Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats a new one to me.. what year was the bus? I didnt know of any that have a 5 position shift lever.. did it also have a single digit display on it too? there was a 3060 T handle type shifter.. but it still has the display

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
They have em rebuilt online for $645. Wonder what amount of labor it takes to swap it

you have a different engine than I do.. alot has to do with whether you can source the perioheral parts.. the 643 uses an SAE2 bell instead of a 3.. if your engine is a 2 with an adapter ring to redice the 2 to 3 (SAE 3 is smaller than SAE 2).. then you'd remove that ring..

the 643 converter offset is much more (it sticks out further) so most likely there is a hub spacer you have to remove (its that way on IHC)..

then the flexplate.. the bolt pattern on the 643 converter is larger so i had to source a different flex plate.. its possible yours has a dual plattern plate.. I know very little about the Ford Diesel engines that arent the 444 or 365..

on the IH engines no secondary mount is required but I dont know on the ford.. if your 545 has the side mount bolts installed, you may need to adapt a bracket to the frame for them on the 643..

other things - I *THINK* (im still working on this) that the LKQ trans have a speedo geasr installed and not a tone ring.. I havent made my speedo work yet.. but havent pulled the sensor to see if I have the proper setup or not..

a speedo gear is used for cable driven.. a tone ring for electric speedos... the one on the 545 can be swapped over im told.. I'll know more as I get into it.

modulator is the sdame, shift bracket may or may not work... I modded mine, was pretty easy... dipstick is the same assuming you have deep pan on your 545.. reverse light switch and neutral safety are the same screw in plug sensors.. they move over..

I am air brakes so i didnt have to make a new park brake bracket but likely wouldve other wise .. ie if you have the drum on the back of your trans..

cooling lines were close but i made new ones just because.. the fitting size is different but easily adaptable with eaton fittings from grainger.. length may or may not work.. on mine they were close and tight so I made new ones..

driveshaft needs a couple incxhes taken out of it..

it really wasnt bad at all.. the 643 does weight twice what the 545 weighs... an engine hoist to move that beast from my pickup truck to the ground and the old trans into my pickup was super handy.. trans jacks and 10,000 lb ratchet straps were my friends getting it up into the bus.. (im just a little dude working by myself)..

always loctite the converter bolts and flywheel bolts and use a torque wrench..

other helpful things were various extensions and u joints for 3/8 and 1/2 drive socket sets.. I didnt have to grind or bend any special wrenches for this one .. air ratchet and impact wrench, Pee bottle, and gloves other things that helped
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote