Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Reman vs new Air Dryer?

It's looking like my Bendix AD9 (065612) air dryer is leaking, and given that I'm new to buses and the air system is a very critical system, I'd rather replace the whole dryer than try to save a few bucks rebuilding it. That being said, I've seen reman units on eBay that are $150-200 or so. I called my local Thomas dealer and I can get a new one for $466.91.

I'm thinking the new unit is the "safe" choice, but it's spendy. Is there anywhere else I should look for good quality remanufactured units? I see lots of AD9 variants, but the one I need with that specific part number is sort of shorter than the "typical" AD9s I find when searching around.

I've attached some pictures of mine for reference. No visible part number but the form factor matches 065612 perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
21-06-16 20-09-56 3550.jpg   21-06-16 20-15-43 3560.jpg   21-06-16 20-10-17 3552.jpg  

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
That's an ADIP dryer, not an ad9. Those can be a pain to service, because the center bolt will corrode to the dryer cartridge and aluminum housing badly. You might have to use a heavy duty strap wrench, and a breaker bar with a pipe to get it to spin off.

Yours looks like it hasn't been serviced in years, so good luck with it if you do plan on service/rebuild. A reman might be your best bet.

You can upgrade that to an ad9. But it is a taller unit, so you might have to get creative with the bracketry. Especially if you intend on servicing an ad9, because it can't be located closely to the floor like yours currently is.

Either dryer will work fine, it's just the adip will install as is. An ad9 might require some work.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
That's an ADIP dryer, not an ad9. Those can be a pain to service, because the center bolt will corrode to the dryer cartridge and aluminum housing badly. You might have to use a heavy duty strap wrench, and a breaker bar with a pipe to get it to spin off.

Yours looks like it hasn't been serviced in years, so good luck with it if you do plan on service/rebuild. A reman might be your best bet.

You can upgrade that to an ad9. But it is a taller unit, so you might have to get creative with the bracketry. Especially if you intend on servicing an ad9, because it can't be located closely to the floor like yours currently is.

Either dryer will work fine, it's just the adip will install as is. An ad9 might require some work.

Good info! I'll likely stick with the ADIP then, I don't think I can relocate it without a ton of extra work. I'll try searching for reman ADIPs before going with the new unit from the dealer.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Reman units are fine. I will second refitting an AD9 because they are so common, and if yours goes out while on the road (it can and does happen), a replacement can be easily found and you'll be on your way.
It looks to me like your mounting plate bolts onto something else, so it could be unbolted, an "extender" plate installed and the mounting plate bolted back to it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
And if you do go for a new unit, stay with a Bendix and not a Chinese clone. You'll be replacing it in a year. I needed to swap my AD9 out and based on reviews for those who bought a clone, most had issues after a year. I paid $330 delivered from a online truck parts supplier.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my AD4 clone in my DEV bus lasted 4 years and srtill worked but the check valve went bad (according to someone here).. I got a clone AD9 and stuck in.. will see how long it lasts..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote