Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
BusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston
Posts: 263
Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Re routing exhuast Dt466e

I know thereís been a lot that have done this.
I need room for underbody storage and would like to have the exhaust exit right before the rear drivers wheels. What are the mechanical Benefits ?
More hp? Less restriction ? Less back pressure ? More airflow ? Less heat? Cooler engine and trans temps?
I guess I could buy an adapter and have a bigger stainless steel tip eventually ?
Also how much more noise is there going to be ? How much louder then stock. I really want to not wake up everyone or really be as loud as my 7.3 e350 which could have an exhaust leak on the down tubes from when I took of the turbo ....

Also thereís some huge ďcatylitic converterĒ donít really quote me not to sure what it is. But bus was from az and has an emission control buttons near driver... whatís that all about ? Also I saw a plaque mentioning something like that.

Hereís a vid just because
https://youtu.be/d6Y9fZPM8Pw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB562E28-A618-4F0C-869A-35244A64107A.jpg (115.0 KB, 13 views)
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I cut off the last 6' of mine and changed the angle to come out about 18" behind the passenger wheel, freeing up that 6' to mount the propane tank. I don't foresee any difference in performance or noise level as the cut is behind the mufflers. I may still change it so it comes out the drivers side right behind the mudflap between the storage boxes.
PS- shorter pipe should make more torque, but in this application I doubt it's noticeable if at all measurable.
I think the design is intended to exit it out the rear so fumes can't get in the windows, so other than that much of the piping on a bus is unnecessary.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Ninjakitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brevard County, FL
Posts: 911
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I was originally planning on going out behind the rear tire. After inspecting the exhaust pipe, I found some holes in it. I cut it out to about the front of the box in the picture. Then using pieces from the original pipe that were good and bends from where it went over the rear differential, I routed it out the passenger side side in front of the rear tire. Held together with band clamps and pipe hangers. About 1000 miles so far and no real noticeable difference. It's not louder.IMG_20190414_072350.jpegIMG_20190414_072648.jpeg
__________________
Nick
Ninjakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I was originally planning on going out behind the rear tire. After inspecting the exhaust pipe, I found some holes in it. I cut it out to about the front of the box in the picture. Then using pieces from the original pipe that were good and bends from where it went over the rear differential, I routed it out the passenger side side in front of the rear tire. Held together with band clamps and pipe hangers. About 1000 miles so far and no real noticeable difference. It's not louder.Attachment 31860Attachment 31861
has anyone put an exhaust stack on a skoolie? - I either have to have a stack, or carry an exhaust extension when I carry sleddogs to get the idling exhaust away from the dogs
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
has anyone put an exhaust stack on a skoolie? - I either have to have a stack, or carry an exhaust extension when I carry sleddogs to get the idling exhaust away from the dogs
Google it. there are 100 examples in images.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Ninjakitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brevard County, FL
Posts: 911
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
If I were to do a stack, I'd just run it up behind the driver's area
__________________
Nick
Ninjakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
If I were to do a stack, I'd just run it up behind the driver's area
Here ya go. :thumb:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (5.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg img_124560_e2d07f6f5efee5bded05b435ee9ddd1e.jpg (51.3 KB, 10 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Here ya go.
thanks - I found that thread and spent the last 3/4 of an hour going through it - ( by the time I get my own rig, I'm going to be one of those 'experts' I disregard so highly - you know the ones, the ones that have all sorts of schooling, even years on years of schooling, that try to tell the 40 year tradesman how to do a job without ever having any hands on experience - lol ) - the grey bus with the stack behind the driver's window makes sense to me
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 1,156
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Build for damage control in the area you live or plan to travel in.
Those look like like schedule 40 steel pipe to me.
A little figuring ou and matching sizes is needed but that possibility is endless.
The less restriction is why you see truck's on the road with stacks at the cab?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 504
That gray one with the stacks doesn't really make sense to me. The length of the pipe, if turned sideways, would put it right in front of the rear wheels. At the same time, it looks like the stack is about the same height above the windows as it would be if it came out standard and exited on the side at the bottom of the skirt.

You could just as easily put a larger pipe under the bus.

I mean, it looks cool, but I'm not seeing much of a practical point. Maybe there's a benefit when idling, but I thought that if you let the bus idle for long enough to the fumes to be a problem, then you're idling too long. (I suppose it could be different in super cold climates when you need to keep it running, but. . . .)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
That gray one with the stacks doesn't really make sense to me. The length of the pipe, if turned sideways, would put it right in front of the rear wheels. At the same time, it looks like the stack is about the same height above the windows as it would be if it came out standard and exited on the side at the bottom of the skirt.

You could just as easily put a larger pipe under the bus.

I mean, it looks cool, but I'm not seeing much of a practical point. Maybe there's a benefit when idling, but I thought that if you let the bus idle for long enough to the fumes to be a problem, then you're idling too long. (I suppose it could be different in super cold climates when you need to keep it running, but. . . .)
I'll be traveling with sled dogs - when they are let out for a pee break, they are fastened to eye bolts on the side of the vehicle, and when you are at a race, there are dog rigs on either side of you - people can get VERY cross when you gas their dogs and of course I don't want to gas my own - sometimes the weather is cold enough that you don't want the vehicle to cool down so much that it may not start again - there are 3 commonly used methods to deal with the problem, well, 4 if you count not idling the vehicle - you can have a flexible or rigid extension that feeds the exhaust away from the dogs, a stack, permanent or temporary, or fasten the dogs on the opposite side of the vehicle that the exhaust is on, but that only works if the wind is blowing the right direction or if you only have a few dogs that can be tied on one side of the vehicle - for the skoolie itself, removing the exhaust from under the vehicle results in more space for under the bus storage
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
BusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston
Posts: 263
Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
So I cut my exhaust and am going to route it just before the rear passenger tire....
I’m wondering now about back pressure . The exhaust didn’t get much louder but the harmonic noise in the bus forsure did.... I also have taken all my windows out though thinking about it now....
any thoughts about engine performance now that I lost almost 12 ft of pipe
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
BusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston
Posts: 263
Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I'll be traveling with sled dogs - when they are let out for a pee break, they are fastened to eye bolts on the side of the vehicle, and when you are at a race, there are dog rigs on either side of you - people can get VERY cross when you gas their dogs and of course I don't want to gas my own - sometimes the weather is cold enough that you don't want the vehicle to cool down so much that it may not start again - there are 3 commonly used methods to deal with the problem, well, 4 if you count not idling the vehicle - you can have a flexible or rigid extension that feeds the exhaust away from the dogs, a stack, permanent or temporary, or fasten the dogs on the opposite side of the vehicle that the exhaust is on, but that only works if the wind is blowing the right direction or if you only have a few dogs that can be tied on one side of the vehicle - for the skoolie itself, removing the exhaust from under the vehicle results in more space for under the bus storage
I cut mine for the storage !!! Hey do you have engien block heater or a diesel heater
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
So I cut my exhaust and am going to route it just before the rear passenger tire....
Iím wondering now about back pressure . The exhaust didnít get much louder but the harmonic noise in the bus forsure did.... I also have taken all my windows out though thinking about it now....
any thoughts about engine performance now that I lost almost 12 ft of pipe
I've seen exhaust come out behind the drivers wheel or out the back of a 40' bus, I doubt any mods we make to them makes any noticeable difference in back pressure. Performance difference will be negligible at best. Those who have done have said they feel the performance increase measured by butt dyno, the most inaccurate tool to use. I have decided to not do a muffler delete as I have heard others say it is conciderably louder, and while sounding cool now, will certainly tax you later with the constant increase in noise. I don't need the minor improvement, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I have the pipe, and clamps and could do the change in less than 10 minutes, but won't.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
BusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston
Posts: 263
Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I've seen exhaust come out behind the drivers wheel or out the back of a 40' bus, I doubt any mods we make to them makes any noticeable difference in back pressure. Performance difference will be negligible at best. Those who have done have said they feel the performance increase measured by butt dyno, the most inaccurate tool to use. I have decided to not do a muffler delete as I have heard others say it is conciderably louder, and while sounding cool now, will certainly tax you later with the constant increase in noise. I don't need the minor improvement, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I have the pipe, and clamps and could do the change in less than 10 minutes, but won't.
I just spent an hour and a half for nothing....
Hahah
Well I needed / wanted the space for underbody storage and hopefully when routes out the side and windows and insulation goes in the noise change will be non existent or at worse just as factory....
I think now I have more of a reason to put spray foam everywhere!!!
Probalay use some dynamat or offbrand stuff also. And considering wrapping exhaust if itís too bad.. after all is done .

I still need to fix the dog houses weather stripping and try to beef up the insulation around there .
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #16
Bus Nut
 
BusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston
Posts: 263
Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I've seen exhaust come out behind the drivers wheel or out the back of a 40' bus, I doubt any mods we make to them makes any noticeable difference in back pressure. Performance difference will be negligible at best. Those who have done have said they feel the performance increase measured by butt dyno, the most inaccurate tool to use. I have decided to not do a muffler delete as I have heard others say it is conciderably louder, and while sounding cool now, will certainly tax you later with the constant increase in noise. I don't need the minor improvement, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I have the pipe, and clamps and could do the change in less than 10 minutes, but won't.


Irrelevant question but .
When I bought the bus the previous owner had an extra door that mirrored the 1st . There big handicap doors....
Then I noticed you did barn doors also....
Well you said now that you have the know how it could be a 3 day job ??

So should I trim these big doors to fit... use the existing back door then add a big one . I kind of planned on raising the doors with my roof raise ?
How much work was really involved
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusT View Post
Irrelevant question but .
When I bought the bus the previous owner had an extra door that mirrored the 1st . There big handicap doors....
Then I noticed you did barn doors also....
Well you said now that you have the know how it could be a 3 day job ??

So should I trim these big doors to fit... use the existing back door then add a big one . I kind of planned on raising the doors with my roof raise ?
How much work was really involved
Hard time picturing your doors. Are they 2 side doors that replaced the old stock rear door and they are bigger than the old stock door? The vertical door jams can be moved in or out. I had to remove the stationary rear windows and fab new skin for the corners, inside and out. I also raised the factory header 4" and added 4" to the tops of the doors.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
BusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston
Posts: 263
Year: 2003
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 30,000
One came off the bus at the handicap door you open to use the wheelchair lift...
The other it the exact same but mirrored ... where the hinges and latch are opposite of it...
I saw yours and thought maybe I could have the barn doors in the back. Take out the regular back door and have to big swinging doors . I would have to trim the doors down width wise a bit....
Re sheet over the gap.... where the lift was...
But Iím thinking but two handicap whee chair doors on the back....
Iím going to raise the roof here pretty soon and might just cut the doors and lengthen them a bit... wel about 18 inches or make a header above them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C7758D5-A87A-43DF-A1EB-8C8A7A99F543.jpg (261.3 KB, 3 views)
BusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dt466e, exhaust, re route, straight piped

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×