Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 02:28 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
HD Extended Life Coolant

After going nuts with coolant research, I have come to the conclusion that this stuff FAQ - Final Charge | PEAKhd.com is the best stuff to get, in particular for my 1997 DT466 engine.

It is an OAT type heavy duty ELC without nitrite and (most importantly) compatible with silicon seals. It also meets the Cat EC-1 guidelines.

The key which makes it 'the best' is that it is rather foolproof with not requiring any additives or test strips, supposedly providing superior protection to the green stuff with SCA, being easier on the water pump and cooling components, and lasting 6 years.

There are other brands I ran into with similar specs, all good, but the Peak stuff had more straightforward information on what was going on. I also ran into many which were decidedly NOT compatible with silicon seals due to use of the cheaper ethyl-hexanoic acid.

I have also learned that Zerex G05 is not probably not a good idea for this engine, despite what I had initially thought.

This said, the 'basic green stuff' with proper SCA additive and upkeep will run fine too. The engines were designed for it, after all. This is basically a 'what is best for me' choice.

Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
That's what we use on any diesel that has an egr cooler. It's one of the few that are silicate free which is why I chose it. Silicates have been known to fall out of suspension and subsequently plug up egr coolers. Ford/Navistar had a hard time with that in their 6.0 and especially the 6.4 engines.

It's good for 8 years/1,000,000 miles. It's not cheap by any means but I will agree that it is probably the best stuff on the market for diesel engines.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:19 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
After going nuts with coolant research, I have come to the conclusion that this stuff FAQ - Final Charge | PEAKhd.com is the best stuff to get, in particular for my 1997 DT466 engine.

It is an OAT type heavy duty ELC without nitrite and (most importantly) compatible with silicon seals. It also meets the Cat EC-1 guidelines.

The key which makes it 'the best' is that it is rather foolproof with not requiring any additives or test strips, supposedly providing superior protection to the green stuff with SCA, being easier on the water pump and cooling components, and lasting 6 years.

There are other brands I ran into with similar specs, all good, but the Peak stuff had more straightforward information on what was going on. I also ran into many which were decidedly NOT compatible with silicon seals due to use of the cheaper ethyl-hexanoic acid.

I have also learned that Zerex G05 is not probably not a good idea for this engine, despite what I had initially thought.

This said, the 'basic green stuff' with proper SCA additive and upkeep will run fine too. The engines were designed for it, after all. This is basically a 'what is best for me' choice.

I’ve been going INSANE! With researching coolants! Mechanics tell me to just out the green stuff, today I bought
The Zerex 50/50 green low silicate, because I can’t get out of the research, I keep seeing peak fleetcharge is where it’s at for my 1990 DT466 international.. but Im nervous as heck to do the flush and refill it with something not of its original color!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on coolants! Napa recommends I use that zerex g05 yellow stuff and you just saved me with this one lol
BusDreamerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:38 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in my 1990 im running the green stuff with a coolant filter that has the additive in it and then I use WixCool and the Wix test strips to make sure its maintained...

the AMSoil rep told me that their HD 'polyorganic' coolant is an extended life that I can run in any engine old or new.. its been in my red bus (99.5) for about 5 years now without issue.. you dont need to put any additive in it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:33 AM   #5

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: 3800 RE
Engine: DT530E - MD3060 275hp/800 ft-lbs
Rated Cap: A metric BusTon
So how does the Red Napa heavy duty fleet coolant stuff rank? I have that in my 1986 Dt466/MT643 bus, but a crystal ball tells me that since its looking more likely than not that i will be doing an inframe on my 1999 DT530/MT643 RE bus after getting hoodwinked by Conley Transportation out of Condon MT. and left holding the bag cause dudes a shitbrick.... i'm curious lol.

Here is a great chart on the Fleetguard line of coolants that tells all on each kind they offer. https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si.../LT36237NA.pdf

here is more in depth: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/af...LT32599_09.pdf

I'll detail this bs above and more on my introduction post.

Cadillack Kid : i think we have talked before but seen your name on other forums before
Scoutcartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
This is a relatively old post that has made its way back to the forefront on the site.
There are those that have their preferences on engine lubes and fluids, and this is not being resurrected to open up the debate on who is best, etc. What you've used in the past, and the reasons you use them today are all good.

Having said that, its hard, if not impossible to find, another product that goes into any engine be it gas, diesel, LPG, etc., than what is offered by Amsoil.

Reason being they have decades of laboratory analysis and development in all of their products, (not only engine oil), that purposely go above and beyond the quality level in what other synthetic lubricant manufacturers put out there.

Note: I do not work for or get paid by Amsoil for my submission above...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, coolant, dt466, elc, sca