Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 11:59 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
My first journey and hopeful first adventure....

I honestly can't remember when I bought my bus, but I think it's between two and three years.

I've been chipping away at it consistently along the way with a bit of actual help and a lot of good advice and the lending of tools from my friend. In addition, all of you great people, with a few very specific ones (you know who you are).

On Saturday, I satisfied an itch I've been having for a long time. I drove my bus for the first time farther that five miles from home.

I live just outside of Seattle, in Auburn, WA. 87' above sea level. It was around 65 degrees.

My first climb was up East bound Highway 18 over Tiger Mountain summit at 1,375'.

This is the one pull where the bus did not downshift on its own, so I pulled it into third at about 1700 rpm and she climbed up to 2200 rpm and started gaining speed to pass a U-haul! Woo hoo!

With increased confidence, I continued to I-90 and Snoqualmie Pass. It's 3,000' elevation, 6% grade, that goes from 400' (North Bend, WA.) to the summit over 25 miles. It's the last few miles that are the steepest. I was watching my speedometer, rpms and EGTs. It settled at 53mph, 1750 rpms and 1140 EGT in 4th. I wasn't sure if I should have manually downshifted, but fortunately those number only last for about a minute, then the grade must of flattened a bit and she started gaining rpms and speed.

I knew 1200 on the EGT was a limit, and if the numbers hadn't of started changing so soon, I would have pulled 3rd. I was waiting to see if she would downshift on her own.

I know now I should have downshifted to increase the rpms and push the EGTs down to around 900.

It was 41 degrees at the summit.

As a wise mechanic recently told me in a great bit of a drawl, "Ol' Allison's are kind of like kids, ya' gotta guide'm a bit." Sage advice.

I've ordered a auxiliary transmission cooler. It has a 1.75" tube and 1600cfm fan, so I'm expecting some much better numbers. Which I will need, as I have a hope to head to California in the middle to late July, which will take me over Siskiyou Pass, at just over 4,100' at the summit and a 2,300' gain in six miles on a 6% grade.

If I get into California okay, and the bus performs well, I'm hoping to extend my trip to Flagstaff, AZ to meet up with a couple of other posters.

If I make it that far, well, all I have to do is put her in reverse and do it all again in the opposite direction.

Towards the very end heading home I get to climb the North bound part of the Siskiyou pass, which The return trip gains 3,500' over 125 miles from Redding, CA. to the summit, and then I lose 2,300' in six miles.

Keeping my fingers crossed this all occurs. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:16 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Sounds like a well deserved fun run.
Safe travels

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
That sounds awesome! Glad it went smoothly. I keep chipping away at mine, I’m looking forward to the day to take her across the country.
JT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
So cool to read this post, happy for you
These numbers confirmed I probably should pull a gear way sooner when climbing, and buy a pyrometer ...
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
EGT. I had to look that up.

Do I need one of those?
All I have now is the plain ol temp gauge.

Thanks!
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
EGT. I had to look that up.

Do I need one of those?
All I have now is the plain ol temp gauge.

Thanks!
Yes, for a diesel and EGT is essentially essential.

Depending on your engine and the pistons, there's a point where they will self destruct if they get too hot.

Driving by EGT, especially when pulling a grade or towing, will allow you to keep your engine safe.

Obviously I too am still learning of how to drive a diesel to get the best performance and keep it safe.

So, yes, get an EGT. I got mine for TowMax. ~$150. It may not be the best, but it has good reviews.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I know now I should have downshifted to increase the rpms and push the EGTs down to around 900.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:

I’m trying to get my head around increasing rpms and lowering exhaust temp. Did I read that right?

Sorry but I am the flattest of flatlanders. I do have a low geared rear end in my (formerly)Virginia bus. I’m hopeing that will help me in the mountains.

[emoji3522]
Old 05-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
I’m trying to get my head around increasing rpms and lowering exhaust temp. Did I read that right?

Sorry but I am the flattest of flatlanders. I do have a low geared rear end in my (formerly)Virginia bus. I’m hopeing that will help me in the mountains.

[emoji3522]
It's my understanding, from two very knowledgeable diesel engine people, that by increasing the RPMs it pulls in more cooler air which helps lower the EGTs.

Here's a couple of links that may give further insight.

https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/...hp/t-9034.html

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ig-load-50169/
Old 05-17-2021, 11:51 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner WestCoast-ER
Engine: CAT 3116 TA 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I knew 1200 on the EGT was a limit, and if the numbers hadn't of started changing so soon, I would have pulled 3rd. I was waiting to see if she would downshift on her own.

Towards the very end heading home I get to climb the North bound part of the Siskiyou pass, which The return trip gains 3,500' over 125 miles from Redding, CA. to the summit, and then I lose 2,300' in six miles.

Keeping my fingers crossed this all occurs. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks to this thread, I now know I need to make sure I have a working EGT gauge.

To give you a bit of confidence, I may have driven my auction bus the 1200 miles up from LA to Seattle on I-5 without incident, including Siskiyou Pass. I took it slow and took cues from the pro semi drivers, and it was fine.

My dash was somewhat inoperative for the trip, so I used a GPS speedometer app on my phone and kept an eye on the tachometer, which seemed to be accurate (or at least consistent). If my bus has an EGT, it doesn't have a working one. I'm making a big list of all the stuff I need to be fixed once I'm able to drive it legally to a qualified mechanic.
mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
Thanks to this thread, I now know I need to make sure I have a working EGT gauge.

To give you a bit of confidence, I may have driven my auction bus the 1200 miles up from LA to Seattle on I-5 without incident, including Siskiyou Pass. I took it slow and took cues from the pro semi drivers, and it was fine.
Glad the thread helped, and thanks for the encouragement about siskiyou. Central obviously close by, be nice to meet up with our buses and do a little comparison. PM me when you get it rode legal.
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
You will find much cheaper fuel and open highways if you go down through Nevada than California. Bon voyage.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Per cheaper gas, I have to go through Northern California because that's where the friends and family are. Yet, I will look at what it would take to go through Nevada from San Francisco to Arizona.
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote