Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2022, 09:34 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird international
Leaking oil

Hi! I just bought my first bus so I’m new to this 💁🏻*♀️. Its leaking oil. It’s a 97 bluebird international DT 466 engine. He said they rebuilt the motor at 161,000 miles. It currently have 162,000. I have attached pics. It’s sounds good while running and oil level is good.
I have been so sad about this so I figured I would come here bc I been reading and y’all have lots of knowledge!! Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
0ADE28E2-1557-4BC2-A843-87FA4E7B3C01.jpg   F4FDD1A2-C327-45B9-9EDC-C69C2BE53E15.jpg   6C2DF038-B33D-42FF-8F81-DF7397C43A50.jpg   39810E02-CA52-46A1-A2B0-EFE1AF74B952.jpg  

CajunCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i wouldnt think at 1000 miles on a full rebuild it would be leaking?
but everyone has a different idea on what a rebuild consist of.
looks like the rear main seal.
and there are not to many diesels out there that dont leak somewhere.
please dont use the stop leak stuff?
just keep an eye on the fluid level and how fast or slow the leak is?
does it leak more while running or just little spots when parked?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Engine oil pan looks clean and dry outside. But that transmission is covered in oil. It's even soaking what I assume are the cooler lines.
Best trick I've found for tracking down leaks is to clean the surfaces as best as you can with a rubber safe degreaser. Then put baby powder on areas that you suspect could be leaking. It will show you a very obvious trail of liquid flow.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
i wouldnt think at 1000 miles on a full rebuild it would be leaking?
but everyone has a different idea on what a rebuild consist of.
looks like the rear main seal.
and there are not to many diesels out there that dont leak somewhere.
please dont use the stop leak stuff?
just keep an eye on the fluid level and how fast or slow the leak is?
does it leak more while running or just little spots when parked?
I doubt it would be leaking if that rebuild really happened.
Just the spots when parked. I will run it today and watch to see what happens!
Thank you so much for your reply. I’m clueless but been reading to learn more!
Old 10-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the blow-by tube.. if a DT or a T444E is even the least bit over-filled with oil and then is highway run at near its maximum RPM.. she's gonna blow oil out the draft tube all over the ground.. (that one looks normal fill) blow-by should be very minimal on a freshly in-framed DT466 as typically the in-frame kit sends you pistons that are matched with their liners... of course there are kits where everything is just in a box and the rebuilder needs to measure and match the best fit of rings and pistons and sleeves or a builder can bonehead the build and mix up a matched set then you;ll have excessive blow-by..

if the rear main is leaking you typically will find oil up inside the flywheel housing.. an in-frame rebuild usually doesnt replace the rear main seal as that needs done from the rear of the engine with the transmission and flywheel removed
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse House View Post
Engine oil pan looks clean and dry outside. But that transmission is covered in oil. It's even soaking what I assume are the cooler lines.
Best trick I've found for tracking down leaks is to clean the surfaces as best as you can with a rubber safe degreaser. Then put baby powder on areas that you suspect could be leaking. It will show you a very obvious trail of liquid flow.
I see where it’s dripping now!! Let me see if I can attach a pic
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-09-2022, 10:39 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
I agree it seems to be a struggle to keep these old diesels from leaking everywhere.

However I agree with Clouse House, this doesn't look like an typical engine oil leak because the oil pan is dry. I agree with the assessment that the transmission cooler lines are leaking. You may be able to acquire new ones through International, but your best bet is to remove them and take them to a hydraulic shop like Colliflower or Tipco where they can make you a new set for a couple hundred dollars, for each hose. I also recommend a jumbo crossfoot set and large breaker bars, breaking them free can be a fight...

Is it a whole story and the only fix you need? Not likely. The bellhousing is curiously wet, either not cleaned off when the engine was rebuilt, or the rear main is leaking.

It should be noted that there tends to be two kinds of diesel engine rebuilding, in-frame, and out of frame. Out of frame is much more througho, but more expensive because now you have the labor of removing the engine and transmission from the bus. Why is the transmission coming out too? Because the bellhousing is so strong that the transmission is bolted to it alone and rarely gets a separate mount.

The more cost-effective in-framing leaves the engine in the bus, but doesn't always remove the transmission so the crankshaft can be serviced. This is usually enough to breathe new life into the engine it usually refers to just replacing the cylinder liners (a nice feature of the DT466, most other skoolie engines require serious machine work) which may or may not come with new pistons and rods. Either way you have new cylinder bores, new piston rings, new rod bearings, but not always new main bearings or a rear main seal. Just depends on how in depth they decided to go.

Even still we can give them the benefit of the doubt and say the rear main was replaced, but wasn't set correctly. I'm not familiar with the DT466 rear main, but on the Cummins L9s they want you to set these things up extremely precisely with dial indicators and what not. The instructions are honestly quite confusing. On the L9 the rear main also requires removing the bell housing, which also has the engine mounts attached to it. This only adds to the difficulty because you need to support the very heavy engine.

TLDR: Replace the transmission cooler lines, degrease the engine and transmission, monitor closely to identify the source of the leak. Do NOT use any sort of stop leak product.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:40 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I’m not saying it originated there
Old 10-09-2022, 10:48 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Sorry I spent a while typing that and in that time several posts happened.

As for your picture, to be quite honest I can't identity that part because I'm not familiar with that model of transmission.

I will say oil leaks usually follow gravity and flow rearwards due to the engine and transmission being inclined a few degrees. Your picture implies a source higher up, tho the drop on that part is highly suspect as a source.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
I agree it seems to be a struggle to keep these old diesels from leaking everywhere.

However I agree with Clouse House, this doesn't look like an typical engine oil leak because the oil pan is dry. I agree with the assessment that the transmission cooler lines are leaking. You may be able to acquire new ones through International, but your best bet is to remove them and take them to a hydraulic shop like Colliflower or Tipco where they can make you a new set for a couple hundred dollars, for each hose. I also recommend a jumbo crossfoot set and large breaker bars, breaking them free can be a fight...

Is it a whole story and the only fix you need? Not likely. The bellhousing is curiously wet, either not cleaned off when the engine was rebuilt, or the rear main is leaking.

It should be noted that there tends to be two kinds of diesel engine rebuilding, in-frame, and out of frame. Out of frame is much more througho, but more expensive because now you have the labor of removing the engine and transmission from the bus. Why is the transmission coming out too? Because the bellhousing is so strong that the transmission is bolted to it alone and rarely gets a separate mount.

The more cost-effective in-framing leaves the engine in the bus, but doesn't always remove the transmission so the crankshaft can be serviced. This is usually enough to breathe new life into the engine it usually refers to just replacing the cylinder liners (a nice feature of the DT466, most other skoolie engines require serious machine work) which may or may not come with new pistons and rods. Either way you have new cylinder bores, new piston rings, new rod bearings, but not always new main bearings or a rear main seal. Just depends on how in depth they decided to go.

Even still we can give them the benefit of the doubt and say the rear main was replaced, but wasn't set correctly. I'm not familiar with the DT466 rear main, but on the Cummins L9s they want you to set these things up extremely precisely with dial indicators and what not. The instructions are honestly quite confusing. On the L9 the rear main also requires removing the bell housing, which also has the engine mounts attached to it. This only adds to the difficulty because you need to support the very heavy engine.

TLDR: Replace the transmission cooler lines, degrease the engine and transmission, monitor closely to identify the source of the leak. Do NOT use any sort of stop leak product.
Thank you so much!! I truly appreciate your reply and all the knowledge! I have zero knowledge which is why I came here! I read this forum a lot and there’s a wealth of knowledgeable people! I had it 2 weeks drove it from Missouri to my home in Louisiana and once after that a few miles. No leak until now. I will find a known diesel mechanic around here since I have no idea how to do those things. And get him to check the things you said!!
Old 10-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Sorry I spent a while typing that and in that time several posts happened.

As for your picture, to be quite honest I can't identity that part because I'm not familiar with that model of transmission.

I will say oil leaks usually follow gravity and flow rearwards due to the engine and transmission being inclined a few degrees. Your picture implies a source higher up, tho the drop on that part is highly suspect as a source.
I figured it flows rearward … I’m under here now looking
Old 10-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the blow-by tube.. if a DT or a T444E is even the least bit over-filled with oil and then is highway run at near its maximum RPM.. she's gonna blow oil out the draft tube all over the ground.. (that one looks normal fill) blow-by should be very minimal on a freshly in-framed DT466 as typically the in-frame kit sends you pistons that are matched with their liners... of course there are kits where everything is just in a box and the rebuilder needs to measure and match the best fit of rings and pistons and sleeves or a builder can bonehead the build and mix up a matched set then you;ll have excessive blow-by..

if the rear main is leaking you typically will find oil up inside the flywheel housing.. an in-frame rebuild usually doesnt replace the rear main seal as that needs done from the rear of the engine with the transmission and flywheel removed
Thanks!! I appreciate this! My knowledge is zero but I’m trying to get educated on this! I’m thinking I should just have it checked.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #13
Skoolie

I was going to say;
"Can you get a white cloth or paper towel and try to get some on it? Preferably a drip that is hanging but not yet fallen? Anything on the outside of the trans will be too dirty to tell what color it original was.
Golden (like honey) to brown to black is engine oil, looks for hints of yellow and orange in dirty fluid. Red (like cherry cough syrup) to brown is transmission fluid, look for hints of red.
That would definitely narrow it down from rear main (engine oil) leaking from the engine onto the trans and coating everything as it moves down and to the rear or the trans. VS a port or seal on the trans leaking down."

But after looking at your pictures more while typing, I think you might have an engine and a transmission leak.
The photo you took in post #6 does look heavy in transmission fluid but from the photos in post #1 it looks like it's coming from higher up. Actually in one photo in particular you can see a very wet engine oil pan bolt. So potentially they pinched or misaligned the oil pan gasket. Or maybe something even higher up.

Looking closer at the marks on the ground it looks like you might have two different leaks. The front where you have several drops is darker like engine oil, probably from higher up as a slight breeze can change where a tiny drop will land. While the rear larger mark is lighter and I swear it looks reddish to me.

I really feel like the only way you're going to find out is to clean all of that gunk off. It's a crappy job but it'll give you a definitive answer.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:03 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse House View Post
I was going to say;
"Can you get a white cloth or paper towel and try to get some on it? Preferably a drip that is hanging but not yet fallen? Anything on the outside of the trans will be too dirty to tell what color it original was.
Golden (like honey) to brown to black is engine oil, looks for hints of yellow and orange in dirty fluid. Red (like cherry cough syrup) to brown is transmission fluid, look for hints of red.
That would definitely narrow it down from rear main (engine oil) leaking from the engine onto the trans and coating everything as it moves down and to the rear or the trans. VS a port or seal on the trans leaking down."

But after looking at your pictures more while typing, I think you might have an engine and a transmission leak.
The photo you took in post #6 does look heavy in transmission fluid but from the photos in post #1 it looks like it's coming from higher up. Actually in one photo in particular you can see a very wet engine oil pan bolt. So potentially they pinched or misaligned the oil pan gasket. Or maybe something even higher up.

Looking closer at the marks on the ground it looks like you might have two different leaks. The front where you have several drops is darker like engine oil, probably from higher up as a slight breeze can change where a tiny drop will land. While the rear larger mark is lighter and I swear it looks reddish to me.

I really feel like the only way you're going to find out is to clean all of that gunk off. It's a crappy job but it'll give you a definitive answer.
The bigger spot by itself when I wiped it is reddish! The pic attached is when I dabbed the drops sitting on the bolt of the oil pan. I’m going to clean it this evening or tomorrow morning. What kind of degreaser should I get? Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #15
Skoolie

I prefer "Purple Power." It is a concentrated cleaner that you can water down inside of a spray bottle. You just want to make sure you wipe it off before it dries, cause it leaves a residue. Definitely not a paint prep cleaner, but great for oil.