Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2023, 09:36 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have an electric because i have 3 busses and wanted to have no excuse for not greasing them.. if its a fairly quick and painless job ..;laying under the bus on a warm day.. then ill do it often.. if I knew it was goign to make my hands hurt then id never do it..
This is my reasoning too, making it easy means I’m more likely to get it done. If I was just doing a car a manual gun would be fine but the amount of zerks on a bus and the size of those zerks seems to justify a powered gun.

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
We've got pneumatic in the shop, I think it's the same lincoln one you bought actually. We go through one about every other year, either through wear or damage.

I was tired of dealing with batteries which is why I went with the pneumatic one 10 or so years ago. Seems they were always dead or had short lives. Maybe the lithium batteries are better, but the ones we used were garbage. We'd maybe go through a tube per battery, if that. Pneumatic one is cheaper, never fails, and works much better for us.

Lock n lube nozzle is a must, especially on a manual gun that requires 3 hands. Or your one hand with the barrel in your arm pit.

Also, if you're blowing piston seals, remove the barrel from the gun first, and then pull back on the handle to compress the spring. Pulling it with the barrel attached to the gun creates a vacuum inside the barrel which can ruin the seal. A little tidbit I learned.

I've got half a dozen different manual guns, each one with a different tip so that I don't have to change them. I think I've bought every one from garage sales or flea markets.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:26 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E/AT545
Not to start a worldwide debate but what is an ok grease grade for chassis?
GTSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use Lucas Red N tacky for all my chassis zerks on all the busses.

I know there are technically supposed to be different greases for different items.. but that would mean id be maintaining several grease guns each wit ha different type.. and would likely never end up greasing anything..

so my reasoning is red n tacky is a good general grease that is Much better than if I didnt grease at all. the red makes it easy to see when im pushing clean grease out of the joint. its also easy to find about anywhere.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:28 AM   #25
Bus Geek

We use citgo lithoplex in the shop. Any bearing/chassis grease that's nlgi gc/lb rated/certified will likely be fine.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:45 PM   #26
Bus Nut

For some reason every store around me only seems to carry like two tubes of grease at any given time. Fortunately I used about a tube and a half of red 'n tacky today on my first lube job and I had two on hand. I like the lincoln air powered grease gun, very easy to use and it has a nice bleeder on it in case you do get some air in there. I didn't run it completely out of grease before changing cartridges so fortunately I didn't have any air bubble issues.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:42 AM   #27
Bus Geek

I had heard a year ago that the largest grease manufacturer in the US had a massive fire at their plant outside of chicago, and to expect shortages as a result. We stocked up with several cases, but I've yet to see an actual shortage.

Was the stores out of all grease, or just the lucas stuff you were looking for? A lot of your specialty lube manufacturers don't leave much margin for stores/shops, so they'll often stock very little of it, while stocking stuff with better margins. I know my napa might have a tube/bottle or two of lucas, whereas they'll have cases of house brand.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:45 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Turns out the fire was legitimate, not sure yet on the shortage though.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:50 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I had heard a year ago that the largest grease manufacturer in the US had a massive fire at their plant outside of chicago, and to expect shortages as a result. We stocked up with several cases, but I've yet to see an actual shortage.

Was the stores out of all grease, or just the lucas stuff you were looking for? A lot of your specialty lube manufacturers don't leave much margin for stores/shops, so they'll often stock very little of it, while stocking stuff with better margins. I know my napa might have a tube/bottle or two of lucas, whereas they'll have cases of house brand.
The local auto parts stores (autozone, oreilly) have little teeny racks for grease and only have about two tubes of maybe 5 varieties of grease on the shelf at any given time.