Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2022, 06:19 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Added some fluid... Expensive stuff must be made of liquid gold.. No luck. Put it in neutral with parking brake disengaged and hooked up my f150 in 4x4 low with a chain... Though if the brakes are not stuck it should move at least an inch... (Not sure how true is my thinking.. F150 has bold tires and the bus is parked on grass)... No luck there... So stuck brakes are looking more and more like a facorable diagnosis.. So if anyone has a Hayne's manual for a school bus or at least to how to get the drive shaft off. That would be helpful...

ateymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:36 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateymura View Post
Added some fluid... Expensive stuff must be made of liquid gold.. No luck. Put it in neutral with parking brake disengaged and hooked up my f150 in 4x4 low with a chain... Though if the brakes are not stuck it should move at least an inch... (Not sure how true is my thinking.. F150 has bold tires and the bus is parked on grass)... No luck there... So stuck brakes are looking more and more like a facorable diagnosis.. So if anyone has a Hayne's manual for a school bus or at least to how to get the drive shaft off. That would be helpful...
IMO fluid was never the answer.
Torque of a F150 is not anywhere near a DT466 so if it is stuck brakes, then pulling it with a F150 leaves you with stuck brakes.
Before you remove a driveshaft (which will leave you with stuck brakes) see if you can remove the drum of the parking brake. Best I can tell it looks to be 4 bolts and it would slide past the u-joint. But if it slides then its not stuck. That would take it to the calipers not moving due to rust of maybe a rubber hose line with a deteriorated interior lining.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
Torque of a F150 is not anywhere near a DT466 so if it is stuck brakes, then pulling it with a F150 leaves you with stuck brakes.
Before you remove a driveshaft (which will leave you with stuck brakes) see if you can remove the drum of the parking brake. Best I can tell it looks to be 4 bolts and it would slide past the u-joint. But if it slides then its not stuck. That would take it to the calipers not moving due to rust of maybe a rubber hose line with a deteriorated interior lining.
I agree with all you said. Since the parking brake differed from mine I decided not to comment further but I noted that in the picture, the parking brake drum looks like mine. I believe the drum will clear the U joint. The real question in
my mind was whether those rusty bolts will break loose or break off. Breaking off -- would be bad.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
I wasn't thinking that f150 can move the bus if the brakes are stuck. I merely was trying to confirm that they are stuck and it is not the transmission. The thinking was that if the brakes are not stuck and the transmission is in neutral the little half-tonn should be able to at least rock it.

The drum is secured with 8 small bolts (5/8 socket). I was able to remove the bolts. The drum would definitely slide past the yoke if i could slide it past the shoes.

Long story sort... I hammered the drum free and rotated it in place but was unable to move it over the shoes. Bolted the drum back. And was able to move the bus. So the culprit was the stuck parking brake!!!!
Old 07-30-2022, 01:49 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Engine: VT-365
Rated Cap: 29760 GVWR
Quote:
I wasn't thinking that f150 can move the bus if the brakes are stuck. I merely was trying to confirm that they are stuck and it is not the transmission. The thinking was that if the brakes are not stuck and the transmission is in neutral the little half-tonn should be able to at least rock it.

The drum is secured with 8 small bolts (5/8 socket). I was able to remove the bolts. The drum would definitely slide past the yoke if i could slide it past the shoes.

Long story sort... I hammered the drum free and rotated it in place but was unable to move it over the shoes. Bolted the drum back. And was able to move the bus. So the culprit was the stuck parking brake!!!!
Good for you bud! Thanks for the happy ending!
Samarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #26
Bus Nut

So there is likely a ridge on the edge of the drum caused by wear. So you're going to pull it and fix it . . . right?
Old 07-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:

Thanks for the follow-up. Many would have moved on, never to post again. The shoes could have dirt or rust preventing the shoes from completely retracting. Like Oldyeller says a ridge could be an issue especially if it were towed with the ebrake on, if that's possible.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:26 PM   #28

Have you checked to see if the serpentine belt is still intact

I had a bus sitting over winter and when I went to to start it it cranked but I couldn’t get to engage . I noticed the air pressure wouldn’t build so I suspected a problem with the air system. After looking under the hood I realized the belt wasn’t turning and a little juggle revealed the serpentine had broken during the winter. Worth checking.
Oxymoronof85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
So there is likely a ridge on the edge of the drum caused by wear. So you're going to pull it and fix it . . . right?
Definetly! Will pull the drum before summer ends and will even paint the outside if it is savable. The shoes had a lot of meat on them left.
Will even do transmission fluid/filter change, already got both filters (spin-on and internal). Just hope that the wet spots are nothing serous... Like a rear main seal or something similar... But at least now i can move the bus around the yard and proceed with the build.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:57 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoronof85 View Post
I had a bus sitting over winter and when I went to to start it it cranked but I couldn’t get to engage . I noticed the air pressure wouldn’t build so I suspected a problem with the air system. After looking under the hood I realized the belt wasn’t turning and a little juggle revealed the serpentine had broken during the winter. Worth checking.
Sometimes i wish i had air brakes... But mine are hydraulic.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:21 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
thanks for posting

Pleased to hear you were able to move the bus and you were able to report what you found was the problem.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Definetly! Will pull the drum before summer ends and will even paint the outside if it is savable. The shoes had a lot of meat on them left.
Will even do transmission fluid/filter change, already got both filters (spin-on and internal). Just hope that the wet spots are nothing serous... Like a rear main seal or something similar... But at least now i can move the bus around the yard and proceed with the build.
So, when I read your post I suddenly thought, "Wait, how does an emergency brake get a ridge on the drum?" Ridges on brake drums are usually caused by long term wear from repeated application of the brakes. An E-brake shouldn't be used like that. In fact an E-brake should ONLY be applied when the vehicle is stopped so no wear at all that might lead to a ridge.

It's possible that E-brake has been in contact with the drum for a long time - OR - the ridge is actually an accretion of rust particles. I'd be interested to hear what you find when you get that drum off.

Anyway, it's nice to hear that you got to the bottom of the problem and it was pretty easy to fix.

Tags
brakes stuck?, transmission wont engage?