Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #21
Skoolie

WOW! Thanks!

The main issues are the seats. It states "NEW" seats and belts. Does it really have to be new from the factory or can it be "new-to-this-bus" new... if you catch my drift! ;)

mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #22

As they told me about the seats:
1) they will ask you for a purchase proof - only new seats!!!
2) they will check if it comes/available from your car maker, if no, you're free to choose a seat maker
3) they will check is your car could have standard seats, if no, it is up to you and your garage guy to find a best place/fix type
4) they will check if your seats are good mounted - thru the metal cross members and so on
5) they will give you some time, if something wrong with your installation

I'm still thinking about to choose the bus or a step van because of the seats. There is no seats problem with the bus - you're free to use what it comes with. It is a little bit complicated to find something for the step van. MS Sprinter is also a very easy platform, since it has a lot of seats combinations.

Try to find a good garage where they making RV modifications - not the big one, but a middle/small one with good experienced peoples there - this is the key to you project in Quebec. You still could do many things by yourself, but you will need a good supplier for some things and experience.
Start by calling to some authorized by SAAQ garages to talk about after-modifications test. It will give more information.
radionokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Simply the worst province of Canada.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:38 AM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Simply the worst province of Canada.

Nat
Let's not get into this. Everywhere is different, and it comes with regulations. Does it piss me off? Yes. Is it the worst place in Canada...debatable and I don't think it's useful to have this debate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radionokia View Post
As they told me about the seats:
1) they will ask you for a purchase proof - only new seats!!! (Proof of purchase could mean you bought used seats in a store. Do RV seats have dates on them?)
2) they will check if it comes/available from your car maker, if no, you're free to choose a seat maker
3) they will check is your car could have standard seats, if no, it is up to you and your garage guy to find a best place/fix type
4) they will check if your seats are good mounted - thru the metal cross members and so on
5) they will give you some time, if something wrong with your installation

I'm still thinking about to choose the bus or a step van because of the seats. There is no seats problem with the bus - you're free to use what it comes with. (What? You can't just but belts on bus seats... It specifically says so. What do you mean by the bold sentence? It is a little bit complicated to find something for the step van. MS Sprinter is also a very easy platform, since it has a lot of seats combinations.

Try to find a good garage where they making RV modifications - not the big one, but a middle/small one with good experienced peoples there - this is the key to you project in Quebec. You still could do many things by yourself, but you will need a good supplier for some things and experience.
Start by calling to some authorized by SAAQ garages to talk about after-modifications test. It will give more information.(I already called auth. SAAQ inspectors, and the guy had NO idea what to tell me. They mainly deal with mechanical inspections, not the legal equipement part of it...)
Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #25

- New seats ONLY! They gonna call to the store and check with them if it is new officially. And it is really easy to find that it is not new.
- A lot of buses coming with a good seats and belts. You're eligible to use whatever comes with you vehicle before transformation. Seats also. That is why I'm still thinking about the bus.
- Yes, this is a reality. They are authorized to test your converted camper, but they don't have a lot of experience. One guy asked me to bring an electrician to make 12v wires! I asked him to show me this place in the Code. Than he sad that it is only for 110v. It is life!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #26
Skoolie

What kind of bus comes with seat belts???

Coaches? Shuttle buses maybe?

Some shuttles buses have optional lapbelts form the passengers. I wonder if adding the optional belts to an eexssting seat would satisfy the criteria. That might just be the cheapest way...
Old 08-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #27
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
What kind of bus comes with seat belts???

Coaches? Shuttle buses maybe?

Some shuttles buses have optional lapbelts form the passengers. I wonder if adding the optional belts to an eexssting seat would satisfy the criteria. That might just be the cheapest way...
I don't know about Quebec, but in the US, it's school buses that come with seat belts.

I thought this might be a nice shorty for you, but it's close to Albany NY, and I'm not sure what would go on at the border. The phone number to contact the seller is under "Seller Information".

Good luck with your search!

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...46&acctid=6286
ElizaHasAPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaHasAPlan View Post
I don't know about Quebec, but in the US, it's school buses that come with seat belts.
My 40' '03 Amtran came with about 8 belts in the first two rows; all the others were old-fashioned suicide seats. My plan was to can the belts for the dining area and possibly the couch

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaHasAPlan View Post

I thought this might be a nice shorty for you, but it's close to Albany NY, and I'm not sure what would go on at the border. The phone number to contact the seller is under "Seller Information".

Good luck with your search!

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...46&acctid=6286
That shorty would have been awesome! But I don't want to import a bus considering the mess that the conversion is, I don't want the trouble with the import papers! Thanks for the help! And here, school buses don't have seat belts... Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
My 40' '03 Amtran came with about 8 belts in the first two rows; all the others were old-fashioned suicide seats. My plan was to can the belts for the dining area and possibly the couch
I just noticed this. Amtran and some Internatioanls might come with belts as option. I'm wondering if simply adding the option would qualify... Worth looking out for it! Thanks!

Worst comes to worst, I found a few Flexsteel sofa/beds that CAN be equiped with belts. 3 seaters sofa with belts for 620 USD plus taxes, is steep. But if it means we CAN do the project, it's worth it!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #30

Krystal Bus for example:
Used Bus Sales, Krystal Koach KK28 E450

I saw some Ford-based here in Quebec City.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
They all come with belts as a option in the USA and Canada.

All you need to do is ask where the school bus shop gets them from. They install them into the buses that have children that won't stay in the seats. Often times kids with ADHD, down syndrome, ect.

Do they not have a Acklands Grainger in that awful province?

Or a Bus Center?

They have one here in every major city.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Just wanted to add my 2¢ about all the stuff the province of Quebec asks of a RV. In the SAAQ thing, it also says that the RV is a permanent residence.

So if you're more going the campervan way, I don't think you actually need all that. If you think about the Westfalias, Safari condo and such, they don't have propane, shower, etc.

The seatbelts thing is a problem though... But! If you're going the campervan way instead of the full RV, I think you can buy used seats. I wrote to SAAQ today asking some question. I'll share the info as soon as I get an answer.

Also, I'd love to pool the info with you and the other person from Quebec, but I can't write pm yet (not a trusted member...), so you can contact me at raistlain14@hotmail.com if you with so!

Good luck with all that! I'll keep following your thread!

BTW, I found two 2000 Ford E350 with the 7.3L powerstroke for 1800$ in Ontario in you'd like to have a link to that!

Math
Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #33
Skoolie

Ackland granger delivers yeah.

That might be a very good idea. Buy the bus and add optional oem belts.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #34
Skoolie

Pooling the info on hiw to do it in qc with regards to the SAAQ is a great idea.

A "legal" sub forum woyld be a good addition in general but that's not my call!!

The problem I have is imm not sure if you can plate an empty bys as a leasure vehicle. I think it's either a bus or an rv.... but I need to write to them to clarify this.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #35

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
Pooling the info on hiw to do it in qc with regards to the SAAQ is a great idea.

A "legal" sub forum woyld be a good addition in general but that's not my call!!

The problem I have is imm not sure if you can plate an empty bys as a leasure vehicle. I think it's either a bus or an rv.... but I need to write to them to clarify this.
What does this mean in English?

As far as a legal sub-forum, maybe this is what you are looking for.

Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters - Skoolie.net

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #36
Skoolie

Sorry if my english isnt on par with US standard. it's not my native language.

As for the typos, I have a new phone and I'm still getting used to the new keypad. Apologies.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #37

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Nothing wrong with your English but you are using abbreviations that are confusing.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Just got answer from the SAAQ (that's Quebec's Car insurance society; the branch of the governments that regulates cars/trucks/rvs/etc.).

They told me that a minibus can be either plated as a personally owned minibus or an RV. As a minibus, you need to have a mechanical inspection every 6 months and quite expensive fees for matriculation (643,61$ CAN per year). As an RV, it's easier once it's done, but you need to have to complete list you wrote a couple of posts ago...

This is getting me depressed. I'll have a quick look to see what's the regulation in Ontario. I might be able to find a relative/friend there to get an address and work under these regulations...

But with Quebec's legislation, I can't afford to go the minibus way. Full RV conversion is way over my budget and mechanical inspection every 6 months + special driver licence + higher matriculation plate are just too much for me.
Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #39
Skoolie

This is what I was afraid of. Bus or RV.

It's been fun reading and dreaming but it's lights out in the bus project...
Old 08-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #40

Guys,

I'm choosing between bus or step van plated as a camper and I still believe that it is possible.
Here is my math:
Bus (Ford, Chevy, Sprinter) comes with seats or I can buy the new one from maker
Step Van (Freightliner, Ford, Workhorse, GM) comes without the seats, but I will buy spare driver seats and will use them for passengers.
Price could be 300-500USD shipped. This is not the super comfortable RV-class seats, but I need to pass the conversion and get the plates. It will remove yearly inspection obligation.

Where am I wrong?

Anyway, 12-18ft long van/bus converted to RV will cost me $500-700 yearly+insurance.