, really, a 500 gallon tank, what happens when you cut into it, what do you do with 500 gallons of sand. Where does the water go when you cut into it?
Old 05-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
When I was a young Marine at El Toro MCAS I saw the guys from airframes flushing a couple of wing tanks with water. Jet fuel is essentially diesel with antigel and antifungal components. I asked them why they were doing it. They said a couple of hours of water flush makes them safe to weld. Welding is a lot more heat than cutting.
Just a suggestion: If you want to cut a fuel tank and are afraid of fire or explosion, fill the tank with water and go after it with a 30 dollar Harbor freight grinder with a cut off wheel. No chance of fire or explosion. So what if the water spills out?
OOHRAH!
never been to El Toro but i have been to dang near all of the rest of them.
03?? almost everything by trade.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
List them on craigslist on fakebook. Somebody may want one. If you were in my area I would want one.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Someone bought the diesel tank from my generator trailer, $50 i think, but it was half full of diesel, so maybe they just bought the 10 gallons of diesel.

One mans junk is another man treasure.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: WARD / AMTRAN
Chassis: INTERNATIONAL
Engine: DIESEL
Rated Cap: 74
Where are they?
TXDRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Aero- something....
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
sent the OP a PM
Blu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
How thick is the metal on a typical diesel fuel tank?
Old 05-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
thats not a size i need?
sorry.
Be careful cutting any container open with any thing that creates sparks. That includes grinder, torches, plasma. Diesel tanks can explode while cutting. The white smoke you see is as explosive as gasoline. I have seen and heard what happens if the white smoke from diesel is allowed to build up and then is ignited. No one got hurt, but that was more good luck than good management.
An old metal recycling fellow around here used to buy old heating oil tanks and cut them in half for cattle feeders. His plan was use a cutting torch and once you start do not stop. If he lost the cut or had to stop the tank sat untouched for a period of time before getting back to cutting to give time for the diesel fumes to dissipate..
Terry jaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #19
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDRP View Post
Where are they?
Near Poughkeepsie, NY. I only need one and I got three, and I've already wasted money on trying to figure out what do with the other two.

If anyone wants one, please send me a PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Sell them. Take pictures and measurements and list them on FB or craigslist. I just gave 800 for a pair of used tanks.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote