Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Catapiller
Ran out of gas in one tank...won't start.

Hey all, I have had my 39 ft 1980 Thomas built deisel pusher with a 3608 cat engine parked and she wont start right now. Here the scenario.

She was parked and I've been working on her body, starting her up every few weeks. I had one tank full of gas and apparently the other was empty...(gas gauge is broken). I went to start her and she turned over but wouldn't start. we put some more fuel in the empty sounding tank, (the one on the drivers side) but she still wouldn't start. Took out the fuel filter and saw it was low, so we put more diesel in and pumped it in about 10 separate times, and now its wanting to start even more. We sprayed a little starter fluid into the air filter and that made her excited and want to start even more. Still won't start. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a switch for the tanks or if they are just connected and empty simultaneously? Or is there a good trick to getting her to purr? Any help is much appreciated. Or any directions to a person who would be able to tell me more. Thank you!

Help!

out of gas, Gwen

Gwenweiss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
You probably are meaning a 3208 Cat. Either way, you have air in your lines. You need to fill the fuel filter, crack each injector line nearest the injector, starting with the furthest away and pump the pump on the injector pump til fuel comes out and not air. Keep filling the fuel filter.

You're getting close though. Keep at it. Easy does it....and I mean very easy.....on the ether!

Moral of the story...NEVER run out of fuel.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
I've had luck just filling the filter(s), pumping the primer pump, and then cranking it over 10-15 seconds. Repeat until it starts, I usually get it in 3-4 times. If it's bad, you might have to crack the injectors, but I've never had to crack all my lines. If you can get diesel to just one cylinder, tighten that line back down and that will keep the engine going while the air works its way out of the lines, which it will do....eventually.
Our drivers have run buses out of fuel more times than I can count.
And I second the caution with the ether. That is so hard on the engine, best to let the fuel do the work!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
before you fry the starter, make sure of which tank is active. there should be a switch somewhere. follow the fuel line from the tank and see where it goes.

ether will crack pistons!
if you have glow plugs, ether can cause even worse damage to both engine and YOU!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
before you fry the starter, make sure of which tank is active. there should be a switch somewhere. follow the fuel line from the tank and see where it goes.

ether will crack pistons!
if you have glow plugs, ether can cause even worse damage to both engine and YOU!
Your'e damned right!
Seen it happen more than once.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

If you don't have fuel using ether can be really bad. And a diesel engine won't start just on ether--there isn't enough fuel in a shot of ether to get an engine going, it is just a little hot shot to give the fuel a boost.

With two tanks there has to be a switch somewhere to change from one tank to the other. Folllow your fuel lines to determine which one is the one from which you have been pulling fuel.

One tank will also be the tank into which the return line goes. If you are only using one tank make sure the tank you are using is the tank with the return line.

If you have sucked the tank dry it may take 30-gallons or more to have enough fuel to get the transfer pump enough head to pump fuel up to the fuel filter and into the injection pump.

BTDT with a 3208 and it isn't fun.

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Catapiller
Thank you all so much, this really helps. I had someone helping me start it and he was the one recommending we use the ether...not going to do that again. We barely used any. Tomorrow I am going to read all of this with someone who knows a little more than I and go to town. I will fill her with a lot of diesel before we go for anything. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wish me luck!
Gwenweiss22 is offline   Reply With Quote