Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #1

Help? Should I buy this bus?

Hi all I'm looking at buying a Ford E450 short bus from someone a few hours away from me for 2k. It has 112k miles and does not currently run. They're saying all it needs to run is a new starter and battery lines. I'm wondering if anyone knows around how much this might cost. I reached out to a bus mechanic local to the area the bus is located and they told me without more info they can't give me an estimate beyond mobile labor costs $145/hour plus whatever parts cost. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220116-141131_Facebook.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	63400Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220116-141135_Facebook.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	63401

allensiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Allensiena,

First, I'm always suspicious of vehicles being sold which "just need..." because if it was that easy, why didn't the seller make the repairs and sell a running vehicle...which would be easier to sell.

But, assuming the information is accurate, a starter is usually less than $200...maybe just $100...depending upon the engine. Cables should be $100 or less. Batteries (that probably has 2) could be had for $100 each, for a basic 1-year NAPA Group 31. Labor? Maybe 4 hours.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hi Allensiena,

First, I'm always suspicious of vehicles being sold which "just need..." because if it was that easy, why didn't the seller make the repairs and sell a running vehicle...which would be easier to sell.

But, assuming the information is accurate, a starter is usually less than $200...maybe just $100...depending upon the engine. Cables should be $100 or less. Batteries (that probably has 2) could be had for $100 each, for a basic 1-year NAPA Group 31. Labor? Maybe 4 hours.
Ross, thanks for the info! I'm definitely wary also due to the same reasons. The inside is partially converted. They originally had it listed for $5200 and realized that it needs work and lowered to 2k. I think she just doesn't want to deal with it anymore. I know she is renting space to store it so that may also be why she's selling so cheap.
allensiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
I would hope that this is a 7.3 powerstroke. I have seen instances where folks thought the starter was bad-- and it turned out to be a locked up engine. Need to be very careful-- how does the oil look? Is it full of coolant, etc. Why did the starter motor fail? Did they wind on it trying to start it until it burnt the starter motor up? This is not saying that the owner is trying to hide anything-- they simply may not know. I have bought stuff where the owner thought everything was OK-- but it was not. That was my fault-- not theirs. May father used to say" forgive them for they know not what they do...."...
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:25 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Engine is critically important.
If it is the 6.0, run away and don't look back.
The 7.3 is a better engine, but you're basically buying a "pig in a poke" in that it doesn't run.

You might get lucky and it is only what the seller says, but on the other hand it could be far worse.

My unsolicited $0.02: If it was me, I'd keep looking...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote