Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #1

Range Inhibit, check engine light, another light flashing

Hi all, I have a 2007 Thomas Saf T Liner C2 bus. When I turned it on this morning the Range Inhibit light came on. It did go away when I shifted into drive. Hasn’t come on since then but then when I was driving I had the check engine light come on and another flashing light at the top right corner. There are no words on the light but it is near where the transmission light is on online diagrams I look at. I checked all fluids in the bus and it looks like I may have a coolant leak. Other than that I’m not seeing anything else but I don’t know what else to check for. My drive was bumpier today than usual, but the bus drove great through it and I had no concerns for safety. My service isn’t good enough right now to upload a photo of my dash or bus. Any recommendations? Thank you

navigationnowhere94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigationnowhere94 View Post
Hi all, I have a 2007 Thomas Saf T Liner C2 bus. When I turned it on this morning the Range Inhibit light came on. It did go away when I shifted into drive. Hasn’t come on since then but then when I was driving I had the check engine light come on and another flashing light at the top right corner. There are no words on the light but it is near where the transmission light is on online diagrams I look at. I checked all fluids in the bus and it looks like I may have a coolant leak. Other than that I’m not seeing anything else but I don’t know what else to check for. My drive was bumpier today than usual, but the bus drove great through it and I had no concerns for safety. My service isn’t good enough right now to upload a photo of my dash or bus. Any recommendations? Thank you
Welcome to the site. Please help us help you and fill out your user profile.

Also, very helpful feature here, the search button.
Type in “range inhibit” and begin your journey!

Also, if you call “Thomas” busses I have found they are very helpful and as of yet they never denied emailing spec sheets, schematics on your bus, just have the vin number ready!

A wiring schematic is like having the Bible on your bus!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
range inhibit and a cherck engine light.. you should be able to pull the codes from the LCD panel on the dash you C2 is very similar in operation at the dash / engine / trans level to a FL series Freightliner truck chassis, so you can do well looking up procedures based on your engine for that series truck..

range inhibit comes on when the transmission is missing a key component crucial to its operation.. ie a shift solenoid is stuck, on modern SEM equipped engines if the J1939 link goes down it will range inhibit (limp mode) the transmission.. chances are a solenoid or sensor didnt read properly on startup.. this usually sets a general transmission failure code and sends it to the engine ECM (the check engine light illuminates).. then the inhibit or check-trans light will come on.. those 2 ights are generally wired directly to the allison TCM.. if the transmission clears itself for operation the inhibit / check trans light will turn off.. however the check-engine light may stay lit at the vehicle dash if the stored code was serious enough, so you will read it and clear it at least.. most times you need a scan tool to get transmission codes thenmselves unless you have the digital pushbutton shifter then you can read allison codes directly from the trans.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
This happened to me on my 2008 IC about 2-months ago. I had a mechanic isolate it to a bad sensor. In lieu of having the sensor replaced, he recommended pulling the 2 main fuses out for 15-minutes if the issue happened again. If it were a true issue, the sensor would pick it back up again and the light would come back on. If it is truly a sensor issue, then I would probably be fine for weeks.

After checking the fluid of course, this might be something to try to see if you are truly having an issue or just a sensor issue.
cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote