Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
New battery now or later

Hi,

Hoping to get some opinions on this. I'm in the middle of demo on my bus (2006 Bluebird) and the batteries are toast. I can jump start the bus - but I'm seeing that this is a bad idea based on other forum questions. The batteries show that they are charging when the bus is running but go dead quickly when I turn it off. They're completely dead, no lights or anything.

Obviously I need new batteries. The question is do I buy them now or later? I'm in Canada and we're a few months away from - 20C temps. Other than starting the bus, I won't be driving it from the time snow falls (December) until spring (May).

Will the batteries be damaged sitting all winter with minimum use? Or is it worse to let the bus sit without starting all winter? I was hoping things could wait until we were Road ready but that isn't happening.

Thanks!

Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I'd replace them now and also consider some sort of engine heater that plugs into 110VAC. Depending on your engine there should be pan heaters, freeze block heaters, and even coolant heaters available. When you want to start you plug in the heater several hours earlier (the night before) and the batteries will be much happier.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the quick reply!

My bus has a plug close to the doors on the outside, I was wondering if it's a built in engine heater? I know some of our ambulances had them because it's such a nightmare to start diesel engines in the winter. I've got the bus close enough to an outlet that I can run a heavy duty extension cord to it
Old 09-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Not only would I replace them now, I would also invest in a decent 120v charger/maintainer.

I'm driving my bus enough not to need to have my charger hooked up, but as winter comes, I'll connect it and forget it.

Batteries are too expensive and sensitive not to properly maintain them. Speaking of maintenance, I got the AGM so I didn't have to worry about fluid levels.

Best of luck.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

It looks like I'm in the market for new batteries!

The plug is an engine block hearer, or so other threads on this forum tell me, so at least that's covered.

Cant wait until the bus is done so I don't have to deal with winter anymore!!
Old 09-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
It looks like I'm in the market for new batteries!

The plug is an engine block hearer, or so other threads on this forum tell me, so at least that's covered.

Cant wait until the bus is done so I don't have to deal with winter anymore!!

Try to follow the cable on that plug and see where it goes. It may go to the side of the engine block which means it's probably a "freeze plug" style heater. It could also go to a flat sheet on the oil pan. The freeze plug type is better in my opinion but the oil pan one will work too.
If you have a multi-meter test that plug that you believe is the block heater. You should be able to find a spec online for the resistance value you're looking for.
And, if you don't have a multi-meter.....GET ONE. You're going to need it.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If I knew I would not need them till spring, I would not buy them now. Cold weather is hard on batteries. Is there a draw on yours bringing the voltage down when not running?

Tags
bus batteries, starting the bus