Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4700
Engine: International T444e/ Ford 7.3 powerstroke
International 4700 t444e sounds different all of a sudden (video).

https://youtu.be/6JBmJ437bNQ

So firstly, can someone explain to me where this sound originates from in the first place when you either turn the ignition key or press on the brake? Secondly, there's a grinding noise that just appeared suddenly, what would cause a change in how it sounds?

DJTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTM View Post
https://youtu.be/6JBmJ437bNQ

So firstly, can someone explain to me where this sound originates from in the first place when you either turn the ignition key or press on the brake? Secondly, there's a grinding noise that just appeared suddenly, what would cause a change in how it sounds?
Wild guess, clutch throw out bearing?
I am assuming the engine is running, no?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Oh no. This is the sound that's made before the engine is turned on. The sound can be made by turning the key in the ignition or by just depressing the brake.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Oh no. This is the sound that's made before the engine is turned on. The sound can be made by turning the key in the ignition or by just depressing the brake.
Ok, like I said wild guess. You aren’t providing much info like, what kind of bus you have ?

Please fill out your user profile. That will help others in helping you!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:21 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Apologies. I filled out my profile. I actually have a box truck conversion. It's a1998 international 4700 with the t444e engine (aka 7.3 powerstroke) and a spicer 5 speed manual transmission. The sound you can hear in the video can be made by either depressing the brake or turning the ignition key to the on position (this truck has a push button start feature) the sound you hear immediately stops once the engine is turned on.
Old 12-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Juice brakes with a hydroboost system?

Could be the backup electric-hydraulic pump going out.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
That's your hydroboost auxiliary pump running-- should go away when you start the engine.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
That's your hydroboost auxiliary pump running-- should go away when you start the engine.
Thanks for the replies guys. What does the hydro boost auxiliary pump do? What happens if it's going bad like booyah45828 said?
Old 12-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
Bus Geek

It gives you brake boost without the engine running. It will run the electric motor if the power steering pump isn't building pressure with the key on, or if one pushes on the brake pedal with the key off. It's kind of a fail safe system, so that you have assisted braking in emergency situations.

They're not particularly quiet when operating, but if it's grinding loud, then a bearing has likely went out and will eventually seize up, which will then nix the failsafe feature it provides.

If it's bad, it's definitely something that should be looked at and repaired.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
It gives you brake boost without the engine running. It will run the electric motor if the power steering pump isn't building pressure with the key on, or if one pushes on the brake pedal with the key off. It's kind of a fail safe system, so that you have assisted braking in emergency situations.

They're not particularly quiet when operating, but if it's grinding loud, then a bearing has likely went out and will eventually seize up, which will then nix the failsafe feature it provides.

If it's bad, it's definitely something that should be looked at and repaired.
Forgive me for sounding like a dummy, I'm new to truck driving, but what kind of emergency situations? Like the engine shutting off all of a sudden? Cause that happened to me before and I had to coast to a stop with zero power steering, but the brakes worked fine (changed the CPS, hasn't happened since btw). But, what other types of emergency situations might arise?
Old 12-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #11
Bus Geek

What you just described.

Or blowing a power steering line.

Handful of situations that could arise I guess. They prioritize stopping over steering I guess. But that pump should run when there is no steering assist and the red brake light should illuminate as well. The pump isn't particularly quiet, and you might have a warning label near the drivers area telling you to press the brakes with the engine off to verify the pump works, before starting the engine for the day.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
What you just described.

Or blowing a power steering line.

Handful of situations that could arise I guess. They prioritize stopping over steering I guess. But that pump should run when there is no steering assist and the red brake light should illuminate as well. The pump isn't particularly quiet, and you might have a warning label near the drivers area telling you to press the brakes with the engine off to verify the pump works, before starting the engine for the day.
Understood. Thank you for the clarification. I know the pump is loud and I've seen videos of other international trucks but the sound that it made last week was what it's supposed to sound like; it was a steady predictable sound with little fluctuation (like a square wave). Now it sounds like a square wave with static...I don't know how to describe it but it doesn't sound natural anymore, it sounds like something is wrong. Im going to check the fluids make sure that stuff is straight. I just put almost 5 grand fixing her up and I don't want to spend another dime. I'm not worried about the engine shutting off anymore, it's amazing how changing a $20 CPS sensor stopped that because id been dealing with that since I got the truck in 2019!

Im driving to Houston in mid January, if the hydraulic auxiliary pump were to die on me mid trip, would she be ok to drive until I got to Houston, now that I don't have to worry about the engine abruptly shutting off?
Old 12-22-2021, 07:18 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Understood. Thank you for the clarification. I know the pump is loud and I've seen videos of other international trucks but the sound that it made last week was what it's supposed to sound like; it was a steady predictable sound with little fluctuation (like a square wave). Now it sounds like a square wave with static...I don't know how to describe it but it doesn't sound natural anymore, it sounds like something is wrong. Im going to check the fluids make sure that stuff is straight. I just put almost 5 grand fixing her up and I don't want to spend another dime. I'm not worried about the engine shutting off anymore, it's amazing how changing a $20 CPS sensor stopped that because id been dealing with that since I got the truck in 2019!

Im driving to Houston in mid January, if the hydraulic auxiliary pump were to die on me mid trip, would she be ok to drive until I got to Houston, now that I don't have to worry about the engine abruptly shutting off?

make sure your powered steering fluid is full, if the fluid is starting to get low it can make the pumop sound wierd as there is a little air in it.. if your fluid is nasty looking (isnt clear or red).. you may need to change it and change the filter ()on both my IH busses there is a filter down in the power steering reservoire.

lik Booyah says you want to make sure this is in full working order as it is near impossible to stop a loaded treuck without power assist. I played with my bus in a parking lot (I pulled the fuse for that booster) and shut the bus off.. and damn near couldnt stop it standing on the brake pedal.

The T444E should never shut off on its own but in reality they do... one little flinch from the CPS or a loose wire on the ECM, etc will shut that engine right down.. as you have found out
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
make sure your powered steering fluid is full, if the fluid is starting to get low it can make the pumop sound wierd as there is a little air in it.. if your fluid is nasty looking (isnt clear or red).. you may need to change it and change the filter ()on both my IH busses there is a filter down in the power steering reservoire.

lik Booyah says you want to make sure this is in full working order as it is near impossible to stop a loaded treuck without power assist. I played with my bus in a parking lot (I pulled the fuse for that booster) and shut the bus off.. and damn near couldnt stop it standing on the brake pedal.

The T444E should never shut off on its own but in reality they do... one little flinch from the CPS or a loose wire on the ECM, etc will shut that engine right down.. as you have found out
Thank you Booyah and Cadillackid. I'll check the fluids and filters. I'll swing by my mechanic as well just to have him take a look and make sure everything's in working order. Thanks again guys.