Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Mt643 vs manual

Any opinions or info about mt643 vs a manual in an mechanical dt466 or 12v 5.9? Is one obviously better in some way?

BUDDY1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDDY1976 View Post
Any opinions or info about mt643 vs a manual in an mechanical dt466 or 12v 5.9? Is one obviously better in some way?
That's like asking if you prefer Blondes over Brunettes. Some may be better for sport while others may only be good for luxury and a smooth easy ride. When driving your vehicle around are you up for the challenge or just want to enjoy the scenery and not have to think of the mechanics of driving the bus while having to learn a few techniques in how to drive it and get the most enjoyment out of operating it.

And that certainly has a different meaning for everyone. We all enjoy ours in different ways and for different reasons. For me the most fun is to shift it and enjoy the driver-vehicle Gestalt that happens with a finely tuned and responsive Crown. The actual driving experience is what is most enjoyable, the journey truly is the goal. But I'm biased as is well known. It's sublime and hard to make others understand.

This depends entirely on if you like to shift manually or not. Never ending debates and advice much like .45 vs 9mm. It's your call. The MT64x family of Allison automatic transmissions is about as bulletproof and forever lasting as you could want. And they're cheap to find and get replacements and repairs. Not EVER to be confused with the AT545 series. These are to be avoided under most circumstances unless you can live with their limitations. Note, I didn't say bad, just limited and may not be for everyone and how they intend to use their bus.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:53 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. I do enjoy shifting manually. And though manuals (in many cases) are more durable, less problematic, and better on fuel than autos, I have heard this is not always the case. I guess my question is more like though I would prefer a manual, is the mt643 so good that a manual wouldn't be that much better? Mostly because it seems like a manual is going to be a lot harder to find. I don't want my preference for a manual to become unreasonable or impractical. I'm willing to surrender my preference if the practical benefits are minimal
BUDDY1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:35 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
That's like asking if you prefer Blondes over Brunettes. Some may be better for sport while others may only be good for luxury and a smooth easy ride.

Are you still talking about buses here?

I do understand the feeling of driving a manual. However, I usually like that feeling in a sports car. Well now, come to think about it, I enjoyed a manual deuce I drove on a military installation for a bit.

Buddy1976, I have been in an AmTran or International [10-window, I believe] that had a manual transmission. They do exist. I seem to recall it having a CAT 3126 which is what we have in our bus.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:20 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Brunettes for me. My bus had an automatic, yuck. It now has a manual. The MT643 is a nice automatic if get stuck with one. Well behaved, and with a lockup converter fuel mileage will not be much if at all different. I did not see any difference in fuel mileage for mine after changing. Cooling issues did go away. Automatics do make heat.

I am often in the mountains and pulling trailers, so with a 5 speed manual plus two speed rear gives me lots of gears to choose from. I don't think I am the typical skoolie owner though.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you all can fight over all the blondes and brunettes.. neither for me..

oh and Allison 6 speed electronic automatics for me.. OK the MT643 is great too . solid trans, shifts hard, Beefy and designed for heavy hauling on the highway..

I like the 1000/2000/3000 electronic automatics because of the overdrive.. 6 gears instead of 4 means more choices when it comes to selection for the load and terrain.. but they do have computers. computers seem to be a bad word around these parts..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have friends that prefer neither also.

Yes computers are a bad word if you do not understand them. I am having trouble again with my fuel injection, so for now taking it off and putting a brainless carb on.

I have driven a safe t liner with the 3060, and was impressed with it enough so that I would be ok to own one. nice trans but does not fit the no computer requirement for the OP.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote