Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #1

Meritor Wabco HCU issues

I am having an issue and i was hoping someone here might be able to help.

I have a 2008 Champion 40 passenger w/ a MaxxForce DT. The bus has hydraulic brakes and i can't get the front circuit to generate pressure. I've done some reading and this thing seems to sometimes have issues where the pump freezes up and won't pressurize. Solution is generally replace the HCU (hydraulic compactor Unit).

I went to a dealer for a quote and they wanted 8k+ for the part. Which i think is NUTS.

has anyone run into this issue or better yet, solved it in a relatively economical way? 8 grand is flat out nuts.

shaggn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
If the part needs replaced and verified to be bad, then you got to bite the bullet and pay up for new or hopefully find a used part in a junkyard.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
If the part needs replaced and verified to be bad, then you got to bite the bullet and pay up for new or hopefully find a used part in a junkyard.
I understand that. But what i am wondering is if anyone has run into this issue and found it to be something other than replacing the whole unit.

I think its also possible that i still have an air bubble in the system and its not bleeding out for some reason.
shaggn85 is offline   Reply With Quote