Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Hows the project?
I think chance of seeing this poster again it's about equal to the chance of getting a generator from that Korean liquidator for a hundred bucks.

JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:37 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I sure could use $100 right now.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #43
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
I think chance of seeing this poster again it's about equal to the chance of getting a generator from that Korean liquidator for a hundred bucks.
So, I read that you said this is a dead thread, Fred... ;)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:26 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1776
Coachwork: Merican Made
Engine: George Washington
Rated Cap: Not Enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
DaHogwartsExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:28 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
a different chassis vehicle is definiterly an option... Bus bodies are assembled completely before they are married to the chassis... so in effect they are simply setting on the frame and attached with body clips.. so removing a bus body and setting on another frame is definitely viable..

I think the first stage is determining how you want tio power it.. ie like you mention, electric? diesel? gas? and do you want it highway capable in terms of speed and torque? towing a boat? just a cool bus to take to Car shows and cruise your friends in? (thats what all 3 of my busses are for)..

as far as whats possible and whats not.. i know for sure the Bluebird pictured above was built.. someone on one of my classic bus forums has seen it.. its powered by an SV392 from what I understand..

the first one was a movie prop bus but was fully operational.. you can read about it.. its a Bus from the sequel to the movie Dumb and Dumber.. it had a beefed up engine / suspension and such so it could be used in stunts.. I have no idea its whereabouts now.. or if they destroyed it in the movie...

those 2 should tell all the nay sayers here that what the OP wants can be done..

-Christopher

The Canadian Campground inquiry ended up going nowhere.

I was thinking diesel (I'd like an 8.3L Cummins), but open to gas if need be. Budget wise (including bus acquisition), I'm willing to go up $20K, possibly $25K if that means I get everything I want.

I'm set on only having two windows and want the bus that short. So it appears the drive-train will be the biggest issue.

In regards to goals (in order of importance):

1.) Everyday driver. I want to use this as my everyday driver, not just an occasional joyride or yard ornament. So it'd need to be engineered accordingly.

2.) Performance. I want to REALLY get up and go in this thing. I'd imagine that would kind of take care of itself if I got something like a full size bus with 8.3L Cummins and shortened it down to the aforementioned size.

3.) Fuel Mileage. Not most important thing, but would be nice to get some decent mileage as my everyday driver.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:44 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if I were going to build similar.. I would go with a slightly longer wheel base.. start out with a 6 window full chassis chorty.. they are everywhere. .. use a CVE not a flat-nose.. your drivetrain will be easier..

use a V8 diesel vs an I-6 as your engine site far forward.. a T-444E is a good choice.. and yes they Can be tuned contrary to what most of the world will tell you..

choose an allison 1000/2000 series transmission as the overall trans length is 4 inches shorter than an MT643. the AT545 isnt rugged enough for a tuned up engine to dont use one of those..

yes to hydraulic brakes and yes to air-ride suspension. if your bus has a factory air system on it with hydrauic brakes (they exist one of mione is this).. you can install a MUCH smaller tank to run just the suspension..

full size tires for ground clearance.. so 11R22.5" rims / tires are your friend in this.. will help with breakover and departue.. I would leave an extra window behind the axle..

your fuel tank can locate behind the axle.. a properly size tank can tuck up between the frame rails and be protected by skid plates on the botom.. the exhaust can run outside the frame rail..

you cant run drive-shaft-less.. as you likely know the engine moves with the frame and the axle moves with the springs. . you need at least a short driveshft.. because the pinion angle will be steep, i'd likely suggest a CV-style shaft as opposed to a U-joint type driveshaft.

un-rivet the rear cap from the bus, save it and remove body sections and frame from the rear.. transfer the holes to re-drill for the axle and suspension.. there may already be holes for moving the axle depending on what wheel base you are going for.

this is a bad-ass project.. cant wait to watch it unfold.. My kinda build!!
-Christopher
Followed your advice.

I found a 2000 72 Seat Thomas T444e in great shape. It's down south and free of rust. It does have an AT545, but I plan to switch out with an Allison 2000 per your recommendation. Found very thorough thread on the topic that will be of much help (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/t...ons-29535.html).

If your offer still stands from the above thread on providing guidance over email for the electronic component of transmission swap, I'd like to take you up on it when the time comes. Happy to pay you for your time.

I have a local shop that is on board to do the build for me.