Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Here's an overall view of where the hose originates...basically it's underneath the big (coolant?) hose in the foreground of this pic, down in between a bunch of other fittings, basically right underneath the edge of the driver's platform.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3633.jpg  

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The hose in blue is intake air from the intercooler. You can pull that off without any issue or mess.

If you're replacing the hose, cut the stainless hose off the fitting and then unscrew the fitting from the elbow with a socket and ratchet. Use penetrating oil as well. This shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
The hose in blue is intake air from the intercooler. You can pull that off without any issue or mess.

If you're replacing the hose, cut the stainless hose off the fitting and then unscrew the fitting from the elbow with a socket and ratchet. Use penetrating oil as well. This shouldn't be too difficult.
DUH, I knew that hose looked kind of big to be related to the coolant system, but since it went into the radiator I assumed it was a coolant hose. WOW. Well that makes it a lot easier. Also cutting the old hose... yeah.

Dealership quoted $115 for a replacement hose and they have one in stock, I'll see what NAPA can do later today once I figure out which location to call.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #24
Bus Nut

OK, nobody local had braided hose on hand so I ordered the one that the dealer had in stock.

One more question…looking at it tonight, I think I’ll need to remove the intercooler hose as well as the rubber hose underneath it. This looks like an air line as it comes off the compressor, but I wanted to make sure before I make a mess.

I circled the closeup of the end going into the compressor in blue, then circled the overall hose going to…I’m not sure what on the right in red. (Side note, what is that yellow valve for?)
Attached Thumbnails
0FE92F6F-D809-4425-936A-5A1901BEBA13.jpg   A86E3E15-8594-41F7-AC0B-2A0DBA1BFACF.jpg  
Old 08-05-2021, 07:47 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Air compressor can either be liquid cooled or air cooled. Yours looks to be liquid cooled, so if the blue hose in your first picture turns into the red hose in the second, that's a coolant hose for the compressor. Removing that will leak coolant.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Air compressor can either be liquid cooled or air cooled. Yours looks to be liquid cooled, so if the blue hose in your first picture turns into the red hose in the second, that's a coolant hose for the compressor. Removing that will leak coolant.
Rats. That one is REALLY in the way. Guess I'll just work around it as best I can.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Drain the coolant and remove it if it's that much in the way. It's not that it can't be removed
Old 08-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Drain the coolant and remove it if it's that much in the way. It's not that it can't be removed
Yeah, I think I just have a fear of messing with coolant lines and accidentally introducing air into the system or something. I am not an experienced mechanic and I don't really have a good "oh $h1t what did I do please help" contact to bail me out
Old 08-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Here's an overall view of where the hose originates...basically it's underneath the big (coolant?) hose in the foreground of this pic, down in between a bunch of other fittings, basically right underneath the edge of the driver's platform.
Hello db
From looking at the angle of this photo it looks like your bus may have missed an important recall relating to the throttle. Recall affected approx 18,000 units, the pedal proximity to the floor scuff plate can cause the pedal to contact the plate and stick in the full throttle position. I'm sure that woke a few bus drivers up! I believe the fix was to raise the whole assemble a little bit. Recall number was FL570. Dealer can confirm from your serial number or check clearance by hand with engine off.
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Hello db
From looking at the angle of this photo it looks like your bus may have missed an important recall relating to the throttle. Recall affected approx 18,000 units, the pedal proximity to the floor scuff plate can cause the pedal to contact the plate and stick in the full throttle position. I'm sure that woke a few bus drivers up! I believe the fix was to raise the whole assemble a little bit. Recall number was FL570. Dealer can confirm from your serial number or check clearance by hand with engine off.
Cheers

I’ll check the recalls, but according to the dealer it’s all up to date. I checked the pedal travel today and I couldn’t find a way for it to stick. Good looking out though!
Old 08-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Both.

What you have likely has a specific part number, but there are generic teflon lined stainless braided air compressor hoses available. Your typical heavy duty shop should be able to set you up with something that will work.
Yeah that.
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:04 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Well, I went to try to take the air line off the compressor tonight, removed the big intercooler hose no problem, but getting a closer look, I can see that there's just no way I can get a wrench around the air hose fitting going into the compressor. It's basically nestled inside the frame rail, even looking from the bottom the frame rail is in the way of any tool I can think of. I'm thinking the only way to get it off is to unbolt the compressor, which is no doubt a big messy job.

Am I missing anything obvious? If it really comes down to removing the compressor I'll probably just have to fork out money to a mechanic, I'm not comfortable trying to drop the compressor unless it's stupid easy for some reason.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #33
Bus Geek

What you're missing is a crows foot wrench. Preferably a crows foot flare nut wrench to keep it from rounding something off.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
What you're missing is a crows foot wrench. Preferably a crows foot flare nut wrench to keep it from rounding something off.

Right on, I've seen those before but never really knew what they were for or how they work! I'll stop by Lowe's later and see if I can find a Craftsman variant, I'm getting real tired of Harbor Freight tools.

I still might have to remove that smaller hose below the intercooler, I'm reasonably certain it's coolant going into the compressor as you had mentioned before. I'm guessing it should only be a small amount of coolant but I'll make sure I have a clean bucket handy. Dumb question: can I just put that coolant into the overflow tank once I get the line reattached or do I need to pour it in somewhere else?
Old 08-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Right on, I've seen those before but never really knew what they were for or how they work! I'll stop by Lowe's later and see if I can find a Craftsman variant, I'm getting real tired of Harbor Freight tools.

I still might have to remove that smaller hose below the intercooler, I'm reasonably certain it's coolant going into the compressor as you had mentioned before. I'm guessing it should only be a small amount of coolant but I'll make sure I have a clean bucket handy. Dumb question: can I just put that coolant into the overflow tank once I get the line reattached or do I need to pour it in somewhere else?
Be sure to plug the hose and fitting you removed it from. Being low on the engine, you have the capability of dumping most of the cooling system contents by removing that hose. A thumb from a nylon glove and rubber band can suffice as a quick cap.

Add any removed/spilled coolant the tank up front. Your tank actually has the cap on it and is under pressure, so it's not called an overflow or recovery tank, but a surge or expansion tank fwiw.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #36
Bus Nut

It’s actually at the top of the engine, so I don’t think too much should come out, but I’m sure I’ll find out! Good tip on the glove and rubber band.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Nobody local carries much in the way of crowfoot wrenches, and especially not 1", so I ended up finding a set on Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. I'm pretty sure with the adapter I'll be able to reach it from the top or the bottom; bottom might give me better access as there's a big hole in the frame rail made for such work, it's just naturally more of a PITA as it's overhead and hard to see down there.