Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
Yes Bryce, replace both the fuel filter and the fuel/water separator with new units.
Make certain that all of the old gaskets are removed along with the old filters.
Fill both units with fresh, CLEAN diesel by introducing it into the small holes around the perimeter of each filter- DO NOT FILL IT DOWN THE CENTER HOLE.
Wipe some clean fuel into the threads, and onto the rubber gasket of each new filter.
Carefully screw both COMPLETELY FULL filters in HAND TIGHT.
If the weather is cool, plug-in the electric block heater (if so equipped) for an hour or two.

With fully charged batteries, attempt to start the engine. Don't be afraid to crank it for 15 or 20 seconds or more at a time, but don't overheat the starter.

You can tell if you are overheating the starter by putting your hand on the starter motor. Expect it to be warm, but if you cannot hold your hand on it indefinitely, its too hot.

If it starts, but runs rough, let it run rough until it smooths out- it's likely air in the fuel lines.
If it only bucks and coughs a few times and them just cranks without coughing, stop. Re-fill BOTH of the fuel filters with clean diesel and try again.
Once it runs on its own, tighten BOTH the filters and additional quarter to half turn.
Simple, eh?
Just kidding, I know how frustrating it can be...

Rich

Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: CAT 3126E
Do the gaskets typically come with new filters, or a separate purchase?

And where do you all prefer to purchase items? I know the filters currently on my bus are sold at Walmart. There's a NAPA where I got my batteries from. But are their any more specialized stores people prefer, or even a decent online site that caters more toward diesel, specifically Buses?
TheBryceIsRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:06 AM   #23
Skoolie

Gaskets are on the new filters.
I buy mine at FleetPride, or NAPA.

Filters are critical components that protect your investment - Why would one cheap-out on filters?
Old 05-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Alright update.

I replaced the filter and separator. I filled them through the holes, not the center. I'm assuming I was supposed to fill until the center was full correct?
And then I did the whole turn key to the on position then back off about four times to cycle the engine. Then tried to start.

Still no success Reached out to a local guy who knows a bit more. Hopefully he'll be able to work with me and figure it out.

His suggestions are attach a blow gun to and air compressor, stick it in the fuel tank, cover the hole with a rag to keep air from coming out and to push the fuel through the lines as a pseudo priming method. But I also clarified that the fuel is old. So he's suggested to get a transfer pump and drain the fuel tank, since the fuel probably had gelled over the winter.

Also that it may be an IAP sensor problem. To unplug the sensor and try starting, but if that still doesn't work, to get a scan tool and see if anything is coming up as a problem. Has anyone tried unplugging a sensor and that fixing the problem?

On the bright side of things, I bought and angle grinder with a brush attachment and have started to buff down the floors. Boy that makes for some shiny rust free metal! Took about four hours to do about a yard from the rear in but hey it's something!
Old 05-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBryceIsRight View Post
Alright update.

I replaced the filter and separator. I filled them through the holes, not the center. I'm assuming I was supposed to fill until the center was full correct?
And then I did the whole turn key to the on position then back off about four times to cycle the engine. Then tried to start.

Unless your rig is equipped with an electric fuel pump, cycling the ignition does nothing.

Still no success Reached out to a local guy who knows a bit more. Hopefully he'll be able to work with me and figure it out.

His suggestions are attach a blow gun to and air compressor, stick it in the fuel tank, cover the hole with a rag to keep air from coming out and to push the fuel through the lines as a pseudo priming method. But I also clarified that the fuel is old. So he's suggested to get a transfer pump and drain the fuel tank, since the fuel probably had gelled over the winter.

Pushing the fuel through is a good idea, as is removing any bad fuel. What did your old filters look like when you pulled them out? Where they full of slime? If they were plugged with crap, you might have a problem. As far as gelling goes, the waxes in diesel fuel will 'melt' as the weather warms. In summer heat, you do not have gelled fuel. Make sure the filters are full, and crank the heck out of it until it starts. 15 to 20 seconds at a whack isn't going to hurt things. If you are worried about it, put your hand on the starter. Warm is fine, hot but you can keep your hand on it indefinitely, thats ok. Cant touch it- you've gone too far...

Also that it may be an IAP sensor problem. To unplug the sensor and try starting, but if that still doesn't work, to get a scan tool and see if anything is coming up as a problem. Has anyone tried unplugging a sensor and that fixing the problem?

On the bright side of things, I bought and angle grinder with a brush attachment and have started to buff down the floors. Boy that makes for some shiny rust free metal! Took about four hours to do about a yard from the rear in but hey it's something!

Any progress is good progress, right?
Old 05-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

In regards to the using an air compressor, I'm assuming I would just stick the blow gun nozzle into where I would fill my tank, correct? And how am I supposed to know I pushed fuel through?

Am I supposed to have someone crank the engine while I do this? Is this even a good idea?
Old 11-23-2022, 11:42 PM   #27

Priming a fuel filter on a thomas bus safe t liner

I need to know where the fuel filter is and what it looks like please
Stevenbuskirk085 is offline   Reply With Quote