Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #1

International S1853 Wheel Hub Cross-Reference

Good Afternoon All!

I'm new to the forum and I'm actually not the owner of the bus. There's a family stranded in our town (western Virginia) in their tiny home/bus conversion and I'm trying to give them a hand.

They're driving a 1984 S1853 school bus with budd-type front wheels. Their front road-side wheel hub, bearing and spindle have been destroyed (looks like the bearings haven't been checked in a long time). We've tried scrap yards and dealerships and the parts appear to be impossible to find. Some folks we've spoken to suggested an axle swap but we'd need to know what we can swap in that would work.

Does anyone have any experience with cross-referencing wheel/suspension parts? The spindle size couldn't be so specific that there isn't something off a newer model that could fit could it?

Thank you all for your help!

jgarm07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Step 1 would be identifying which axle model and gvw you have. They used several different ones based off of gvw. Look near the right front radiator support and see if the line setting ticket is still taped to the hood.

Once you have a model #, you can look up the part you're trying to find and see if it interchanges with other models of axles. Any IH 1600-1900 would use the same parts depending on the axle/brake/wheel system that was installed. They might have used the same spindle years later, it's hard to tell without a part number though.

Truthfully, from what you're describing, I'd take a hard look at the rest of the axle before I'd proceed to fix it. If it's been so neglected to ruin the spindle on one side, the rest of the axle components(king pins, bearings, tie rods, etc) are likely in poor shape as well.

After a thorough inspection, an axle swap might be the best route to take on this. A tape measure would be your friend in that scenario.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

Definitely sound logic, I was thinking the same but figured sourcing the hub would be easier than an entire axle assy. The family told me they have someone coming up from the southern part of the state with an axle to see if it fits. I assume its off a different model.

I've done a lot of light truck work on GMs and Fords but I'm green with class 4+ trucks. Is the axle and suspension self-contained like a front-wheel drive car (axle, wheels, shocks, springs, etc are all one modular unit)? Would an axle off any International work if the measurements line up?
Old 05-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
S Series international

If you are looking for hub... I have seen six bolt, eight, and ten. Check heavy truck salvage. Junk yards often use buses for storage. Might be able to crib what you need there. I think you are likely to swap axles, NOT always. Spring length and width. Then you have to deal with the steering linkage. Then you have air or hydraulic brakes. Details.

Good luck, you sound like the kind of guy that can make it work. Think of the s series like ford trucks. F100 f150 f250 f350 etc. s1600 s1700 s1800 s1900

Stuff fits, frame different thickness different weight ratings and so on

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Bearings would be the easiest to find, I imagine you could possibly find a hub as well.

The spindle would be pretty difficult to find new.

If you have a 7k lb axle with air brakes and 10 lug hubs, theres a really good chance any 80's IH 7k lb axle with air brakes and 10 lug hubs will fit.

If you called the dealer, and they said the parts are a no go, I'd be looking for a donor. There has to be a salvage yard or scrapyard somewhere with one.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #6

This is extremely helpful.

So what I ran into with the scrapyards around here (after calling 7), anything older than 20 years they start crushing while scrap prices are up. so the oldest IH bus/truck I've been able to find is in the late 90s.

It looks like the S-Series was produced from '79-01. If I figure out the axle weight rating can I source a hub off a 90's model or are they dramatically different? (hub is 8 lug btw, numbers on it are A0515078 A0515076).

If we go the hub route I'd definitely want to do the other side also.

Thank you again!