Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Picking the right train

That sucks, most of the BBs I see have the 5.9 and 545. Now I got to figure out the trannys that lock.

norreh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by norreh1
Does that mean it would run free with no help from the engine holding it back or what happens ? I drove a tractor trailer in the mountains but it had a two stage jake brake and a straight ten man trans, no problem. Now with a auto trans IDK ? We sometimes go to the mountains and go up Saluda mountain going from SC up to the Asheville NC area and that concerns me a little. Thats a steep grade.
We just did the i26 from Asheville to Clinton,SC today again....that is only a 6% for like 2 miles.... gravy with a 5.9 and 545 just keep in first at 20mph and have you safety speed 25/30 and don't rush.

421 out of boone is 6 miles of 6 and 8% with lots of curves, we do this 5 or 6 times a year, as always be at crawling at crest of hill in 1st gear keep safety speed max of 30 and you be fine

Don't drag brakes use them to get to 20 mph quick and then "drive" at about 1800/2000 rpm part throttle until you hit about 30 and repeat....Ido not want to do more than 6 miles of this.

321 out of Boone,NC is scary shiat with this combo...haven't tried since road was finished/fixed this past year

Out west with more than 6 mile down hills, is NOT on my bucket list of must do's

421 north out of Boone is 2 miles of pucker....1st gear 20 mph at 2000 rpm...one foot covering brake and one on the throttle keeping line pressure up.....would make an awesome C.W McCall song
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

I just noticed something very odd. As I shop the bid sights I see quite a bit of cheap buses with blown engines. Im not knocking any make or model of bus or engine but I have yet to see a cummins engine blown and bus selling cheap because of it. Man my search criteria just keeps getting more narrow. I had thought the DT466 was the toughest diesel out their and still may be but even found a couple of them blown. They also had a lot of miles on them. I guess Im down to the 466, 5.9 or 8.3
Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
Bus Nut

I'm not trying to be nasty here but I want to make sure I have the particulars of your needs correct. I may be crazy but from what I can tell you are looking for 1 of the poorest school systems in the nation to retire:
1. Late model
2. Good condition
3. Rust free
4. Good running diesel
5. Lock-up trans
6. Low mileage
7. Driving distance for you to preview before buying/bidding

In other words you want a vehicle with lots of life left, that costs $100K new. And you want it to be auction/sold in a manner that allows you to purchase it nearby for $2500 or less?

I can only wish you good luck in your hunt if that is your list of "must-haves"
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Driving distance as in east GA, NC, north FL as well as any place in SC off the coast. HUMMM just watched two sell for under 3 Gs this week out west and one from North TNN. for 2600.00 right around the 160,000 mile mark BBs with 5.9 engines and 545 trannies in the ten window versions. Whats so different about finding them around west South Carolina east Georgia. Yep Im a newbie to the bus thing and trying to figure out how much I should be paying for one. I figure if I give it a little time I should be able to find one for 25 to 3 grand hopefully. So what do you guys think I will pay for a 1995 BB 5.9 AT545 12 window with around 150,000 miles on it. OK maybe Im wishful thinking. And yes it does look like SC has one of the poorest school districts in the nation. Not sure why but I always thought it had something to do with all the private schools not funding the public school system. Even then they still pay school taxes use them or not. IDK What you guys think. No worry that SC sun gives us tough skin. Tell me what you think straight up.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #26
Bus Geek

See my post in for sale section

The combo you need depends on your goals of where you want to drive...

Where I live I have mints with 6,8 and yes 24% grade (and yes I know that the last is extreme and yadda yadda not legal for interstate roads) last 1.5 miles into or out of boone is steep

Once I am out of the mountains and foothills (about 100miles) its flat heading south and then east or south

I would never do big mountains etc with our bus, its not tranny at that point

I want Jakes and need a real diesel engine for the dt466 is the chose then, in frame rebuild and it,all work
You will not or shouldn't find a non lockup auto with that.

So decide what your travel plans might be a go from there
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2

now that song keeps playing in my head
Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
I guess Im down to the 466, 5.9 or 8.3
Hands down these are your better choices. 5.9 best, 8.3 better, 466 lesser for mpg.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Quote:
I guess Im down to the 466, 5.9 or 8.3
Hands down these are your better choices. 5.9 best, 8.3 better, 466 lesser for mpg.
I also agree in the big three. But don't forget the DT360. It has the same displacement as the 5.9 Cummins, but has wet liners, and weighs 300 pounds more.

The Cummins 8.3, DT466, and DT366 all have wet liners so you can rebuild them without removing the engine from the bus.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
But don't forget the DT360
True, but that engine never blew wind up my skirt.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

I will add the DT360 to my list.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I wanted to put my own 2 cents in. I drove cross country 2 years ago with my wife and 3 kids in an extended 9 month trip. We did this in our 05 Dodge Ram 3500 with a Cummins 5.9. I scaled our rig when we first headed out and found out I was way over weight. We were at 26,000 with a full tank and everyone inside it. I had driven our rig to Asheville and to Nashville from our coastal home of Georgia but never through the Sierra Nevadas or loaded that heavy. This engine did very well with no problems. We averaged 14 mpg and routinely got 24 empty and not towing. I had a chip on it and it was programmed to tow. We went to Missoula Montana and passed through some serious passes that made East side of the country feel flat. We left there went to Oregon and then onto Nevada. When we crossed the Sierras I was scarred but the 5.9 had ample power. I dont know for sure but it sounds like the problem is in the allison tranny.

I am seeking a Cummins motor basically for the ease of finding parts and the relative ease of working on them. Maybe this is just my experience.