Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 Allison Transmission
Rated Cap: 30
Unhappy Need advice: fuel tank leak

Just bought our 2008 International DT466 with Allison transmission on Monday, 2.5 hours away, near Indy. Yesterday we started pulling seats and stop signs, etc. and noticed a leak spot under the fuel tank.

1. we signed no warranty of course, but does it seem plausible there was no issue with the tank prior to our driving it home? Seems odd to me that they would not have seen this coming. Or are we SOL because we drove it so far?

2. any advice on diagnosing whether it's fixable or needs to be replaced.

3. is there anyone in NW IN who can look at it with us?

Thanks.

Valerie

Rick&Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Chances are there is a leak in the sending unit at the top of the tank, which would cause some seepage from sloshing while driving that would travel across the top and down the sides once parked.

Also, you could have a leak somewhere in the system forward of the tank that is blowing backward under the body while driving.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Chances are there is a leak in the sending unit at the top of the tank, which would cause some seepage from sloshing while driving that would travel across the top and down the sides once parked.

Also, you could have a leak somewhere in the system forward of the tank that is blowing backward under the body while driving.
TY. I can post some pics, but the tank shows dampness more on the bottom and we think it is probably where it is hitting the "cage" it is sitting on.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick&Val View Post
TY. I can post some pics, but the tank shows dampness more on the bottom and we think it is probably where it is hitting the "cage" it is sitting on.
There are rubber isolator bands that are supposed to protect the tank from friction against the straps that hold it to the frame. It's possible they have shifted or rotted out, allowing metal-to-metal.

If the tank requires replacement, that should be pretty standard from a truck salvage yard (skoolies are generally bus bodies added to an incomplete Class 5 / 6 / 7 truck chassis), or you might see if there is a recall for the chassis series in this system. Sometimes someone is asleep on the assembly line and a few slip out with certain things not done right or not done at all.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, thanks for all the great info! We will look for a truck salvage yard in the area.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
There are rubber isolator bands that are supposed to protect the tank from friction against the straps that hold it to the frame. It's possible they have shifted or rotted out, allowing metal-to-metal.

If the tank requires replacement, that should be pretty standard from a truck salvage yard (skoolies are generally bus bodies added to an incomplete Class 5 / 6 / 7 truck chassis), or you might see if there is a recall for the chassis series in this system. Sometimes someone is asleep on the assembly line and a few slip out with certain things not done right or not done at all.
Thanks so much for all this awesome info. We will look for a truck salvage yard in our area.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
I had a leaky tank with 45 gallons in the tank. I bought a 55 gallon plastic drum found on Craigslist that had canola oil in it. I used a drill pump to transfer diesel to drum.

I bought a new tank at Cleveland tank for $700. I thought about having mine repaired but figured a new tank would give peace of mind. I replaced myself and was easier than I thought. Took maybe 3 hours
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:41 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood443 View Post
I had a leaky tank with 45 gallons in the tank. I bought a 55 gallon plastic drum found on Craigslist that had canola oil in it. I used a drill pump to transfer diesel to drum.

I bought a new tank at Cleveland tank for $700. I thought about having mine repaired but figured a new tank would give peace of mind. I replaced myself and was easier than I thought. Took maybe 3 hours
Thanks for sharing your experience. We have someone with a steel drum we can borrow and Rick bought a drill pump. I think he is going to try and do it himself. He works for Royal Excursion and has been talking with the mechanic there. I think he is going to try and do it, possibly with the mechanic's help. Our neighbor is a welder, so I suppose we are going to try and patch it, but I like the idea of getting a new one. It would give me peace of mind too. I tend to worry about everything ;)

Val
Old 10-08-2020, 05:30 AM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. We have someone with a steel drum we can borrow and Rick bought a drill pump. I think he is going to try and do it himself. He works for Royal Excursion and has been talking with the mechanic there. I think he is going to try and do it, possibly with the mechanic's help. Our neighbor is a welder, so I suppose we are going to try and patch it, but I like the idea of getting a new one. It would give me peace of mind too. I tend to worry about everything ;)

Val
Don't ever try to patch a fuel tank with any kind of welder. Gasoline is flammable, diesel is combustible, which means it will not explode, but it does have the ability to ignite under the right conditions, similar to kerosene (quite a few people have used kerosene in older mechanically injected diesels to save money by avoiding fuel tax -- although it isn't strictly legal).

Now, highway diesel is a different deal than it used to be (Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel), but I still don't think I would try to weld on a used fuel tank, no matter what it once contained.

I think I would try JB Weld before I'd try welding. But it's honestly less trouble to replace the tank, especially if your repair doesn't hold.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:26 AM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
Tanks can be welded but precautions have to be taken. I do not have the experience but a welder friend told me when I was thinking about doing it myself to hook the tank up to a vehicle exhaust pipe and keep the vehicle running the whole time you are welding to keep the diesel fumes out of tank.

This all sounds good in theory but I'd rather leave this to the professionals.

Heck, I even filled my old tank with water when I was cutting in half with the sawzall.
dwood443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:20 AM   #11
Traveling

Quote:
Tanks can be welded but precautions have to be taken. I do not have the experience but a welder friend told me when I was thinking about doing it myself to hook the tank up to a vehicle exhaust pipe and keep the vehicle running the whole time you are welding to keep the diesel fumes out of tank.
So they'd rather euthanize themselves than blow themselves up or spontaneously combust?
Quote:
Heck, I even filled my old tank with water when I was cutting in half with the sawzall.
That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea except for two things... The leak is likely to snuff your flame or electrocute you / short your equipment before you can get it done, and even if it doesn't, it's going to take a while to get every last bit of moisture out of that tank.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:39 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Midwest Transit is going to look at it

Good news, I called the company we bought the bus from and they are going to look at the bus to try and figure out the problem. I was hoping they would do so, since it appears they missed something in the inspection they did after we made a deposit. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #13
Traveling

Quote:
Good news, I called the company we bought the bus from and they are going to look at the bus to try and figure out the problem. I was hoping they would do so, since it appears they missed something in the inspection they did after we made a deposit. Thanks for all the help!
Ya know... Maybe it's just me... But I would think a company worth buying from would have done such an inspection prior to listing for sale...

Hopefully they'll make it right though.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
tanks can be easily and safely welded by washing out good and pumping co2 into it while welding. i have electric welded new bottoms and gas welded (brazed) pinholes. replace the bottom do not take a chance on a used tank unless you can see the bottom inside is not rusty. any good welding shop will do this for you.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Just bought our 2008 International DT466 with Allison transmission on Monday, 2.5 hours away, near Indy. Yesterday we started pulling seats and stop signs, etc. and noticed a leak spot under the fuel tank.

1. we signed no warranty of course, but does it seem plausible there was no issue with the tank prior to our driving it home? Seems odd to me that they would not have seen this coming. Or are we SOL because we drove it so far?

2. any advice on diagnosing whether it's fixable or needs to be replaced.

3. is there anyone in NW IN who can look at it with us?

Thanks.

Valerie
Tough guy radiator in lakeville Indiana off old 31.

Where you at in northwest Indiana??

If you need help let me know I am in south bend
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Tough guy radiator in lakeville Indiana off old 31.

Where you at in northwest Indiana??

If you need help let me know I am in south bend
Thank you. We are within an hour of South Bend. Midwest Transit agreed to look at it...it's in South Holland IL and they are estimating repair for tank and straps. Would your guy be able to do an estimate? I would much rather have at least two to choose from.

Val
Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Yah he would do an estimate
Old 11-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Just want to update everyone on this and give props to Midwest Transit. I finally called our salesperson, Tom. He directed us to their S Holland IL service team. They looked it over for no charge and then gave us a great deal on installing a new fuel tank. Can't say enough good things about MT. They want to get more into the Skoolie movement and I highly recommend them for anyone looking to buy a school bus.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Good news!!!