Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Gillig phantom lopsided

I’m working on my Gillig phantom bus conversion and I haven’t turned it on for a long time and her just got new batteries and when I powered it on and I found that there was an air leak in the cabin coming from one of the PSI safety valves I tighten that up and I can still hear a small leak but the new part is coming.
The issue I’m having is that the Bus air bags have inflated on the back two tires on the front right tire but not under the drivers side and the bus is lopsided I crawled under there and checked and the airbags are definitely deployed on the other wheels and the airbag on the front left wheel is firm and not flabby but it is not lifting up and I’m wondering what that could be.
Attached Thumbnails
B28AE285-0FCE-4080-9B54-EDAB2DDA569D.jpg   9BF55A5F-4A7D-4112-AB5A-9B352D53BF04.jpg   F8929D88-FFAD-4F1F-964A-EABB3FDAE187.jpg  

jamesd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
There are two likely scenarios there. The first one is that the airbag is leaking. I just replaced some airbags in the rear of one of our Phantoms last week. It's pretty obvious if that's the case though, because you would have said you heard the air leaking. So I'm leaning towards possibility number two.

It's possible that the leveling valve for that side is either broken or out of adjustment. The leveling valve will look like a valve with an arm on it, to which air hoses are connected. That valve will be mounted on the underside of the floor, at least I think so for the front. From that leveling valve is a rod about 3/16 of an inch in diameter that drops down to the axle. Since you say the airbag is partially inflated but not raising up the bus, my guess is that the leveling valve or the drop rod is not sending sufficient air to the airbag. You could try disconnecting the rod and then manipulating the lever either up or down to see if that changes the height on that side. If you push the lever arm on the valve up it should add air to the airbag and raise that side.

We have two Phantoms and I'm pretty familiar with them. Those are the two most likely scenarios. If it's something else, it's going to be more obscure.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I was thinking along those lines so I climbed under there and moved the lever arm up but nothing happened when I dropped it down there was air being released from the right hand side but because I didn’t have any jacks I didn’t bring it all the way down because I didn’t want to be crushed
Old 05-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I wonder if that would explain why the right hand side suspension seems to be so high. Possibly instead of the air being distributed evenly the right hand suspension is getting all the air for both suspension
Any idea where I could order the part from?