Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54
Original Bus Batteries

When I bought my bus a year and a half ago I also bought a brand new 8D battery. I typically put it on a trickle charge through the winter. The last time I could get the thing started was a month and half ago. I havent been able to start her since, and am noticing a clicking sound coming from the battery. The batt gauge sinks real low (1/8th) when I try to crank her over. She turns over but will not start. I just put in a new distributor cap/rotor and rebuilt holley 4152, changed fuel filter. Still, the thing turns over but wont start and I hear the clicking from the 8D battery. Is there something I can buy to help maintain the 8D? Do you think I have sulfation build up? I have it on charge right now.

jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Original Bus Batteries

Use a 3-stage smart charger.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Original Bus Batteries

Quote:
My bus came with a single 8D battery. Do I have to continue to use the big 8D or can I replace it with 2 smaller batts? forgive me, I am not well versed in battery knowledge. I was hoping to replace the old 8D with more manageable smaller batteries that are easier to come by.

Thanks.

An 8d has a bit over 200 amps. Most buses that I have seen come with two group 31 batteries. Much easier to manage and when wired correctly they will give an equal or greater amount amount of starting amps. My bus came with two batteries but the battery tray has room for three. I put in a 3rd to help when the outside temp get low. Works great.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Bus Batteries

Batteries have become a very misunderstood subject. Bus batteries are needed to do basically a single task. That task is to turn with a specific speed a very large and resistant load. As is known, a diesel engine creates ignition because of compression. Most bus users use batteries that will do the required work for as long as possible at the least cost. Turning a large displacement diesel engine requires lots of amperage for a short time. The amperage available in several car batteries is equal to a large bus battery. Any combination of batteries that provide the required amperage with do the same work. I prefer about any battery that is rated at about 850-950cca to spin my Cummins diesel engine. Two of these batteries are used. My favorite battery supplier is Walmart because the sores are every place and the warranty is great. Special batteries cost is expensive. Group 31, 4d, and 8d batteries are expensive and have a 18 month warranty. Making a warranty claim is very difficult. Changing and moving a heavy battery is a challenge. Many modern trucking companies are changing to 4 hd 6volt batteries. Many new trucks are being made with 24volt electrical systems and maybe cars will follow suite. Using a battery charger to start any engine is not good. The charger will be destroyed and the engine will not charge the battery. The battery must have 12 volts to make any alternator put out a voltage.
Alternators must be excited with 12 volts to put out 15 volts. The alternator uses 1/2 amp to make 100 amps charging amps. Whew, Frank in Idaho
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote