Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins
Rated Cap: 37'
Mechanic near Canton, OH, to come look at some buses?

Hi All -

After tons of research, reading, questioning, and agonizing, have narrowed down the search for a bus to a few locations, and will start with Canton, OH. Per the great guidance we've received on this forum, we will "NEVER buy a bus un-inspected"!

And so, does anyone know a mechanic who can take a look at some buses in Canton? They are all on the same lot - DT466 or Cummins 5.9 engine with an Alison trans of unknown model, with air brakes. All pre electrical, 99-2001. I'm told they run and are straight from a school, but he also has no idea what kind of transmission they have, so who knows. The mileage varies from 55K to 250K, so again, unsure what each bus's deal really is. Its a 300 acre lot, and he isnt interested in trapesing around taking pictures of underbellys and engines for me.

And if no one knows anyone, any guidance on how to find someone? Could I just call up a well reviewed "large-truck" garage?

Thanks!

Sevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Skoolie

Mechanic in Canton, OH, or Wallisville TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevier View Post
Hi All -

After tons of research, reading, questioning, and agonizing, have narrowed down the search for a bus to a few locations, and will start with Canton, OH. Per the great guidance we've received on this forum, we will "NEVER buy a bus un-inspected"!

And so, does anyone know a mechanic who can take a look at some buses in Canton? They are all on the same lot - DT466 or Cummins 5.9 engine with an Alison trans of unknown model, with air brakes. All pre electrical, 99-2001. I'm told they run and are straight from a school, but he also has no idea what kind of transmission they have, so who knows. The mileage varies from 55K to 250K, so again, unsure what each bus's deal really is. Its a 300 acre lot, and he isnt interested in trapesing around taking pictures of underbellys and engines for me.

And if no one knows anyone, any guidance on how to find someone? Could I just call up a well reviewed "large-truck" garage?

Thanks!
Oh, and our next spot after Canton, OH, is Wallisville, TX. I tried to focus on Southern buses to avoid rust.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
My advice, for what its worth?, is concentrate on the TX bus(ses).

If the seller in OH is unwilling to take pics for you, it sounds like he might be trying to hide something on his busses, (RUST).

Best of luck to you in your search...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3
If you're shopping Canton area it might be worth the drive down to yellow bus sales in Newcomerstown, that's where we found our dream bus for a great price. They don't have their inventory online so you have to walk the lot and turn over a few stones but they've got plenty to pick from. If you have trouble finding them on the map they share a lot with Mike and B sales
aswallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
mike and B is a scrapper but he sells runners too..

however a lot of what I see from pauls, Mikes, etc in eastern / NE ohio are rust buckets.. ohio typically has very good running busses.. the inspector is a hard-ass for mechanicals / heaters, lights, etc but when it comes to rust that area of ohio is one of the worst.. the road quality is also terrible in that area too which means you may find worn out suspensions..

I definitely wouldnt even think about those busses without seeing and driving them..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
also you are just in DC it says in your profile.. just head over and take a look.. its a weekend trip. . you'd probably spend the same amount or more hiring someone to go look at busses for you that you would if you drove over and inspected them
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
Skoolie

Can confirm rusty buses to be had from yellow bus sales but I've got more time than money right now (so here come the rust repairs) and couldn't pass up an 8.3 with an MD3060 for $2,500. Especially in today's market with how expensive buses have gotten. I only test drove the one but once i saw and heard everything worked fine i didn't need to drive another, so i can't comment on the other buses on their lot but they did right by me on mine.Attachment 51532Attachment 51533Attachment 51534Click image for larger version

Name:	20200715_171033.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	51535
Old 11-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
also you are just in DC it says in your profile.. just head over and take a look.. its a weekend trip. . you'd probably spend the same amount or more hiring someone to go look at busses for you that you would if you drove over and inspected them
I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge whatsoever, and would not trust a bus I inspected! Feel it is worthwhile and wise to have someone qualified look over a bus before we purchase it.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallie View Post
Can confirm rusty buses to be had from yellow bus sales but I've got more time than money right now (so here come the rust repairs) and couldn't pass up an 8.3 with an MD3060 for $2,500. Especially in today's market with how expensive buses have gotten. I only test drove the one but once i saw and heard everything worked fine i didn't need to drive another, so i can't comment on the other buses on their lot but they did right by me on mine.Attachment 51532Attachment 51533Attachment 51534Attachment 51535
Oh wow, how do the legs of the seats get so rusty?! Water in through windows? Or up through floor?
Old 11-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevier View Post
Oh wow, how do the legs of the seats get so rusty?! Water in through windows? Or up through floor?
The bus came from Sandusky Ohio area, part of the show belt. Kids getting on the bus with snow covered boots kicking around is my best guess. The top of the entry stairs are a bit rusty too but the underside isn't too bad from what i can tell.Attachment 51536Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_121123.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	51537Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_173707.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	51538
Old 11-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Riders would be my guess as well.

Not a big deal if you're removing the seats anyways. If it has a subfloor, make sure the rust didn't travel to the steel under floor. The frame shot you show looks like mine, rustier then one from out west, but tolerable and still structurally sound.

As you've found out, some rust isn't the end of the world, as long as it's in the right places and you have the skills to repair it.