Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
help i ran out of fuel

ran out of fuel and refueled, was about to get bus againhowever it dies a few down the road. i have a 2001gmc with cat3126. a friend of mine experience not long ago , so we changed the fuel filter, it turned up and but died again after 10-15 secs called diesel and followed their instructions on how to remove air to no avail im stuck in perth amboy nj first exit off rt9n bridge
HELP !!!!!!!

lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Find the prime pump and keep pressing it until it gets hard to push.. Can take a long time...
Old 12-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
When bringing my 3126 back to life, I was told by the Freightliner tech that it could take me an hour to pull the full through by pumping, turning the engine over, repeat,repeat, repeat... He made me sad...

Fortunately I have a lot of "other stuff" mechanical experience under me belt...

Take the primary fuel filter off -- either plug the center hole of the filter with the correct hydraulic fitting (so you ensure NO contaminants get into the filter on the engine side)
OR fill the filter from a pure source like buy a gallon of lamp oil.

Fill the fuel filter up -- reinstall the filter. I did this and my engine that'd been sitting for 3 years started in 2 seconds! The running engine then primed the rest of system.

Make sure there's no water in the secondary filter.

Make sure your batterys are charged enough to spin the motor over fast enough to start.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when I replaced the trans in my DT360. i had to take fuel lines loose and so i replaced all the filters too.. instead of spendiong hours priming.. I took the line off that came from the tank and connected a small hand pump into the ionlet of the first filter. and I pumped fresh diesel from a jug.. I loosened the line (but didnt remove) going into my injection pump.. hand pumped until it was pure fuel at that loosened line.. tightened it up.. pumped the primer. pumped the hand pump a couple times more.. put the lines back together and started the bus.. no issues..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Remove and fill all fuel filters (should be 2 of them) with fresh fuel or replace with new and pre-fill. Turn pump primer counter clockwise to loosen and then pump it until it gets hard to pump. Re-tighten primer and start engine.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
Almost There

thx for your reply, where is the second filter and the primer pump

may had not ran out of fuel after this is what took place
help my bus with 3126 engine wont start. i thought i ran out of diesel but it had 5plus gal, it had fuel in it when i put 5gal in anyway, on the way to fuel station it died out. it felt as i ran out of fuel added 10gal more and changed FF and removed air, had to use starter fluid to start, it ran for about 2mi and died again, the individual helping added oil stabilizer since he thought it was low on oil and engine started again with starter fluid and ran for 45 to 50 mins smoothly drove off and engine died again few yards down the road a few mechanivs looked at it and had different diagnostic. theres no check engine light, added diesel 911 what do i do? i want to understand whats wrong b4 towing to a shop
Old 12-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Almost There

i previous had to replace my tranny too and havent driven it until months. during the drive to the new location next (appromiately 8 mi)it felt as if was losing power the mechanic attributed it to the bus sitting so long. i been starting the bus quite frequent to recharge my batteries since i use the inverter but havent driven it beside in the lot a few times.
upon departing from the lot to full up the tank this happened

i thought i ran out of diesel but it had 5plus gal, it had fuel in it when i put the 5gal, anyway, on the way to fuel station it died. it felt as i ran out of fuel added 10gal more and changed FF and removed air, had to use starter fluid to start, it ran for about 2mi and died again, the individual helping added oil stabilizer since he thought it was low on oil and engine started again with starter fluid and ran for 45 to 50 mins smoothly, however when i drove off and engine died again a few yards down the road a few mechanics looked at it and had different diagnostic.
theres no check engine light, added diesel 911 what do i do? i want to understand whats wrong b4 towing to a shop.

i cant find the second filter or a priming pump
Old 12-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
Almost There

is the priming pump the red knob on FF housing?
Old 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Find the prime pump and keep pressing it until it gets hard to push.. Can take a long time...
where is this pump?.
is this what you referring to?
Old 12-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #10
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
When bringing my 3126 back to life, I was told by the Freightliner tech that it could take me an hour to pull the full through by pumping, turning the engine over, repeat,repeat, repeat... He made me sad...

Fortunately I have a lot of "other stuff" mechanical experience under me belt...

Take the primary fuel filter off -- either plug the center hole of the filter with the correct hydraulic fitting (so you ensure NO contaminants get into the filter on the engine side)

Fill the fuel filter up -- reinstall the filter. I did this and my engine that'd been sitting for 3 years started in 2 seconds! The running engine then primed the rest of system.

Make sure your batterys are charged enough to spin the motor over fast enough to start.
where is the secondary filter?????
Old 12-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmeskoolu View Post
where is this pump?.
is this what you referring to?
Old 12-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post

my batteries are new, what lamp oil can i get that at home depot or walmart. i cant find the secondary filter or priming pump. i been sitting and sleeping in my car need bus as im afraid its going to get towed. i dnt what to spend my holiday here. pls help
call i list my pbone for a call?
Old 12-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
my batteries are new, what lamp oil can i get that at home depot or walmart. i cant find the secondary filter or priming pump. i been sitting and sleeping in my car need bus as im afraid its going to get towed. i dnt what to spend my holiday here. pls help
call i list my pbone for a call?
Can't speak to where the secondary filter is on your bus since it's a different maker than mine. But follow the fuel line from the primary line and it will take you to the injectors in one direction and to the secondary filter in the other.
Pic below is of the primary filter and pump on my 3126 --The yellow can to the left is the primary filter with what looks like a bicycle pump on top of it.
The secondary filter is the white can on my firewall to the right in the pic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1435.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	40118

This is the water separator bowl -- I removed mine cause my bus had been sitting for several years -- this screws onto the white can in the previous pic. It has a drain plug in the bottom of it to let water out -- but don't just empty the whole thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	40119
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
Almost There

thx for ur reply
i definitely dont have a priming pump or secondary filter
it's definitely CAT3126. the other thing is that my ff screws in opening down so i cant prefill it or can I?
as soon as i get my new phone im take a video and post hopedully i can post it as i tried to post a link to a shared image but it doesnt appear in the post
Old 12-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #15
Almost There

3126 engine won't start

Just wanted to say thank you to all that offered ihelp and wish you all you wish for in the new year!! The trouble was actually a blockage in the fuel line! My regular car mechanic cleared with air hose (compressor)the fitting under FF housing - fuel line to the block and the mesh that's encased in it (unscrewed mesh fitting with Allen key and hit the air filter a few times with starter fluid and it started it's safely parked at the local Walmart! He's putting in an inlet filter, mine engine didn't have the secondary filter or priming pump. I will NEVER ever let my tank get lower than 1/4!!
Old 12-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Just wanted to say thank you to all that offered ihelp and wish you all you wish for in the new year!! The trouble was actually a blockage in the fuel line! My regular car mechanic cleared with air hose (compressor)the fitting under FF housing - fuel line to the block and the mesh that's encased in it (unscrewed mesh fitting with Allen key and hit the air filter a few times with starter fluid and it started it's safely parked at the local Walmart! He's putting in an inlet filter, mine engine didn't have the secondary filter or priming pump. I will NEVER ever let my tank get lower than 1/4!!
Every vehicle I have ever purchased, the first thing I would do was put a couple gallons in the trunk and run the tank dry. This way I could tell how much fuel I had when it read empty and how many miles I can go till it runs dry. I was warned about not doing this in the bus as the fuel lines and filters are so finicky with old sediment. So I have no idea on my tank how accurate it is.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
Almost There

Old 12-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The bright yellow filter that says cat in the pic- it has a housing and the pump is the round hand thing coming out of the top of the housing right on top of the fuel filter.

Glad you got it running for xmas!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Next time you change your fuel filters fill them with ATF (auto trans fluid) it cleans and lubes up the injectors.
Glad you got her rolling.
First time I ran a diesel out of fuel I got mad and just kept cranking on it with the go pedal to the floor and I was so mad I wasn't going to stop until I killed the starter (you sure could smell it getting hot) or batteries. There was no fuel primer on that truck, it was a Isuzu FSR. I abused that cab over so hard and it took every bit of it.
If I would have just filled up the fuel filter it wouldn't have been such a problem.
Happy upcoming new year yall!
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #20
Almost There

I don't understand why my pics still not showing up I used imgur