Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

manual rheostat instead of TPS for automatic transmission control?

I've got an idea regarding a computer controlled automatic transmission - a manual potentiometer

I have an Allison 2500 that I want to swap for the AT545 behind a carbed 454. There is no TPS on the carb, and I don't want to add one.
What if, for the TPS input to the computer, I hook up a manual potentiometer and put it on the dash?

So, when I want it to downshift and change the shift points to high RPMs, I slide the potentiometer up to imitate full throttle. Coasting on the highway, slide it down to indicate low throttle. Then I can have more control of the shifting. I can make the computer think I have it floored if I wanna run higher RPMS at low throttle. I can make the computer think I have it at low throttle and not downshift if I want to lug the engine. Or somewhere in the middle.

Would this work?

wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Are the TPS on buses on the gas pedal anyway?
wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:41 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I don't think that is going to work for a number of reasons, first of all you will have very erratic shift quality and timing. The other is most tps units are 3 wire units that the computer sends a reference voltage and has to see a return. More than likely will set codes. cadillackid will have a solution. By the way was this transmission programmed for the big block chevy?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote