Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Radiator fins fell out! Options? 2003 Thomas rear engine

Well, no sooner did I drive my newly acquired bus off the lot than all the radiator fins got sucked right out and scattered all over the engine compartment. I just got a ballpark estimate of $5k from one Thomas dealer for a new radiator... Waiting on another place to call back...

It's a 2003 Thomas HDX rear engine with a CAT 3126. Does anybody have any tips on how to find a replacement radiator without pawning off a kidney? I'm feeling like a real sucker right now. =(

Edit: To be more specific, I'm talking about the lowermost heat exchanger in the rear passenger side access panel. It appears to be connected to the engine coolant system, to my untrained eye.

cromulence police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Post a picture.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Here ya go. I got a quote from a radiator shop in MD: 1100 for a rebuild or 1600 for a new one. Seems slightly less unreasonable, but he'd have to order the part and I can't hang around MD for that long, so I'm going to try and let it ride for the moment. The bus still seems to be running fine so far... Water temp hasn't gone above 175. We'll see how it does on the interstate...
Attached Thumbnails
20170726_130338.jpg   20170726_130309.jpg   20170726_130326.jpg  
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Not knowing what ambient temperatures you're running in, but hearing that it apparently still cools fine, I wonder whether you might be looking at a transmission cooler or charge air cooler rather than radiator. I mention this because I'm not familiar with the Thomas, but often when viewed from the outside it's the charge air cooler that is seen, not the radiator. There might be several coolers in the stack-up. If so then you'd have to look carefully at the place where each hose connects to determine whether it goes to the cooler at the front or back of the stack.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, that did occur to me, but I'm pretty sure it's the radiator. It connects directly to the engine, and to the coolant reservoir. Plus the guy at the radiator shop seemed to agree, after looking at it.

Is anybody aware of a school bus salvage yard where I might find a replacement on the low low?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
It looks as though the tubes are all good. There is probably s radiator shop where you are heading. Maybe call ahead, order it and have them do it. if it hasn't sprung a leak, you are ok for the short term, but no guarantee that it won't blow out any time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
sorry to see, but Cool!

looks like the fins came out in the corresponding shape of the fan's air draw. it sucked those fins right out!
Old 07-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
"...the fins fell out..."

That's a new one on me (?).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
"...the fins fell out..."

That's a new one on me (?).
I have seen it in a 73 triumph tr6 that sat for years. Not as bad as that. I think it has to do with water sitting in the fins. It can be rebuilt, at a cost.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
https://vimeo.com/131318663
Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
When the fins delaminate from the core like that the tubes are not far behind. Corrosion has eaten the solder holding it together. May blow at any time. Keep an eye on it for the trip home and stay safe.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Where are you? Where did your bus do service, because it's obvious that little maintenance was performed.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I bought the bus from a church in Maryland that seemed to be selling them through some arrangement with the school district. (Title was still in the district's name.) Found it on ebay originally. After buying it I noticed a note posted above the door reading "SPARE BUS - radio shop" which I kind of wish I'd spotted a bit earlier... Oh well!

I drove it up to NYC to put all my stuff in it and now I'm about 1/4 of the way through driving it down to Florida. I decided to go ahead and buy a bus after finding out that a one-way moving truck rental would've cost about $2k. I probably would have waited for one in better condition otherwise.

I'm having to limit my speeds pretty severely on the freeway during the daytime, but much less so at night when ambient temps are lower. 40-45 during the day and 50-60 at night, with occasional breaks if i accidentally push too hard. Really wishing it had cruise control right now!

Edit: What do yall know about the max temp for the CAT 3126E210? I've found a few different answers on Google in the 175-190 range. I've definitely let it get up to 200 a few times when I wasn't paying enough attention, but not for more than 5-10 minutes or so at a time. Should I be worried?
Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

This might sound crazy but it's worth a shot... Try to rig a container of water to drip down the radiator giving you a little extra cooling since you've lost all of the fins. Might help with some evaporative cooling anyway.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromulence police View Post
I bought the bus from a church in Maryland that seemed to be selling them through some arrangement with the school district. (Title was still in the district's name.) Found it on ebay originally. After buying it I noticed a note posted above the door reading "SPARE BUS - radio shop" which I kind of wish I'd spotted a bit earlier... Oh well!

I drove it up to NYC to put all my stuff in it and now I'm about 1/4 of the way through driving it down to Florida. I decided to go ahead and buy a bus after finding out that a one-way moving truck rental would've cost about $2k. I probably would have waited for one in better condition otherwise.

I'm having to limit my speeds pretty severely on the freeway during the daytime, but much less so at night when ambient temps are lower. 40-45 during the day and 50-60 at night, with occasional breaks if i accidentally push too hard. Really wishing it had cruise control right now!

Edit: What do yall know about the max temp for the CAT 3126E210? I've found a few different answers on Google in the 175-190 range. I've definitely let it get up to 200 a few times when I wasn't paying enough attention, but not for more than 5-10 minutes or so at a time. Should I be worried?
I am not an expert on bus engine installations or anything so take this for what it is... a strainers opinion on an Internet forum !

I started a very complete answer to this question but it went 'poof' into the either so here is a shorter version ... the water temp can go above normal boiling point in ambient pressure I n a presurised system and be ok, in fact the system will be more efficient that way because of the larger difference between the radiator and ambient air. With the loss of fins the system will go to a higher temp and find its equilibrium. I run Air (temp) to Boil tests on large machinery from time to time. So at 100degC I would be ok ( convert to F yourself ) if the temp continues to rise then there is not enough cooling surface area to get to equilibrium. Check to make sure the pressure cap is holding pressure..!

Good luck
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote