Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2024, 07:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird AA RE
Chassis: Pusher
Engine: 8.3 cummins 24
Rated Cap: 70+
Olí cooling fan

Need to replace my oil cooler fan, hydraulic.
Does this fan push or pull air?
Thanks

mtnfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:18 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
It should be set up to blow air from the front to the back, since that's the direction of travel.It wouldn't make sense to go the other way around.

So if the fan is on the front side of the rad, then it's pushing through the rad, if it's behind it, then it should be sucking. Regardless, it's all going the same direction.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

This is a pusher so the oil cooler sits next to the rad in the engine bay. The fan is seized so can’t tell which way it turns…
Old 04-11-2024, 10:29 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
This is a pusher so the oil cooler sits next to the rad in the engine bay. The fan is seized so can’t tell which way it turns…
Okay, so if it's a transverse-mount fan then you would need to look at the blades themselves.

There should be a "scoop" to the blades, and the scoop should 'cut' the air and 'point' in the direction they rotate and go from the back--or source of flow--and move air to the direction of flow.

Many fans will have molded into the plastic around them somewhere both the direction of flow as well as the direction of rotation. This is usually very, very tiny, and it's not on all fans. It is also sometimes printed on a label in the center of the fan. If you can find this, then it simplifies your problem here.

I am assuming that you're asking this because you're trying to replace it with some kind of aftermarket solution, in which case it really doesn't matter. If you got a stock/OEM replacement, then you would just need to follow the directions and maybe take a picture to make sure that you reinstall it properly--but if you're going with an aftermarket/upgrade part, then it really wouldn't matter as much provided that you follow the directions on the replacement. In that case, I would also say that it depends on what you want to do; for me personally, I would get an electric aftermarket designed to 'pull' air from the outside and through the rad to push it into the bay and assist with cooling anything else in there unless the bus has some nice channels to draft air up from under the bus, which I would assume is unlikely.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:55 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yes I’m going to put in an aftermarket electric fan and run a toggle switch to the dash
For now while we’re travelling cause I want to be sure it kicks on…thanks again . I think I’ll get a fan that pulls the air into the bay