Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
New tire installation on Dayton wheels

Last week I had two new tires installed on my front axle and made a video of the process. I added this video to my conversion thread, but I thought some people might want to watch the removal and installation of these type of wheels, so I'm posting it in its own thread as well.

Video on my web site:

Video on YouTube:

PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: New tire installation on Dayton wheels

Nicely done... I hated working with Daytons but people dont really understand when they are taking them off you need to unseat them... AND LEAVE THE LUG NUTS ON SO THE WHEEL CANT FLY OFF! This is very important.

If you are uncertain and dont know what your doing please do not "try".... it can be very dangerous. These guys make it look very simple.

Good video thought.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

very good video.. It's not as hard to change truck tires as most people think. If you have tire irons, n a sledge hammer - i use a splitting mall, and maybe something to blow the tire back on the rim when u direct couple the air line to the valve stem.
also, if u want cheap manual tire machine for cars, the harbor freight ones will work fine. I have changed at least 800 tires on the one i bought when they opened their store here 14 yrs ago.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Daytons are a lot stronger than Budds. They are good but safety is of utmost concern. If you treat them like that, you will be good.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird Conventional
Chassis: International S-1753
Engine: 6.9L IDI
Rated Cap: 65

I notice you said your rig has 255/70R22.5 tires in your video, they're like 37'' tall. lol I also can see that there's not alot of fender clearance over your rear axle, so I guess your tire size choices are REALLY limited. You might try, if you want, the 265/75R22.5 size tires, they're just ever-so-slightly taller at 38 inches tall, and they'll fill up the fenders nicely, AND give you an extra mile or two faster out on the highway. lol Now, taking into consideration you have a very nice DT-466, and an Ally MT-643 with 4.44 gears, I calculated you can do about 50MPH @ 2000RPM's. People don't really think about it but, tire size effects gearing just as much as changing the axle gears do!! So, even though you have 4.44 gears, those little 37's really hold you back. And being you only have 4 gears to work with in your transmission is another factor too. And, not to mention the MT-643 dosen't have an Overdrive gear either, (it's top gear is 1:1 or "direct drive") the only thing you really can do here to get some more highway speed is, change the gears in your rear axle. Your DT-466's sweet running range is between 1500-2200RPM's... But, your tires, and axle ratio are killing your speed, and fuel mileage. But, the saving grace here, is again, your nice DT. You can really run some high axle ratios, because your engine actually has the power to turn them. Now, If I were you I would try, a 3.90, or a 4.10 in the rear axle. With those you could be pulling 55-60MPH @ 2000RPM's. Or, 65MPH @ 2400RPM's. With a DT-466 you always want to center the engine RPM's around 2000 for the best highway cruising, and fuel economy. So, gearing your Rig to run 55-60MPH @ 2000RPM's is perfect highway gearing for your engine, AND you will reap the benefits of better fuel economy, and not taching out your engine out so high, and it will run smoother, and save you some wear and tear in the long run. Also, I wouldn't gear it to peak at any higher than 65MPH @ 2400RPM's and that's getting close enough to the governor. So, I think 4.10's would be almost perfect for the ole girl.

So, that's my 2-cents.

BTW, I love your Rig!! She's Very Interesting to say the least!! lol =D
Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns9987
I notice you said your rig has 255/70R22.5 tires in your video, they're like 37'' tall. lol I also can see that there's not alot of fender clearance over your rear axle, so I guess your tire size choices are REALLY limited. You might try, if you want, the 265/75R22.5 size tires, they're just ever-so-slightly taller at 38 inches tall, and they'll fill up the fenders nicely, AND give you an extra mile or two faster out on the highway. lol Now, taking into consideration you have a very nice DT-466, and an Ally MT-643 with 4.44 gears, I calculated you can do about 50MPH @ 2000RPM's. People don't really think about it but, tire size effects gearing just as much as changing the axle gears do!! So, even though you have 4.44 gears, those little 37's really hold you back. And being you only have 4 gears to work with in your transmission is another factor too. And, not to mention the MT-643 dosen't have an Overdrive gear either, (it's top gear is 1:1 or "direct drive") the only thing you really can do here to get some more highway speed is, change the gears in your rear axle. Your DT-466's sweet running range is between 1500-2200RPM's... But, your tires, and axle ratio are killing your speed, and fuel mileage. But, the saving grace here, is again, your nice DT. You can really run some high axle ratios, because your engine actually has the power to turn them. Now, If I were you I would try, a 3.90, or a 4.10 in the rear axle. With those you could be pulling 55-60MPH @ 2000RPM's. Or, 65MPH @ 2400RPM's. With a DT-466 you always want to center the engine RPM's around 2000 for the best highway cruising, and fuel economy. So, gearing your Rig to run 55-60MPH @ 2000RPM's is perfect highway gearing for your engine, AND you will reap the benefits of better fuel economy, and not taching out your engine out so high, and it will run smoother, and save you some wear and tear in the long run. Also, I wouldn't gear it to peak at any higher than 65MPH @ 2400RPM's and that's getting close enough to the governor. So, I think 4.10's would be almost perfect for the ole girl.

So, that's my 2-cents.

BTW, I love your Rig!! She's Very Interesting to say the least!! lol =D
First of all, thank you! It is unique.

There is actually quite a bit of tire clearance inside the rear fenders. The side walls come down low, but the wells in the floor offer plenty of room for bigger tires. However, I spent $1200 on these two new tires and a spare and I'm not about to drop money on a new set of six tires. I'm not planning to drive on the interstate roads at all if I can help it, so top speed isn't a concern for me. I would rather take my time and see the side roads and older highways. Better pictures on those roads.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird Conventional
Chassis: International S-1753
Engine: 6.9L IDI
Rated Cap: 65

Oh ok!! lol Sounds good to me!! Well, I remember you said your Rig was specd with 20'' split rim tires, were they 8.25-20's or 9.00R20's? Because, if so, you could run the 22.5'' equivalent, and get say the 10R22.5's (the 9.00R20 equivalent) ALOT cheaper, and you probably would come across more used ones too in that size. The 10R22.5, OR even the metic equivalent to that, which would be a 275/80R22.5, If you could fit these size tires on there you'd be in business because like I said you can get them cheaper than the little 255/70R22.5's, And if you're going to be off road more so, you'll enjoy a taller tire that will not get bogged down in the mud alot. lol
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

A 255/70R22.5 is actually not an uncommon tire...many trailers and plenty of MDT's use it.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Bus Nut

The original tire size (according to the yellow manufacturer's plate next to the driver's seat) was 9.00-20. I assume those were split-ring rims as I've never seen a 20-inch wheel without a spit ring. That's all I know about the original wheels/tires.

The two replacement tires that I had installed were exact-size matches to what was on there when I bought the vehicle.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

PDBreske

I am sort of fighting the same issues you are. I dont have daytons on my bus thought. When I bought it it has lp245 on the front instead of the 10.00x20s. I still have 10.00x20 on the rear and they still have a ton of tread on them so for now I am going to run them out (which will take forever as I dont drive the bus much) but I am in the midst of collecting some 24.5 budd rims to put on the back.

Reason for my change is I would like to lower the revs on the motor some. Until I get my conversion done I will not make a gearing change so I know what kind of weight I am dealing with so I dont over or under gear it. I will keep the gas motor now and in the future. Its a year I can work on and not wonder how much or what is or isnt going to work. I am not knowledgeable about diesels so I stay where I feel comfortable with.

Jaraxle is right. That is a very uncommon size. I know one of the fleets I serviced used them on their car hauling trailers and most tire dealers didnt stock them so they had a bear of a time when they are on longer hauls outside of our service area. Its a good tire, lots of 1 ton trucks that have adaptors to run 22.5 rims thats the size they will go with.

Nothing wrong with the wheels and the tires you have. It just depends on if you want to make a change to something more common in commercial tire world or what I am doing by going to a larger tire to lower revs.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote