Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #1

Coachwork: Bluebird
Hazard lights won't go off

I have a Bluebird that a friend converted a few years ago. I've had it for a year now, but I know very little about it, only driving it short distances once a month or so. Recently, I let it sit for three months in a field after having someone quarantine on it, and I just went to bring it home. Here's how this went:

1. I flipped the switch that gives power to the bus so that it can start. Normally, I leave the headlights on so that I can know at a glance whether I remembered to turn the power off to the bus. So the headlights switched on, and at the same time, the hazard lights started blinking.

2. I went into the bus and turned the key in the ignition so that the air compressor could start pressurizing.

3. Instead of a steady beep--beep--beep that it usually does when the "low air" light is on, it gave a kind of... unsteady beep, like it was trying to beep two different ways at the same time but it only had a single monotone beep to work with.

4. I am searching for the hazard lights because, uh, I've never actually used them before. It seems like the bus took a little longer for the air to pressurize than usual, but maybe I was just being distracted.

5. Once the air pressurized, all beeping stops. The hazard lights continue clicking on and off.

6. I find the hazard light button on the panel to my left, or at least, a small round button with the traditional triangle hazard symbol on it. I press it. Nothing happens. I wait a few seconds. I press it again. I repeat this about seven times. The hazard lights continue to flash.

7. I say "**** it" and drive the bus half a mile back to my house. It seems to behave normally.

8. I park it, switch the power off, and drain the air compressor.

MY THEORIES:

A. A fieldmouse chewed through a wire. There's nothing else wrong with the bus. Somewhere we must find this wire.

B. The hazard lights are set to flash when there's something wrong with the bus? Something is wrong?

What do you think? I don't know whether I should take it to a mechanic, an electrician, or someone who knows how to handle pneumatic systems, or if it's something I should be able to fix on my own.

tuylin is offline   Reply With Quote