Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #21
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,264
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Well, they use gas powered high cfm high psi compressors costing thousands of dollars compared to my $40 HF compressor and their bead blasters are lightweight aluminum and cost much more. Like comparing an ant to an elephant.

True they use much larger, faster, more powerful and expensive air compressors, but the bead blasters are all very similar (and I've seen plenty of steel ones, even home made ones in use.) I can honestly say I have no less than four air compressors - one of those El Cheapo cigarette lighter ones, a 20 gallon portable, a 60 gallon shop compressor, and of course the one on the bus itself.

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #22
Bus Nut
 
ermracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Claremont, NH
Posts: 483
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Gracias to all. Absolutely no problems. Took surface streets the whole way.
Our new tires are sick!
Our buses must know when we are getting new tires. One of our rear tires (outer) went flat a week or so before we were due to get our new ones mounted. I ended up driving it the 10 miles to the shop (fully converted, approx 20,000 lbs) without an issue. Rural back roads with some city.

We ended up with the Falken BI850. So far so good.
__________________
Dave
ermracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #23
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,779
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Well, they use gas powered high cfm high psi compressors costing thousands of dollars compared to my $40 HF compressor and their bead blasters are lightweight aluminum and cost much more. Like comparing an ant to an elephant.
Pretty sure both my local tire guys use these-
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Co...0010/301119995
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #24
Bus Crazy
 
TheHubbardBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: SW USA
Posts: 2,064
Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Our buses must know when we are getting new tires. One of our rear tires (outer) went flat a week or so before we were due to get our new ones mounted. I ended up driving it the 10 miles to the shop (fully converted, approx 20,000 lbs) without an issue. Rural back roads with some city.

We ended up with the Falken BI850. So far so good.

Those are bad-ass, @ermracing. If I had known they existed they'd have been contenders for sure! Have you tested them out in questionable traction situations yet?


Wish I could fault our bus for breaking a bead in anticipation Sadly it was solely my doing. Note to self: Trying to level a bus by airing down the tires is no bueno
__________________
Go away. 'Baitin.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #25
Bus Nut
 
ermracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Claremont, NH
Posts: 483
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Those are bad-ass, @ermracing. If I had known they existed they'd have been contenders for sure! Have you tested them out in questionable traction situations yet?


Wish I could fault our bus for breaking a bead in anticipation Sadly it was solely my doing. Note to self: Trying to level a bus by airing down the tires is no bueno
A 20-ton bottle jack is about $30 and/or some slabs of 2x8's would work.

We haven't really tested the Falkens on rough stuff yet. The only outing we have taken with them is on some snow covered dirt roads, but as you can see in my profile picture, we had a little help with traction.....
__________________
Dave
ermracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.