Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built Buses
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: Mercedes-Benz 6.4L MBE906 I6
Rated Cap: 42
Mercedes-Benz 6.4L MBE906 I6 - Intructions for Replacing Alternator

Hello,

I'm trying to replace my alternator on our 2007 Thomas Built Freightliner. I have ordered a new one and I am tempted to just start taking apart connections that are in the way of removing the alternator, but I'm trying to get some insight on the proper way to do it. I've included some photos. Also couldn't find a Mercedes engine section so I'm posting here. I would've taken it to a shop, but the bus is stranded at our house because the alternator died.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Dillon and Abby
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7513.jpg   IMG_7514.jpg   IMG_7515.jpg  

ranger_doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Doesn't look to tough, hardest part may be getting at the belt tensioner.
Hope you have sockets and extensions. Take pics so you get it back together correctly, mechanically and electrically.
Do your self a favour and disconnect main batteries before anything.

John
Old 08-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Doesn't look to tough, hardest part may be getting at the belt tensioner.
Hope you have sockets and extensions. Take pics so you get it back together correctly, mechanically and electrically.
Do your self a favour and disconnect main batteries before anything.

John
Ya, that compressor sitting right on top of the motor didn't look too tough either. After removing 7 of the 8 bolts securing the compressor to the bracket, and 4 of 5 bolts out of the bracket and everything is till solid. That's when I found one more hidden bolt on the front of the compressor and one more bracket bolt, neither can be reached without pulling the front grill and radiator out of the way. Figure another hours work to get to the bolts that will take 1 minute to remove.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Ya, that compressor sitting right on top of the motor didn't look too tough either. After removing 7 of the 8 bolts securing the compressor to the bracket, and 4 of 5 bolts out of the bracket and everything is till solid. That's when I found one more hidden bolt on the front of the compressor and one more bracket bolt, neither can be reached without pulling the front grill and radiator out of the way. Figure another hours work to get to the bolts that will take 1 minute to remove.

There's a catch to every job it seems. I don't mind because the designers only have so much room to make it all fit. Much easier when going down an assembly line to install but you do what you have to do at times. That alternator should wiggle in and out with enough cursing.

John
Old 08-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
What kind of alternator do you have.. Mine broke also ( mbe906) but that was the regulator. May be check the brushes first and or have the regulator tested. what kind of failure , no charge , over charge, Does your alternator light stay on?

Good luck, Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
What kind of alternator do you have.. Mine broke also ( mbe906) but that was the regulator. May be check the brushes first and or have the regulator tested. what kind of failure , no charge , over charge, Does your alternator light stay on?

Good luck, Johan
Put new batteries in, correctly sized and hooked up. Started the bus and the alternator shorted and caught the insulation on fire. Don't have the type of alternator handy on me, but thank you all for the advice! Really appreciate it!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I guess new brushes are not going to fix it. If you with whatever low chance thought or were not sure if you had the battery inverted then I would disconnect the alternator and see if the engine is still running and see if the tranny is still shifting correctly before you replace the alternator.

Good luck, j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
I guess new brushes are not going to fix it. If you with whatever low chance thought or were not sure if you had the battery inverted then I would disconnect the alternator and see if the engine is still running and see if the tranny is still shifting correctly before you replace the alternator.

Good luck, j
Thank you J, I'll definitely need to double check that. Probably prob around with an voltmeter just to double check my work.

Tags
alternator, mercedes, thomas 2008