Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 10:35 PM   #1

Is it the bus worth?

Heeeeey!
I am really new in the skoolie community and I found a great bus today. The engine is in great conditions and sounds like a baby. But I had a look in the motorroom and I found rust at some spots.. I took pictures and wonder if the bus will survive those rust spots or if it’s possible to get new parts.
It is a sweet deal and it’s driving good. I am just concerned about this.
Chevrolet 1988 bluebird
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
A2181173-38D9-4227-8084-033501F14976.jpg   BC08C2EC-F1E0-4A33-BACA-BCD4623032AD.jpg   68512F41-DFCB-4F83-8DF3-8BDA78119918.jpg   3F2B37E6-77B0-4119-A19B-4A8DB37A5E47.jpg  

lissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Those pics honestly look like the exhaust manifold, which isn't going to hurt anything, it looks like typical manifold rust. Not a big deal because the manifold is thick cast iron and doesn't affect structural integrity anyway. Exhaust being rusted is a foregone conclusion, it is designed to be replaceable.

You need some shots of the flooring from underneath the bus and frame rails front to rear -- THAT will tell the tale... You also need to keep in mind that a 34-year-old bus is going to have some rust unless it spent all its life in TX, AZ or something like that.

Where is this bus currently, and where was it used when in service?
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Those pics honestly look like the exhaust manifold, which isn't going to hurt anything, it looks like typical manifold rust. Not a big deal because the manifold is thick cast iron and doesn't affect structural integrity anyway. Exhaust being rusted is a foregone conclusion, it is designed to be replaceable.

You need some shots of the flooring from underneath the bus and frame rails front to rear -- THAT will tell the tale... You also need to keep in mind that a 34-year-old bus is going to have some rust unless it spent all its life in TX, AZ or something like that.

Where is this bus currently, and where was it used when in service?

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Alright, I will definitely get those pics. I had a look underneath tho and it didn’t look bad at all. It is in brooks right now and the school used it for 30 years till they had to get rid of it (because it’s the longest time they can legally drive children’s in busses) as I know.. so yea.. they just got rid of it because of the age.
lissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
It’s where???

From your pictures it’s a gasoline Chevy truck engine, probably a 366/427. The exhaust manifolds rust, and can sometimes crack but they’re replaceable and still available.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
That rust is typical on any engine over the years. Nothing to really worry about.

Where you want to look is around the rear wheel wells underneath.
Also look at the floors while you're under there.

If there is rot through the floors you might want to keep looking, (unless you have deep pockets, or a strong desire to save that particular bus).
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote