Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #1

ISO Sister bus. 8.3/MD3060

I've got a 1997 All American BlueBird with and 8.3 Cummins motor and an MD3060 Allison Transmission.

Our old Transmission Control Module was stolen from our bus. We located and purchased a used TCM and now need it to be programmed.
Ive reached out to about 8 different company's to help with this and they all need the Configuration Identification Number (CIN) off of the stolen unit. That's not going to happen..

Is there a skoolie owner with a similar bus that could pull their TCM and
let me use the CIN on it? I be forever indebted to you.

Thanks for the read and any responses.
I have reached out to multiple rebuild company's (including John from Transmission Instruments), every shop or service center I called required the old CIN. or else they would be loading random configurations and just hoping it works .

TheAldrikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Dang, that stinks. Heck of a thing to target. Maybe I better put a lock on my windshield wiper door.

Do you know if you had a WTEC3 or a Wtec2. I think the Wtec2 had the TCM built into the keypad and a 2 digit display..

Since your Cummins is mechanical, you may be able to take the CIN from the 12v Cummins combo as well, since it's all going to rely on mechanical sensors rather than data from the ECM.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
maybe try your schools local bus barn?
all of them i have ever pulled up to and just got out and started talking to the mechanics and they never had a problem with answering questions.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Dang, that stinks. Heck of a thing to target. Maybe I better put a lock on my windshield wiper door.

Do you know if you had a WTEC3 or a Wtec2. I think the Wtec2 had the TCM built into the keypad and a 2 digit display..

Since your Cummins is mechanical, you may be able to take the CIN from the 12v Cummins combo as well, since it's all going to rely on mechanical sensors rather than data from the ECM.
I do have the WTEC 2, its got the 2 large oval plugs. I do not have a replacement keypad for it yet, I still have to figure out where to plug in the keypad. I thought it hooked directly to the TCM, and it might. All of the keypads I've seen online have a smaller square connecter.

Is there an engine/trans combo CIN somewhere? The placard on the transmission doesn't give me anything. I haven't seen any placards on the engine.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

Ill give it a try. I think the local school bus company has upgraded all of its busses to newer models. They might have some old ones laying around still
Old 06-10-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
1997 cummins 8.3

can you confirm this is a mechanical injection 8.3?

You should also be able to use cin from a 8.3 motorhome with the same type of engine and transmission....

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
can you confirm this is a mechanical injection 8.3?

You should also be able to use cin from a 8.3 motorhome with the same type of engine and transmission....

william
oh yea, I've verified the serial number through the Cummins site. I've seen the mechanical pump as well. I just don't know how exactly it interfaces with the trans. I've been told by a few people that there is an engine RPM sensor for the transmission and that's it.

I have gotten ahold of a Bus manual for maintenance charts, maybe an Allison transmission manual can give me more information. I doubt it'll have a CIN though
Attached Thumbnails
8.3 Details.jpg  
Old 06-10-2022, 05:41 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
the CIN

if you can verify what the TCU came from... you can read the cin from pictures

there are several on ebay....

there should be a throttle position sensor, engine rpm and drive shaft rpm are sensors in the transmission

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:50 PM   #9

I could start combing ebay and searching VINs.
I haven't found one for my setup yet
Old 06-18-2022, 09:53 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
I have a 96 Bluebird All American rear engine with 8.3L Cummins and MD3060 transmission and 5.38 differential ratio. Where is the TCM located so I can give you a CIN? I would go to the WOG (Wander lodge owners group) and see the engine swap they did on a rear engine unit. It had a MD3060 transmission installed with sixth gear locked out and he got the serial number from a friend who had a motor home with the same unit but with sixth gear opened and used that information to get his unit programmed. When life hands you a lemon make lemonade.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
1995 DT466 w 3060 but had the TCM traded out to ECM King in Texas, here is my current CIN 08003Q005J. Give that a whirl. Have you tried calling ECM King in Tx? They may be your answer. My TCM is stand alone, not in shifter. TPS is on transmission with cable going to throttle. RPM is on torque converter. This is a smart idea.... stand alone transmission package that could be used on about any diesel. TPS is cable from throttle, power is dedicated cable going to batteries, shifter can go about anywhere and only limited by umbilical cord.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpop View Post
I have a 96 Bluebird All American rear engine with 8.3L Cummins and MD3060 transmission and 5.38 differential ratio. Where is the TCM located so I can give you a CIN? I would go to the WOG (Wander lodge owners group) and see the engine swap they did on a rear engine unit. It had a MD3060 transmission installed with sixth gear locked out and he got the serial number from a friend who had a motor home with the same unit but with sixth gear opened and used that information to get his unit programmed. When life hands you a lemon make lemonade.
Oh wow! Thanks for responding! The CIN is posted on the side on the TCM. The TCM should be just beneath your electronic shift pad. I've talked to a few people that can do the 6th gear. ill focus on that later though. The TCM should have a couple plugs that look like this
Attached Thumbnails
20220427_183100 (1).jpg  
Old 06-21-2022, 07:39 PM   #13

I have reached out TCM King in Texas, I might make some engine or transmission modifications in the future. I'm focusing on just getting the bus moving with what its got!

Tags
allison, bluebird, newbie, skoolie build, transmission computer