Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Sanity check before I change my steering gear.

On the 400 mile drive home while picking up my bus, I noted an occasional front end shimmy. I have since jacked up each front tire and checked for play on king pins and tie rod ends - none observed when pressing with pry bar. I have found that the steering gear box output shaft has about 1/16" play when moving the end of the pitman from side to side. It is also starting to leak fluid from the shaft (not enough to show low in reservoir).
My thoughts are - if there is enough play for shaft to move that far, it is pointless to try and swap shaft seal. I plan to remove the gearbox and take it to a truck parts house and see if they have a rebuilt replacement for swap.

Bus is a 1999 TC-2000 FE. Is there a power steering fluid filter in the system?? Any gotcha's I should be aware of?? My plan is - wheels are currently pointed straight ahead. Remove pitman arm, replace gearbox. Connect hydraulic hoses and crank bus. Turn steering back and forth to find approximate center of steering travel. Re-attach pitman arm.

I am fairly early in my build out, so most travel will be local. I had planned on replacing both steer tires and having the front end looked at by truck tire shop then. Wanted to avoid that expense right now, since it's gonna sit for a while until build is further along.

Open to suggestions/comments by those who have experience in these matters. My mechanical expertise is about a 5 out of 10. I wouldn't attempt an engine overhaul, but have changed clutches, wheel bearings, brakes, etc in cars and light trucks.

TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
There is usually a filter in the power steering reservoir that can be replaced. Every gearbox I replaced I had to follow the procedure for setting the poppets. This is done after filling the fluid, running engine and keeping fluid full, and then turn the steering lock to lock with a little pressure at each lock. Do this with the front wheels off the ground. The reman or new box will have instructions.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Thanks for the reply. I picked up a 3/4" drive deep well socket set tonight, along with a 3/4" breaker bar since I didn't have any 1 1/8" sockets. Got all the mounting bolts loosened and the pittman arm removed. After reading your post regarding poppets, I found this:
https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globa...1108_02_07.pdf
to read up on what I'm getting into. Although I'm treading on new ground, I think I should do as much as I can mechanically so that one day when I'm 200 miles from anywhere in Montana or North Dakota I'll be better prepared to handle whatever I'm faced with on the road.
Still plan to have the pros check behind me when I get my annual inspection done.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote