Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Rusty air tanks - replace now or wait?

Intuition is telling me "now", but I wanted to get some advice from those who have more experience here.

As you can see, my air tanks are fairly rusty, but seem to be mechanically sound. The only leak I seem to have right now is coming from the air dryer, which I plan to replace. I was contemplating replacing the air tanks at the same time (all 4 to the tune of $159 each). My question is, is it really worthwhile to replace them now, or do we think they're still serviceable?

Obviously I'm not asking about my specific tanks, moreso the experiences of others that have had rusty air tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
21-06-16 20-10-30 3553.jpg   21-06-16 20-12-32 3558.jpg   21-06-12 20-33-07 3478.jpg  

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Intuition is telling me "now", but I wanted to get some advice from those who have more experience here.

As you can see, my air tanks are fairly rusty, but seem to be mechanically sound. The only leak I seem to have right now is coming from the air dryer, which I plan to replace. I was contemplating replacing the air tanks at the same time (all 4 to the tune of $159 each). My question is, is it really worthwhile to replace them now, or do we think they're still serviceable?

Obviously I'm not asking about my specific tanks, moreso the experiences of others that have had rusty air tanks.
Ospho and por15, you should be fine after that.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'd maybe get a pro to look at the tanks and see if they warrant replacing, but yours look comparable to how mine looked originally (in fact your whole underside looks similar to mine) and mine is OK after just some scraping and a couple of treatments of Ospho (I've meant to prime and paint mine but never got around to it).

Rust is about 6 to 7 times the volume of the iron/steel it derives from, so a very small amount of corrosion (in terms of % of the original material and loss of thickness) can produce some very nasty-looking scale.