Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Help . No start no sound from fuel pump or abs

I was occasionally starting the bus this a battery starter . Last time was about 3 weeks or so ago...
Now I go to start I hear no beeps from gauge cluster no clicking from under fog house and I think I can crank all day and nothing would happen . Though I don’t want to try ...
I pushed down on primer and don’t think it’s a fuel issue as primer is pretty stiff.
I read somewhere that someone had got term advice to kick the wires to the right of the driver under the dash so I tried that and would get a slight or faint beep when moving around the wires down there . Haven’t narrowed down which wires it could be ...
I know I should here abs self test but I usually also here guages buzzing and making noise and what I think it some kind of fuel pump related sound coming from under doghouse ....

Lately I’ve been working on storage bays underneath and just put some pex tubing in my floor and 3/4 marine grade on top ...
I’m trying to start the bus to get a fill or the ground clearance I’ll have when air ride is full
Attached Thumbnails
995E5A8F-239E-4EC9-8B61-A8950B29BF4E.jpg   65A1E119-C738-4EB1-AFBC-D6D010E4C313.jpg  

BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Can you tell us more about your bus? Body model, etc?

If you wiggle wires underneath the dash, and hear the dash cluster beep faintly, then, yes, the fault is in the wiring there.

It is (usually) hard to find real wiring diagrams or schematics for schoolbusses, it really boils down to understanding how a vehicle is typically wired, and then tearing the dash apart and tracing wires and testing each one manually.

But if we know EXACTLY what bus you have, maybe someone here has already done that and can help you more.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Bus Nut

International Dt466e 2002 -2003
Old 01-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Does the dash cluster usually beep on your bus as well . And is that what’s doing the beeping .. I know the abs does self check? What about the noise from down under.....

In the engine
Old 01-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

We need to know the BUS model. You are telling us the motor, but we likely need that also.

Mine does not beep. Many have "ignition locks" that will prevent you from starting (or at least warn you) the bus if a door is open or something. But that won't prevent the dash from lighting up when you turn the key to "on".

Yep, I get "noise from down under" and so should you. Again, the wiring is likely your issue.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Maybe send us a pic of the dash. That will help identify what you got specifically.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Just to clarify the dash does light up but it is now silent . I use to hear a series of beeping and small buzzer like sounds ... or clinking not an actual buzzer ... the previous owner bypassed or unhooked the buzzer since then and it’s has been fine for the two years I’ve had it ...
back doors and front doors have been long gone for awhile or modified so I don’t think the vandalock system would be in the way of the starting ... I moved my gear shifter around already two and I’m in neatrual
Old 01-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

International model 300
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Is the beeping you normally hear (but aren't hearing now) the low air pressure warning beeper?
Old 01-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

I would check the wires to the ignition switch first. Then the ignition switch itself. Wiggling the wires may jostle the switch enough that, now that it is bad, it will be intermittent when the wires wiggle. Or maybe corrosion on wire connectors. Or maybe the connector at the back of the switch is coming loose - simple as that.

I have a BlueBird, so hopefully someone with a similar bus will come along and guide you more than I can.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:36 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

I should have asked you this in the first place:

does your "check engine" light come on with the dash lights?
Old 01-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Is the beeping you normally hear (but aren't hearing now) the low air pressure warning beeper?
Possibly but I think that since I can’t start it and usually it would have the sequence of beeps before start up and a little after possibly until air pressure is above 90 or so
Old 01-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I should have asked you this in the first place:

does your "check engine" light come on with the dash lights?
The only lights that stay on while (wait to start ) is water light
Old 01-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
The only lights that stay on while (wait to start ) is water light
But does the "check engine" light come on at all, even for a moment?
Old 01-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
But does the "check engine" light come on at all, even for a moment?
Yes as soon as key is turned it does come in maybe for a second or something with a whole of list of warning lights then stay off and water in fuel light will still hang . And usually I hear a series of click and fictions while waiting
Old 01-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
Yes as soon as key is turned it does come in maybe for a second or something with a whole of list of warning lights then stay off and water in fuel light will still hang . And usually I hear a series of click and fictions while waiting
You say the motor WILL spin when you try to start it, but won't start?

Then the ignition switch is OK. The computer is getting power.

I can't say exactly about the "water in fuel" light, but that seems to be ONE of the problems. If you do have water in your fuel, it won't want to start.

However, you also seem to have an electrical issue, which taken as a whole may be a bad fuse or relay supplying power to those "engine accessories" things (the clicking things and the beeping things).

Again, without a wiring diagram in my hand and more info about your specific bus, I can't help you more. Hell, I'm still trying to understand how MY bus is completely wired under the dash. Hopefully someone who has more specific knowledge than me will come along and fill in the gaps.

One last guess: make sure your battery is fully charged.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
You say the motor WILL spin when you try to start it, but won't start?

Then the ignition switch is OK. The computer is getting power.

I can't say exactly about the "water in fuel" light, but that seems to be ONE of the problems. If you do have water in your fuel, it won't want to start.

However, you also seem to have an electrical issue, which taken as a whole may be a bad fuse or relay supplying power to those "engine accessories" things (the clicking things and the beeping things).

Again, without a wiring diagram in my hand and more info about your specific bus, I can't help you more. Hell, I'm still trying to understand how MY bus is completely wired under the dash. Hopefully someone who has more specific knowledge than me will come along and fill in the gaps.

One last guess: make sure your battery is fully charged.

So I ended up
Up messing with all the wires down my the drivers left foot area ... I checked all connections and wiggles cords around to see if at any point there was a short or bare wire or loose connections . So while doing that I would frequently try to turn over the key to start and try to here beeping . Well I missed what wire was eventually suspect but I got the bus to start after doing all that so I think it’s fair to say I have some eletrical issues that need to be dealt with