Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question I could use a little advice on other great engines and trannys

Hi guys. So, I've been struggling to find a 6 window bus with a DT466 engine and MT643 tranny. The reason I love those is because they're all mechanical, and hold up amazingly well. I've researched a lot and have seen a mixture of people saying things like stay away from CAT7, as they're very expensive to maintain, and Cummins engines crack their cylinders and the like.

I've only heard that the DT466 is underpowered, but that's about as much as I've heard that's bad about it. The DT466E screws up because they use an electronic pump, and the MaxxForce is even worse.

As for Ford, I currently own a Ford Expedition, and my family has owned Ford cars for years, but they just fall apart. So, unless I hear otherwise, I have no reason to believe that Ford would make a quality bus that holds up. No idea on Chevy. Never owned one of those.

However, on the flip side, I've seen people swear by the Cummins 8.3, and other mixes. So, I'm looking for backup plans for something more readily available.

I have a sale pending on my trailer, and in a couple days I close on it, then live with a friend of mine until I get my bus, so I'd like to get my bus quickly, but do it right.

What engine/tranny combos have you guys found that withstand the test of time, don't cost a fortune to maintain, and don't usually break down with typical maintenance?

ManWithNoBrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
In my opinion, Ford vs Chevy doesn't really matter here in buses.

I mean, crowns and gilligs are really good, blue bird, Thomas, and international. Looks like in the 90s Ford or GMC may have branded buses, buy don't know much about that.

I do know that there are a bunch of short DT466es/MD3060s that just sold in California and those are pretty good drivetrain. Your combo exists, but your looking for Mid 90s. In my opinion, you'll trade electrical gremlins for very worn frame/bodies and most have been out of school districts a while with unknown maintenance.

My ranking of comparable inline 6 engines to have is

Cummins 8.3, DT466/DT466e, 12v Cummins 5.9, 24v Cummins 5.9, 3126. now if your looking for dognose, V8 come into play, and I don't have much info on those.

As far as the DT466 being weak, they are buses and even the smallest displacement 12v Cummins on here with 200hp will power you small bus fine. They can all be turned up to at least 300hp fairly easy.

I haven't heard about the cracked pistons on the Cummins, but I have heard of the killer dowel pin of the cracked 53 block. I have only heard of one bus out of thousands having a 53 block (this might have been a swap, as most went to dodge trucks).
The killer dowel pin is a 2 hour fix if you have an affected 12v.

I ended up with a 24v Cummins as the only big issue I see is premature failure of injector pumps. That is remedied with a better fuel pump. I thought it was worth the reliability to get parts for it at any Napa across the country and parts are crazy cheap. It's pretty easy to rebuild and doesn't have cavitation issue to worry about like a wet sleeve. I have ordered RV275 injectors to crank up the HP a bit more to my taste.

I would've preferred the 12v Cummins, but none got paired with an MD3060 in the short TC2000. I also wanted air ride and some of the modern things. Can't have it all I guess and some electronics don't scare me.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote