Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Rear Budd wheels longer studs?

I have stud piloted wheels (aka Budd) and I'm going to be switching to aluminum for my outer duals. The aluminums are significantly thicker than the current steel rims, so I definitely need a more threads for the outer Budd nuts to thread onto. That means longer inner Budd nuts, or thimbles, as I've heard them called.

My question is, do I also need longer wheel studs? I've read in several places that you need longer studs as well, because otherwise the new, longer thimble is 'empty' at the end and therefore very weak. That makes sense to me, but it seems to be very rarely mentioned online. Both commercial tire shops I've talked to had never heard of this. They said they switch trucks from dual steels to inner steel/outer aluminum all the time and never put in longer studs (just a longer thimble). The tire guys are supposedly experts and have many years of experience (and liability insurance) backing them up. But are they right?

Any thoughts or experience are appreciated!

Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Found the answer

Never mind... I found the answers I needed in the Alcoa service manual. It all comes down to measuring the current stud standout. The manual explains it best, and with pictures:
https://www.alcoawheels.com/alcoawhe...-manual-EN.pdf
Old 06-28-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
I have stud piloted wheels (aka Budd) and I'm going to be switching to aluminum for my outer duals. The aluminums are significantly thicker than the current steel rims, so I definitely need a more threads for the outer Budd nuts to thread onto. That means longer inner Budd nuts, or thimbles, as I've heard them called.

My question is, do I also need longer wheel studs? I've read in several places that you need longer studs as well, because otherwise the new, longer thimble is 'empty' at the end and therefore very weak. That makes sense to me, but it seems to be very rarely mentioned online. Both commercial tire shops I've talked to had never heard of this. They said they switch trucks from dual steels to inner steel/outer aluminum all the time and never put in longer studs (just a longer thimble). The tire guys are supposedly experts and have many years of experience (and liability insurance) backing them up. But are they right?

Any thoughts or experience are appreciated!
On my ‘99 intl/Amtran I changed the steel wheels to aluminum.
I had to change the rear studs as they were not long enough. Aluminum wheels are thicker.

You want at least ten threads showing on the outside of the nut. It is not safe to drive when the nut is flush with the stud, you’ll never know if they become loose until the wheel falls off !
The studs I went with were 1/2” longer than what was originally installed.

Note: mine is not stud piloted.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks for your reply. Ten threads showing?! Holey moley, that's the most I've heard! I wonder if that's just for hub-piloted? My current rear Budd inner cap nuts only have 2-3 thread peeking out from under the outer nuts.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Ten threads showing?! Holey moley, that's the most I've heard! I wonder if that's just for hub-piloted? My current rear Budd inner cap nuts only have 2-3 thread peeking out from under the outer nuts.

mine have 5 or 6 threads showing.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek

too bad you arent closer! i need a couple Budd 22.5's to replace my 2 fronts which are still retainer ring 20's
Old 06-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I'm only $5,000 away from you at todays fuel prices Worth it for some free yellow wheels? And a pretty drive, of course.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:58 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S500
Engine: Dodge 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
too bad you arent closer! i need a couple Budd 22.5's to replace my 2 fronts which are still retainer ring 20's
I have been looking but never found 6 lug 23.5 rims. Have you ever located any? I would love to get rid of the split rims particularly on the front and 22.5 tires are so much easier to find
Unpluggedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:56 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpluggedone View Post
I have been looking but never found 6 lug 23.5 rims. Have you ever located any? I would love to get rid of the split rims particularly on the front and 22.5 tires are so much easier to find

I need to find out.. I remember someone talking about that on the vintage bus forum.. in their case the bus was a thomas Mighty-mite so it was a somewhat light-weight (5 window onb a dodge chassis) and i believe they found 6 lug 19.5" wheels and run 245/70R19.5 tires.. their original tires were fairly low profile.. this obviously wouldnt work if your bus is heavy .. they wanted Aloca's and to lower their bus a bit to make it more of a "hot rod" look ..

there are companies that make replacements for 6 lug that are 22.5.. expensive but they exist..

example here..

https://buytruckwheels.com/products/...UaArVMEALw_wcB
Old 07-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S500
Engine: Dodge 318
Thanks, that is what I’ve been looking for. Just gotta check my bolt spacing. It’s a 1967 Thomas 10 window. Sure would be good to have some real rubber up front on a rim that I don’t cringe every time I walk past.
Unpluggedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:44 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpluggedone View Post
Thanks, that is what I’ve been looking for. Just gotta check my bolt spacing. It’s a 1967 Thomas 10 window. Sure would be good to have some real rubber up front on a rim that I don’t cringe every time I walk past.

wow! sweet bus.. ive only ever seen the thomas mighty mite with 6 lug wheels on a dodge... never a 10 window. just goes to show like everything else on this forum.. if you can think of the wierdest combo.. some school probably ordered a bus with it...