Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Possible Allison 3000 overfill - electronic sensor is no good

I had my Allison 3000 serviced (drain, change filters, fill) at an Allison dealer last year. I was experiencing some issues with hard shifts, which they diagnosed as a bad transmission speed sensor. I’ve since replaced both transmission speed sensors, and the shifts have improved, but I still occasionally get weird behavior. The electronic transmission fill sensor doesn’t work (shifter shows code 95), so I can’t use that method. The dip stick shows way over full when the transmission is stone cold or hot, so I’m very confused. I’ve read on the iRV2 forums that the dipstick is not a reliable measurement method and I need to use the electronic method, but that’s not an option.

Should I try draining a couple quarts? Is there anything else I should do or try here?

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I believe that the level is checked while running, in neutral, at normal operating temperature. My showed overfill the first time I just pulled the stick to check it while parked.
I could be wrong so...
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I believe that the level is checked while running, in neutral, at normal operating temperature. My showed overfill the first time I just pulled the stick to check it while parked.
I could be wrong so...
That’s a good point, I always forget, engine oil gets checked with engine off, transmission with engine on. I’ll recheck cold and hot later today when I drive the bus.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Somebody told you wrong. The dip stick is the most reliable when checked under proper conditions as stated above.

Those sensors are notorious for being inaccurate. I googled it after it happened to me. Your Allison will run hot from too much fluid. That will cause your engine water temp to rise as well.

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Good news, I’m an idiot. Checked the fluid while hot and running today, perfectly lined up with the full hot mark.

Bad news is now I don’t know why my trans acts a little weird but it still shifts so *shrug*