Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 25,500
private software

Not sure which forum this would be appropriate for but it may affect the IH people at least my apologies if it's already been posted. Kinda long but relevant. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...=pocket-newtab

Studedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
That and emission controls are why most of us opt for an earlier model bus which predates most of the Big Data era.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Thank you for posting the article, it was a good read.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

This is not news. Go to righttorepair.org and tell them you're with them.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
that is farm tractors only as you can buy the software to fix your own bus or truck
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

I'll assume you are right about that; I don't know one way or the other. But there is lots of other stuff out there that is "locked down" wrt a consumer's options to troubleshoot/repair it vs the mfr's. Think Apple anything.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
CAT lost once in this arena.. whether deere will or not remains to be seen.. Apple and others have been fighting very sikilar battles.. ie Notably the Jailbreakers who jailbreak iPhones.. apple is trying to make it criminal felomy to jailbreak an iphone.. the Jailnreakers state they bought and own their phones and should be able ti run whatever software they want..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Try telling that to a Tesla owner. This issue is already starting to emerge in which second owners of Telsas are expected to re-purchase the same software upgrades that the original owner already purchased and that were advertised as being included in the resale price. How's that for a kick in the pants?! You pay $10k more for their 'Advanced Autopilot' feature then the manufacturer does a software audit and determines that you didn't buy that feature so they remove it remotely. It's simply the challenge as technology infiltrates every industry and corner or our lives and tech companies demonstrate there is no length they won't go to capitalize on our addiction to tech.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Try telling that to a Tesla owner. This issue is already starting to emerge in which second owners of Telsas are expected to re-purchase the same software upgrades that the original owner already purchased and that were advertised as being included in the resale price. How's that for a kick in the pants?! You pay $10k more for their 'Advanced Autopilot' feature then the manufacturer does a software audit and determines that you didn't buy that feature so they remove it remotely. It's simply the challenge as technology infiltrates every industry and corner or our lives and tech companies demonstrate there is no length they won't go to capitalize on our addiction to tech.

software is coming toi a head.. most software is simply a "license to use".. our software is the same.. its standard practice. the issue really comes abiut with the hardware,. such as a tractor or truck where you arent allowed to have the diagnostics to make repairs to your hardware,.

the Tesla situation is another situation altogether snd one that also needs addressed esp when a software item isnt a subscription model. i have never read the EULA for a Tesla to see if purchasing auto pilot is written as a Subscription for the time you own the car or if its written as an actual Purchase.. if its written that you essentially bought a perpetual in your name then that license would end when you sold the car.. if it was sold as an option to the car (like Navigattion).. then it should go with the car..

its all going to end uo in how the software license was written,.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote