Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #1

NEED INFO: 1986 Chevrolet B6000

Looking at a 1986 Chevrolet B6000 series bus.
Length: 11 window, plus driver window.
Style: dog nose
Engine: GAS, 6.0L 8 cylinder
Transmission: manual, that's all I know

What OWNER sent me: "1986 Chevrolet MD/HD Trk B60 B6P042 6.0L Carburetor 8cyl" and
VIN: 1gbk6p1b2gv105334

Not sure what all that means, or if he made mistake, or if it's accurate. English isn't his native language.

How do I look up specs for this bus? Where?

It's already converted for full time living, which is what I'll use it for.

Intentions/use: I'd like to drive it up and down Santa Barbara, CA mountains to park it and then use motorcycle/car for shuttling. I'd like to tow a decent sized box trailer for extra storage/garage/motorcycles. I like that it's a manual for controlling steep/twisty mountain descents. I will occasionally travel with this rig, but will mostly park it and move around mountains every 2-12 weeks.

Thoughts? Gas engine reliability or problems? Not suited for towing at all? Not sure of this model/year.

Kwest364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
that ol bus

the engine is probably a 366 medium duty truck engine.... you are not going to find the thermostats at your corner autozone........ The carburetor is not your average Holley either..... It is truck stuff.

Will it tow a trailer yup. will it tow a trailer at 70 miles per hour? might but it will kind of hard on the motor... at 55-60 mph yea... better numbers usually.

up hills at 70 mph...... small hill, over the rockies? count on 2nd or 3rd gear and 30mph.

many many people before drove gasoline busses all over north america before you. make the trip match the machine, dont get in a hurry, keep temperatures and oil pressure in the good zones and speeds at what ever happens. use a lot more two lane roads.

oh, make sure those rubber brake lines are made new every ten years or so. take apart all the brake system and inspect and repair everything in the system. especially if this hydraulic brakes.

william

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote