Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2022, 07:43 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
Is manual transmission possible?

I saw where Parish Skoolie on youtube did his transmission swap and he stated that you CANNOT put a manual transmission in a front engine transit style school bus because the transmission is too far behind the driver. Is this true or can you add some type of linkage to make it possible? Asking for future reference when my AT545 fails haha. I still have manuals in all my other vehicles and much prefer them.

Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Anything is possible given an appropriate budget. I just doubt the practicality in your application. Probably better off starting with a stick, or just upgrading your auto to something more stout. My manual transmission is like 20 feet behind the drivers seat. There are a few u-joints and some “carrier bearings” supporting the shaft and linkage. It’s also an unsynchronized box so it requires double clutching and rev matching, etc. Not an easy thing to drive like a standard car.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
Anything is possible given an appropriate budget. I just doubt the practicality in your application. Probably better off starting with a stick, or just upgrading your auto to something more stout. My manual transmission is like 20 feet behind the drivers seat. There are a few u-joints and some “carrier bearings” supporting the shaft and linkage. It’s also an unsynchronized box so it requires double clutching and rev matching, etc. Not an easy thing to drive like a standard car.
I figured there was some way to do it, Are all the manuals that could be used unsynchronized?
Old 07-10-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Not all.

I don't know the proper nomenclature but the Topkicks and others had 5-7 speed synchronized manuals, sometimes paired with a 2 speed rear end. That's generally called a 5/2 and the extra gear in the rear end is lower, not higher so it does not help with road speed.

Most Eaton-Fuller or 'Roadranger' 8+ speed transmissions have an air-activated hi/low with possible under/overdrives. This is class 7+ transmission and is unsynchronized.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:50 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
yes

If you have a 545, then I would go looking for eaton/fuller 6+1,

the gear spread is pretty good and is not a 1,000 lb monster from a class 8 truck.

if you look in the catalogues you will see that most transmissions can be fitted with remote shifters. this would allow the transmission to sit behind you and you can have a shifter next to you.

the kind of remote shifters I am talking about use tubes/rod from shifter by the driver to a shifter link on the transmission.

as an example go to ebay and type "spicer remote shifter" and there are two for sale right now.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
If you have a 545, then I would go looking for eaton/fuller 6+1,

the gear spread is pretty good and is not a 1,000 lb monster from a class 8 truck.

if you look in the catalogues you will see that most transmissions can be fitted with remote shifters. this would allow the transmission to sit behind you and you can have a shifter next to you.

the kind of remote shifters I am talking about use tubes/rod from shifter by the driver to a shifter link on the transmission.

as an example go to ebay and type "spicer remote shifter" and there are two for sale right now.

william
nice, definitely something to consider. Since I have the 24v 5.9 Cummins I could go with a 1000/2000 series allison also I think but manuals just seem to last and work better imo
Old 07-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
anything is possible.. my 1965 Fishbowl bus is a Rear engine and its a stick... with a linkage that goes all the way up to the front of the bus....
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:37 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
I figured there was some way to do it, Are all the manuals that could be used unsynchronized?

The ones Magnakansas ( William) is suggesting are synchronized, and would be the most suitable. I had looked into them as well to go behind a 5.9 cummins
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
The ones Magnakansas ( William) is suggesting are synchronized, and would be the most suitable. I had looked into them as well to go behind a 5.9 cummins
is the +1 reverse? i'm trying to figure out what I'm looking for? 6. speed eaton manual right? if you have a link please post it if possible
Old 07-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

+1 is normally a granny gear. Example my bus has a 4 +1, so 5 speeds, and it is normally used like a regular 4 speed in the normal "H" pattern. +1 is a low first gear meant for starting on a grade or heavy loads
Old 07-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
+1 is normally a granny gear. Example my bus has a 4 +1, so 5 speeds, and it is normally used like a regular 4 speed in the normal "H" pattern. +1 is a low first gear meant for starting on a grade or heavy loads

with a gasoline engine, that granny gear can really be nice on an incline..
I remember driving an old loadstar farm truck loaded with grain.. being I was young and still trying to master driving a stick that granny gear I know prevented me from destroying grills on cars behind me

wait that "old" loadstar was probably less than 10 years old at that point.. wow im old...ha!
Old 07-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Oh yes I love it. Also great for pulling other buses out of sand.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
re -- trans behind driver
We acquired a couple HDT (Heavy-Duty Truck) service vehicles at auction.
Mid-engine with the manual trans 'to heck and gone' behind that.
Mileage was around 50,000 in a couple decades... a subtle clue nobody at the utility wanted to drive them.
Bid, and Sold! to the starry-eyed campers from Oregon.
And 'yes', we noticed some snickering among the non-bidders around us.
Head-shaking, and 'wish you well's.
Yeah but, we are from Oregon, we are tough, we can handle anything.
Toss us into the thick, and we will 'endeavor to persevere'.
Sure.
Famous last words.
And then, the 800-mile test-drive to get it home.
Shifter inputs were along the lines of 'considering to form a committee to possibly maybe'.
Going first-to-second was... well, let me put it this way:
* think 'going for your morning run then taking your first nap of the day'.
Multiplied by several more shifts to achieve ramming speed.
But what goes up must come down...
The trans was a 8LL, eight forward gears with a very low first... one of my favorite sticks.
The rigs were also 4x4.
The trans linkage included a 'spider', a flexible connection part-way back.
We picked up ours -- a relative copped the other -- east of Frisco from a California auction for the state-wide utility, Pacific Gas And Electricity aka PG&E.
We planned a leisurely stroll up the coast highway, camping and sight-seeing on the way back to Oregon.
Then, a quick conversion to a live-aboard, and we would be off-n-running to remoter mountain lakes than our usual remote mountain lakes.
Sounds like a plan, right?
Sure.
That linkage to the trans was the sorryest, most worthless pile of frustration I ever encountered.
Good grief.
I could mostly grab a higher gear during acceleration -- mostly -- but down-shifting was flat-out impossible.
Now, the coast route along the east side of the Pacific has hills and curves, lots of fun places to practice my shifting.
But few places to pull over, find 'first', and once again, join traffic.
And then, a few hundred yards further, another series of attempts to down-shift, and the search for the next spot to pull off, allow faster traffic to pass, and then, slug back onto the road.
How did I feel, how do I remember, my experience with a trans behind the driver?
Words were exchanged, energetic words.
Words with significant volume....
But you go right ahead.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:03 PM   #14
Bus Geek

my fishbowl bus is a rear engine... and its a stick... yes trans behind driver is possible..
Old 07-20-2022, 04:19 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
re -- trans behind driver
We acquired a couple HDT (Heavy-Duty Truck) service vehicles at auction.
Mid-engine with the manual trans 'to heck and gone' behind that.
Mileage was around 50,000 in a couple decades... a subtle clue nobody at the utility wanted to drive them.
Bid, and Sold! to the starry-eyed campers from Oregon.
And 'yes', we noticed some snickering among the non-bidders around us.
Head-shaking, and 'wish you well's.
Yeah but, we are from Oregon, we are tough, we can handle anything.
Toss us into the thick, and we will 'endeavor to persevere'.
Sure.
Famous last words.
And then, the 800-mile test-drive to get it home.
Shifter inputs were along the lines of 'considering to form a committee to possibly maybe'.
Going first-to-second was... well, let me put it this way:
* think 'going for your morning run then taking your first nap of the day'.
Multiplied by several more shifts to achieve ramming speed.
But what goes up must come down...
The trans was a 8LL, eight forward gears with a very low first... one of my favorite sticks.
The rigs were also 4x4.
The trans linkage included a 'spider', a flexible connection part-way back.
We picked up ours -- a relative copped the other -- east of Frisco from a California auction for the state-wide utility, Pacific Gas And Electricity aka PG&E.
We planned a leisurely stroll up the coast highway, camping and sight-seeing on the way back to Oregon.
Then, a quick conversion to a live-aboard, and we would be off-n-running to remoter mountain lakes than our usual remote mountain lakes.
Sounds like a plan, right?
Sure.
That linkage to the trans was the sorryest, most worthless pile of frustration I ever encountered.
Good grief.
I could mostly grab a higher gear during acceleration -- mostly -- but down-shifting was flat-out impossible.
Now, the coast route along the east side of the Pacific has hills and curves, lots of fun places to practice my shifting.
But few places to pull over, find 'first', and once again, join traffic.
And then, a few hundred yards further, another series of attempts to down-shift, and the search for the next spot to pull off, allow faster traffic to pass, and then, slug back onto the road.
How did I feel, how do I remember, my experience with a trans behind the driver?
Words were exchanged, energetic words.
Words with significant volume....
But you go right ahead.
haha sounds like a blast. definitely something to consider, I don't think I would need that kind of linkage thankfully and most definitely would want a synchronized transmission. I talked to a local diesel mechanic and he said the Eaton weren't that great in his opinion though so if and when I need to replace mine I may just try to upgrade to a 2000 allison
Old 07-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
haha sounds like a blast. definitely something to consider, I don't think I would need that kind of linkage thankfully and most definitely would want a synchronized transmission. I talked to a local diesel mechanic and he said the Eaton weren't that great in his opinion though so if and when I need to replace mine I may just try to upgrade to a 2000 allison

everyone wants a stick.. but im happy as a camper with my 6 speed programmable Automatic... stick is fun in a hobby classic that I wouldnt drive as much but for something im going to traverse city traffic and moiuntains i kind of like auto (a good auto).. there is Nothing worse than a terrible auto.. .. and I do agree stick can often offer more gears.. (esp in the case of a friend of mine that has TWIN sticks. a 4 speed Behind a 5 speed)... there isnt a gear he doesnt have!
Old 07-20-2022, 08:48 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
everyone wants a stick.. but im happy as a camper with my 6 speed programmable Automatic... stick is fun in a hobby classic that I wouldnt drive as much but for something im going to traverse city traffic and moiuntains i kind of like auto (a good auto).. there is Nothing worse than a terrible auto.. .. and I do agree stick can often offer more gears.. (esp in the case of a friend of mine that has TWIN sticks. a 4 speed Behind a 5 speed)... there isnt a gear he doesnt have!
Twin stick, right on 😁

I put a 3 speed auxiliary in my Dodge, 5 speed main. That was real nice, I could always keep the engine in the sweet spot.

Well at in the bus I have a two speed rear, so that gives me 10 speeds when I need them
Old 07-20-2022, 09:40 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Twin stick, right on 😁

I put a 3 speed auxiliary in my Dodge, 5 speed main. That was real nice, I could always keep the engine in the sweet spot.

Well at in the bus I have a two speed rear, so that gives me 10 speeds when I need them

my has his twin in a Bus.. its a thomas with a DT360 he swapped in, bus was originally a 7.3 IDI and AT545.. good riddance.. hello DT and twin stick
Old 08-31-2022, 03:35 PM   #19

When I started driving tour and charter bus, the company had some 10 year old coaches. The first thing the guy who gave me my check ride said to ALWAYS shift in a straight, square H pattern to avoid jamming the linkage on the older coaches.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:00 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I have put a 13 speed in my Bluebird. I used the shift cables from a cab forward medium duty. There are lots of them out there.
Bearmtnmartin is offline   Reply With Quote