Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53
Re: GMC 6.2 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseythenose
Oh...BTW the turbo only works on half the engine?? Huh????
No, it works on the whole engine. The turbo is mounted on the right exhaust manifold (whether new or old body Banks kit--I've had both--or GM 6.5) but there is a cross-over pipe that connects the manifolds. On the '88-'93 6.2 kit the crossover is under the back of the engine and the turbo is mounted in the middle of the manifold. In the early up to '87 kit (up to '91 on the crewcab, Blazer/Jimmy, Suburban) the crossover goes forward from the left manifold and across under the front of the engine--with the turbo on the front of the right exhaust manifold. The GM 6.5 turbo is similar the the late Banks kit in layout. The Banks kit is better, though.

One thing you'll notice when you have a non-turbo diesel is amazing throttle response off idle. Since it's not a stoichemetric engine, there is extra oxygen sitting in the chamber waiting for fuel at idle. A tap of the pedal and it throws you back because the fuel is instantly consumed. Adding a turbo softens that feeling. The Banks kit has no wastegate. The wastegated 6.5 is sized to make boost early and then blow off the extra pressure. The Banks turbo is sized to make boost in the 2,000+ rpm area. Instead of a waste gate, they use a big plenum on the intake manifold to store air. A Banks 6.2 is going to make 20hp more than a GM 6.5 turbo--much more when you violate the 1/4-turn screw rule and just remove the screw. GM bends pipe over a 2x4 and designs things off of their third graders art projects. A GM 6.5 turbo is set at 7psi. My Banks truck sees 12psi. It smokes a little when you have the hammer down, but never under normal driving. The Banks exhaust that came with the kit looks new after 10 years and the sound is a thick, throaty, American V8 roar under power.

At idle, a 6.2 sounds like 50 tuna cans in a clothes dryer. My kids go to a private school and when I drop them off in that truck, the mothers in their thigh-high fur-lined boots scamper away looking nervously back like it's going to throw something at them.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

What an excellent write-up on the 6.2 and the 6.5. I will use this as a reference.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

BTW
I knew it worked on the whole engine.
I just wanted to hear his explanation.
caseythenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #24
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas